advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
LP and NG pressure questions
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 28, 2021 07:28PM
What is the Natural Gas pressure after the regulator? I mean the pressure in the gas line going to the stove, water heater, furnace, and outside grill.

What is the pressure in the Propane line after the regulator? I know it it is high pressure in the tank, that's what keep is liquid. But after the regulator?

What does it take to get a dual fuel generator, Champion Power Equipment 200914 4250-Watt Open Frame Inverter Generator, Dual Fuel Technology to run on Natural Gas?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: LP and NG pressure questions
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 28, 2021 07:42PM
about 1psi for nat gas

standard BBQ propane regulators are also about 1 psi. There are higher flow adjustable regulators that run up to about 10 psi. My step kid has one on his propane powered forge.

To convert a propane device over to nat gas the jets or orifii need to be drilled out or replaced.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2021 07:45PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Z
Date: September 28, 2021 07:51PM
LPG is not Natural Gas. It is a propane/butane blend.
Date: September 28, 2021 07:55PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2021 07:58PM by Z.
Date: September 28, 2021 07:55PM
Z

I am sorry if I implied that LPG is Natural gas. Did I?

I know it is not. Liquid Propane, once evaporated and converted into Gas propane, has nigher energy than Natural gas.

I was curios how the pressure compares.

and what happens if I hook up the NG line to the Propane port on that generator. Will it run at lower power? that would be OK with me.
Date: September 28, 2021 08:00PM
Not just lower power, lean. You could burn up the piston.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 28, 2021 08:00PM
space-time
and what happens if I hook up the NG line to the Propane port on that generator. Will it run at lower power? that would be OK with me.

Natural gas has about half the energy density of propane, so it might not run at all or easily stall if the generator got too loaded. This is why you need to change the jet or orifice first before switching. With the right jet or orifice the generator should run about as well on natural gas as propane.
Date: September 28, 2021 08:18PM
this unit has a fuel selector switch, one position for gasoline, and the opposite position for Propane or Natural Gas. It seems to take both LP or NG though the same hose, same switch position. Interesting how it can handle both LP and NG with the same settings. or maybe I missed something.

[www.costco.com]
Date: September 28, 2021 08:18PM
Racer X
Not just lower power, lean. You could burn up the piston.

tell me more.
Date: September 28, 2021 08:53PM
Incoming fuel, in any IC engine, among other things, cools piston tops.

In an extreme case, in nitrous boosted engines, it not only supplies extra oxygen, the incoming expanding nitrous cools the fuel charge.

Posted by: testcase
Date: September 29, 2021 01:32AM
NATURAL gas is VERY low pressure (~ 4 psi or less AFTER it leaves the meter or regulator; BEFORE the meter / regulator natural gas is at HIGH pressure) Natural gas is LIGHTER than air. A TRUE natural gas leak (as opposed to a mixture of natural gas + propane or LNG or LP) will usually dissipate harmlessly. PROPANE is HEAVIER than air and a propane leak will settle into LOW areas like basements or just hover at ground level waiting for a spark to ignite it. These are all perfectly safe AS LONG AS industry standards / procedures are carefully followed.
Date: September 29, 2021 03:31PM
space-time
Z

I am sorry if I implied that LPG is Natural gas. Did I?

You just were proposing an unit set up for LPG or gasoline - wanted to make sure you weren't confusing the two.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 30, 2021 07:11AM
space-time
What is the Natural Gas pressure after the regulator? I mean the pressure in the gas line going to the stove, water heater, furnace, and outside grill.

What is the pressure in the Propane line after the regulator? I know it it is high pressure in the tank, that's what keep is liquid. But after the regulator?

What does it take to get a dual fuel generator, Champion Power Equipment 200914 4250-Watt Open Frame Inverter Generator, Dual Fuel Technology to run on Natural Gas?

Costco offers a 7500W, tri-fuel Firman generator that is $700 on sale...seems to be on sale every few months...on natural gas that's 6900 Starting Watts / 5500 Running Watts.

That's the one I plan to get once my electrician adds a lockout panel to my outside electric panel...natural gas meter is right next to it...I'll have someone add a quick-disconnect for the natural gas line so I never have to store gasoline.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2021 07:13AM by Bill in NC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 128
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020