advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Current thinking on best iphone extended warranty plan?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 26, 2021 03:09PM
One of my kids is trying to decide if they should buy an extended warranty for their new iPhone 13 Mini. AFAIK, choices are:

Applecare + $149
Applecare + with theft & Loss $219
Squaretrade or other service ?
No coverage at all.

Because they aren’t sure who their carrier will be, they will probably buy an unlocked phone.

Any insights or suggestions here?

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2021 03:11PM by Ammo.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Current thinking on best iphone extended warranty plan?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 26, 2021 04:10PM
See if Costco extends their 1 year Concierge coverage to iphones and if they do buy it with a Costco Visa. you'll have:

1 year Apple Warranty
1 year Costco Concierge Warranty
1 year Costco Visa Warranty.

That's what I did with my iMac. I've been having an issue post Apple Warranty and called Costco Concierge. When the troubleshooting got beyond their pay grade they turned me over to Apple and a dedicated tech support person has been working with me since August with no charge to me.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2021 04:10PM by graylocks.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 26, 2021 04:32PM
One advantage to AppleCare now is that you can move to a perpetual warranty after the initial coverage period (I think for iPhones that would mean moving to the monthly plan).

So, if they plan to keep them longer than 2-3 years, that might be useful, but if they are on a 2 year upgrade cycle, then it may not make a difference.

SquareTrade has always been good to me, but I haven't bought one of their warranties in a long long time (mostly b/c I used to buy them on used eBay items and they jacked the prices up on those warranties so it's no longer worth it). Looks like they have perpetual (monthly) plans as well, as well as family plans. But note that "A $149 deductible applies to all SquareTrade smartphone claims." AppleCare has different deductible amounts depending on the damage, and no deductible for failures/defects.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 26, 2021 04:33PM
What kind of kid wants a *smaller* phone? ;)

How is their track record with previous phones? I would think thft and loss would only be beneficial if they were prone to those things... or operated in an environment where potentially those things could happen a loat?

Get a case. Even a $10 clear TPU case is 1000% better. If they are especially hard on it... go with a tougher.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 26, 2021 05:51PM
Are they a college student?

[www.nssi.com]

more than just the phone - everything they own.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 26, 2021 06:03PM
Ombligo
Are they a college student?

[www.nssi.com]

more than just the phone - everything they own.

That is an awesome option for a college student. got my son's shattered screen iphone replaced with it.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Mactel
Date: September 28, 2021 02:27PM
My vote is AppleCare+. Back glass replacement cost just dropped to $29 for the iPhone 12 & 13 so it's $29 for front glass, $29 for back glass or $58 for both as long as the camera and frame are not damaged which would then be $99. Also if you go 3rd party coverage and your glass gets replaced with non-apple parts, your trade in value will drop.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 28, 2021 06:33PM
There are some credit cards that provide insurance if you pay your bill with the card. I use Chase Freedom Flex. One thing to know is that they don't typically pay for lost phones. If you say one has been stolen I think they require a police report. Some also won't cover cosmetic damage. So, if you drop it and break the screen by can still use the phone you're out of luck.

Here's a list of some: [www.businessinsider.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2021 06:34PM by Michael.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020