advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is(le) be seeing you?!....'Gilligan's Island' theme song trivia.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 26, 2021 02:32PM
.......season 1 opening sequence had no 'The Professor and Mary Ann'.......it just said 'and all the rest'.......

.....here is the reason why it eventually got changed....

Gilligan’s Island: Why Weren’t Mary Ann and the Professor in the Opening Theme Song?

....One of the most frequently asked questions about Gilligan’s Island is “Why were The Professor and Mary Ann referred to as ‘the rest’ in the show’s opening? There were only seven castaways!”

In season one, Bob Denver, Alan Hale Jr., Jim Backus, Natalie Schafer, and Tina Louise were in the opening theme but Russell Johnson and Dawn Wells weren’t. Why?

Well, you may not be aware that some of the characters in the series weren’t quite the same in the original pilot. Ginger was a practical redheaded secretary, played by Kit Smythe. Nancy McCarthy played Bunny (not Mary Ann) and she was a stereotypical dumb blonde secretary. John Gabriel played the very serious Professor.

In order to get the series greenlighted by CBS, creator Sherwood Schwartz had to do some reworking and recasting. As a result, we ended up with the cast and characters we know today.

Of the three new performers, Tina Louise was the first to sign. She was in a Broadway play and they had to buy out the rest of her contract to sign her for Gilligan’s Island. Wells once recalled that Louise’s contract stipulated her billing, that she be the last person in the opening credits. Wells and Johnson signed on later so they were put in the end credits.

For season two, when the TV show was filmed in color, the opening credits were changed and the Professor and Mary Ann took their place behind Ginger. What brought on the change? It turns out that even Wells never knew the real reason, until a 1995 Today Show interview.

Denver later recounted that his contract stipulated he could choose his billing. He asked that Wells and Johnson be moved up with the rest of the cast. The network refused so he told them he wanted last billing, in the end credits only. Since he played the title character and that would look very strange, they had no choice but to redo the theme. It’s not clear but they either found a way to work around Louise’s contract stipulation or she agreed to the change.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2021 02:37PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is(le) be seeing you?!....'Gilligan's Island' theme song trivia.....
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: September 26, 2021 04:01PM
The words and music of the "Gilligan's Island" theme song, "Amazing Grace", and "House of the Rising Sun" are easily interchangeable. The words to "Amazing Grace" sung to the music of "House of the Rising Sun" sounds great, the words to "House of the Rising Sun" sung to the music of the "Gilligan's Island" theme song sounds, well, bizarre.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 26, 2021 05:26PM
I bought the entire series on DVD about 10 years ago, came in three boxes. It includes the original pilot. This was one of my our favorite series as kids.

Grateful11
Posted by: ArtP
Date: September 26, 2021 07:01PM
Wow - totally different: ORIGINAL "LOST PILOT" THEME SONG.
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 26, 2021 07:38PM
Then there's this gem to bring you pleasant dreams tonight.
Posted by: tenders
Date: September 26, 2021 08:04PM
There will be no dissing of Puddles on my watch. He is an excellent singer.

If you look carefully at the intro to GI, you’ll notice that the flags on shore are flying at half mast. This is because that B-roll was shot just a few days after JFK’s assassination.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2021 04:32AM by tenders.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 27, 2021 03:06PM
wurm

Well, Puddles can sing OK, but the original of this by Little Roger and the Goosebumps (who my wife went to high school with) is vastly better than the Puddles cover. Here you go: [www.youtube.com]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: decay
Date: September 27, 2021 03:54PM
davester
wurm

Well, Puddles can sing OK, but the original of this by Little Roger and the Goosebumps (who my wife went to high school with) is vastly better than the Puddles cover. Here you go: [www.youtube.com]

To follow the stairway tangent, try this one:
[www.youtube.com]

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020