advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
APPL performance - what if Steve was still CEO?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 26, 2021 05:06PM
In October 2011, Apple was trading around $15 (adjusted to current). Today it is close to $150, which is a 1000% increase.

Would Apple have performed as well if Steve had lived? There hasn't been the iPhone home run under Tim, but he has guided Apple into other revenue streams that may not have interested Jobs as much.

Do you think there would have been the next great thing if Steve was still around? What do you think would have been different?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: APPL performance - what if Steve was still CEO?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 26, 2021 05:29PM
Naw....some twenty something would have gotten butt hurt after an elevator ordeal and had him cancelled!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 26, 2021 06:06PM
I believe so. The combination of Jobs' vision and Cook's genius with logistics would make the company even more valuable than it is today.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 26, 2021 06:18PM
The iPhone would be 2 mm thick with no buttons/ports.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 26, 2021 07:15PM
After revolutionizing the home computer market, the laptop market, and the smartphone market, what's left? Toasters?
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 26, 2021 07:17PM
I prefer a world with Steve Jobs in it. I do think Tim handled the last 4 political years better than Steve would have.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 26, 2021 08:02PM
N-OS X-tasy!
I believe so. The combination of Jobs' vision and Cook's genius with logistics would make the company even more valuable than it is today.

This.. Don’t get me wrong, I think Tim Cook was the best man for the job in Jobs absence, and I think he has done a better job than almost any other CEO out there. However Steve Jobs would’ve ensured a few more ‘next great things’. It’s a shame we lost him, I’m sure we missed out on some truly revolutionary products.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 26, 2021 08:33PM
“ Do you think there would have been the next great thing if Steve was still around? ‘

Yes, Steve Jobs was driven in a ways that Timmy can’t even dream of.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: September 26, 2021 08:52PM
I miss Steve, and what he did, but frankly--there will likely never be as big of "One More Thing" as the iPhone. It was a revolution, everything else is evolution.
For Tim, the big thing is services and content, which is pretty big!
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 26, 2021 09:24PM
Steve would’ve kept Jony in line. Tim, I think, was at least a bit afraid to do that.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 26, 2021 10:13PM
"One More Thing" died with Steve. Apple now just polishes his great concepts to make them a tiny bit shinier. There has not been a single groundbreaking concept out of Apple since Steve died and there have been some piss poor decisions (putting Jony Ive in charge of software interfaces!?). For those kinds of things we have to look elsewhere (Elon Musk anyone?). Tim and Jony, though effective in some ways, were not worthy successors to The Leader.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 26, 2021 10:17PM
testcase
“ Do you think there would have been the next great thing if Steve was still around? ‘

Yes, Steve Jobs was driven in a ways that Timmy can’t even dream of.

I often wonder if we'd be seeing Apple dabble in fields like TV programming, healthcare and automobile design if Steve were still at the helm.

It is what it is.
Date: September 26, 2021 10:50PM
We're kinda overdoing it. The period from the mid 70's, when computing was introduced to the masses til OSX and Windows 3 (mid-late 90's) was the golden age of mass technological "innovation." The introduction and maturation of products that we never had before as a people.

I think the logical extension of "innovation" regarding computing device products evolved into refinement.

The iPod basically existed until Apple bought it. Apple didn't cook it up (bad pun). To me, the first iPod Touch with it's multi-touch plus the internet was the game-changer. That forever altered the experience of interacting with computers. The iPhone just took an iPod Touch and added a phone to it. There was existing competition for that.

Almost all of the "extra" things we enjoyed during keynotes were just more powerful and slick versions of we already had.

Now it's just a bunch of stuff that didn't have computers embedded inside that everybody is stuffing computers in.

Cars with computers
Watches with computers
Household devices with computers in it.

Apple is the best at all of this but what could Steve possibly come up with? He wasn't the only genius working on this stuff.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 27, 2021 03:57AM
AAPL would not be paying out dividends.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 27, 2021 07:40AM
They were paying out dividends while he was alive if I’m not mistaken.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 27, 2021 07:58AM
Acer
After revolutionizing the home computer market, the laptop market, and the smartphone market, what's left? Toasters?

TVs. I’m still PO’ed that Cook (or whoever) didn’t have the guts to move forward with this, although it might not have been as good without Jobs telling them what sucks.

But TV sucks. Not talking about the content; talking about the operation. Combinations of button pushes obscure to many people. Making things easier to use was Apple’s forte.

But there was no money in it - TVs have razor-thin margins. So do PCs, as did cell phones before the iPhone. Somehow that didn’t stop Apple from upending those markets and making billions.

Apple could have become a category to itself in the field.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 27, 2021 08:30AM
ztirffritz

Nope, Steve was against paying out dividends.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 27, 2021 09:51AM
Speedy
ztirffritz

Nope, Steve was against paying out dividends.

I had to check because I remember it being really close. It was just a few months from when Steve died to when the dividend was announced.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 27, 2021 01:02PM
Come on now. The AAPL watch was a revolutionary product.
Date: September 27, 2021 06:33PM
freeradical
Come on now. The AAPL watch was a revolutionary product.

If I bought stock in 1997, I'd buy everybody here what they wanted.
Date: September 27, 2021 07:01PM
Amen, I was thinking the same thing in 1997. Didn’t think I could lose. Even went as far as soliciting loans to finance such a purchase. Everyone told me to go pound sand. Of course, having only graduated from college a couple years before no assets to my name, in debt, and just starting my career in a tenuous aerospace industry, guess that wasn’t so surprising.
Date: September 27, 2021 08:12PM
Carnos Jax
Amen, I was thinking the same thing in 1997. Didn’t think I could lose. Even went as far as soliciting loans to finance such a purchase. Everyone told me to go pound sand. Of course, having only graduated from college a couple years before no assets to my name, in debt, and just starting my career in a tenuous aerospace industry, guess that wasn’t so surprising.

We didn't know that we wouldn't need all that much. $500 and letting it ride would have helped a lot. Just needed to keep letting it ride.
Date: September 27, 2021 10:17PM
Good point.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 28, 2021 11:23AM
vision63
Carnos Jax

We didn't know that we wouldn't need all that much. $500 and letting it ride would have helped a lot. Just needed to keep letting it ride.

I wanted to start an online trading account in the late 90's, but always kept putting it off. I just had a feeling with Steve back, the company would thrive. I kicked myself several times for not getting into the market with AAPL sooner. I finally did start an account with E*Trade in Dec of 2001 with some extra cash I was making from plenty of overtime from work.

I never touched it and tried to add more every time AAPL dipped. After 21 years of not selling, but adding whenever I could has rewarded me nicely.

I think Steve picked the right guy to run the company, and even though Steve was more dynamic and outspoken, I don't think Apple would have been as successful if Tim Apple wasn't running things now.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: September 28, 2021 02:14PM
Rick-o
vision63

…..We didn't know that we wouldn't need all that much. $500 and letting it ride would have helped a lot. Just needed to keep letting it ride.

…..I never touched it and tried to add more every time AAPL dipped. After 21 years of not selling, but adding whenever I could has rewarded me nicely.

And this is the key to investing in companies you believe in. Just let it ride. We never sold our Tesla stock since we bought it in 2016. People told us we were crazy not to. The couple of people we knew that had some Tesla, sold numerous times during the rise, only to buy it back again as it continued to go higher.

We finally learned our mistakes from not purchasing Apple, and bought the next company that came along we believed in, Tesla. We almost missed it, if it weren’t for all the FUD out there. Thankfully one of the lessons we learned was you’ve got to do your own homework.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020