advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Some like it Hot ? Upper/Lower stove opinions ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 27, 2021 10:01AM
The decision has been made to replace the 25 year old cbelt3 household GE Profile electric stove after the convection oven element failed. A sign that the remaining elements are not far behind.. and the main element will require massive disassembly to replace it. It has served us well, and parts are available and generally accessible. It's seen several major repairs.. the glass top was replaced after an accident, and the door hinges were replaced last year. And one of the element controls needs to be replaced.. I have the part but never did it.

Mrs. cbelt3 thinks the dual level stove designs are 'cool' and 'useful'. Considering I do all the cooking, I kind of agree...baking below, casseroles above, different temperatures, etc..

Anyone here use one of these designs ? Of course convection is required...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Some like it Hot ? Upper/Lower stove opinions ?
Posted by: raz
Date: September 27, 2021 10:21AM
Is either oven large enough for the Thanksgiving Turkey? That's what killed the concept for my wife.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: September 27, 2021 10:41AM
Ages ago I lived in a place that had a combo unit: Oven above (verified big enough for a Thanksgiving turkey, but only just), then cooktop, then a dishwasher underneath. I found having the oven at eye-level rather than at knee-level most convenient and given a choice strongly prefer it.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 27, 2021 10:50AM
My dad has one like I think you're talking about. It's a standard-size range but with a smaller oven in the upper space. I suppose it's good for frozen pizzas and anything else not tall.

raz your comment made me remember Thanksgiving 3 years ago. I did the bird on the rotisserie outside. Best turkey I've ever had, and it's crazy easy to cook that way. Time and temp considerations tend to go away when food spins in its own juices; it's not about the "outside" of the meat in case anyone's wondering.

Do they put induction stovetops in ranges now? I'd be interested in that if I couldn't use gas.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 27, 2021 10:53AM
We've done Thanksgiving at a home that has that. Was incredibly useful for that, with a ton of different things going in and out of the ovens.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 27, 2021 11:19AM
I found having my microwave above and freeing up counter space extremely useful. Then again, cooking is a tedious task and not a priority for me. I microwave very few meals but would never need to do anything that involved two ovens.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 27, 2021 12:37PM
The once per year (if that) turkey cook shouldn't influence your decision for the other 100 days per year you plan on using the oven. I'd certainly look into an induction cooktop if available.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 27, 2021 12:45PM
spatchcocking the turkey should allow it to fit.

I'd like to hear from people who have a split oven as well.

I agree that you should consider induction. You can pick up induction burners (like hot plates) for about $50 so you can try it out before committing to the whole appliance.

I hope your oven is well vented! (this is my personal pet peeve)

Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 27, 2021 04:04PM
cbelt3
The decision has been made to replace the 25 year old cbelt3 household GE Profile electric stove after the convection oven element failed. A sign that the remaining elements are not far behind.. and the main element will require massive disassembly to replace it. It has served us well, and parts are available and generally accessible. It's seen several major repairs.. the glass top was replaced after an accident, and the door hinges were replaced last year. And one of the element controls needs to be replaced.. I have the part but never did it.

Mrs. cbelt3 thinks the dual level stove designs are 'cool' and 'useful'. Considering I do all the cooking, I kind of agree...baking below, casseroles above, different temperatures, etc..

Anyone here use one of these designs ? Of course convection is required...

cbelt3,

My Mom had a double oven that worked well for 30 years with no repairs. She cooked plenty of turkeys for the 6 of us and our families. I had to repair a number of them when I had my appliance repair business. Except for the heating elements and a few other parts, you can double the cost of repairs compared to free-standing ovens. The control boards on todays appliances are outrageous, and are worse now with the chips shortage. I will say that the double oven units are usually in the upper price range and tend to have a better track record (lower rate of repairs/1000 units). Please try to get something made in North America.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 27, 2021 05:06PM
Cbelt,

My mom had a double-wall oven for nearly 45 years. It broke and when she renovated her kitchen, she switched to a Samsung slide-in range that has the Flex feature. She can split the interior of the oven into two ovens.

[www.samsung.com]

She hates it. The piece you need to use to split the oven is heavy and cumbersome. She despises the racks, which don't slide easily enough for her taste. Given the choice, she'd much rather have a range that doesn't have the slip feature. She'd absolutely positively would make sure the range has full-extension racks with ball bearings to make them super easy to pull in and out of the range.

I had these kind of racks in an Electrolux Wave-Touch range and they were the bomb.

The Samsung range she has works well otherwise. We have a Samsung freestanding slide-in range and it's overall very good. I just wish it had full extension ball-bearing racks. That'd be my only complaint with it.

Robert
Date: September 27, 2021 06:25PM
Back when GM was GM: Fridgidaire Flair Custom Imperial

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

How could you say no to something with Infinite Heat and Speed Heat?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 27, 2021 07:21PM
Switch to gas.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 28, 2021 08:07AM
Hang with the uber wealthy club, get Thermador or Wolf (Sub-Zero).
smiley-shocked003
Super expensive and not all US made either.

I know a few folks who use to rave about Fisher & Paykel but have since
abandoned the brand as it's now owned by Haier (China) and they say
quality has suffered. dunno smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: September 28, 2021 07:51PM
C(-)ris
Switch to gas.

My preference as well, but that product will eventually end for the same reason no one wants you to use a gas grill indoors.

(And if that idea seems bizarre, Weber once sold a charcoal grill designed to be used in a fireplace.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 610
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020