advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours?!....Post Office changes start this week: higher prices, the slowest service......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 29, 2021 09:36AM
......changes begin this week, on Friday.....prices will go up......and service severely slowed down....

Postal Service tweaks could extend some delivery times, will temporarily boost holiday first-class prices

....Folks dropping letters in the mail starting Friday may want to add a few extra days for transit if their missives are going cross-country.

Likewise, anyone sending packages and cards around the holiday season will want to have a smidge of extra cash on hand to pay the postage piper.

The U.S. Post Office is tweaking its delivery standards in changes set to take effect Friday. Local mail will still take two days, but mail traveling farther could take one or two days longer than the previous three-day guarantee, the USPS said last week.

The changes are negligible and might not be glaring, but their effects may be felt.

“Most first-class mail (61%) and periodicals (93%) will be unaffected by the new service standard changes,” the USPS said in its statement and accompanying fact sheet. “Standards for single-piece first-class mail traveling within a local area will continue to be two days.”

The overall goal is to increase reliability and reduce inefficiency, the USPS said, imbuing more than 70% of first-class mail volume with a delivery standard of three days.

“The Postal Service will increase time?in?transit standards by one or two days for certain mail that is traveling longer distances,” the USPS said. “By doing so, the Postal Service can entrust its ground network to deliver more first-class mail, which will lead to greater consistency, reliability, and efficiency that benefits its customers.”

Part of the changes stem from the increased reliability of ground shipping over air, USPS spokeswoman Kim Frum said.

“The Postal Service can entrust its ground network to deliver more First-Class Mail, which will lead to great consistency, reliability and efficiency that benefits its customers,” she told USA Today. “Whether it’s 300 miles or 3,000 miles, the current standard for (first-class packages) require 3-day service for any destination within the contiguous U.S. with a drive time greater than six hours. This is unattainable and forces us to rely on air transportation, yielding unreliable service. With this change, we will improve service reliability and predictability for customers while also driving efficiencies across the Postal Service network.”

In addition, in a temporary move that kicks in on Monday and ends the day after Christmas, prices will rise on all commercial and retail domestic packages, USA Today reported. International products won’t be affected by the change, which aims to help the USPS cope with higher holiday volume.

It’s all part of the Delivering for America Strategic Plan that Trump-appointed Postmaster General Louis DeJoy announced earlier this year to “improve service reliability and predictability for customers and enhance the efficiency of the Postal Service network, the USPS said when the plan was unveiled.

lets go back............to the start............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2021 10:07AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours?!....Post Office changes start this week: higher prices, the slowest service......
Posted by: JPK
Date: September 29, 2021 11:59AM
higher prices, slower service. Doesn't that sum up government efficiency in short?

JPK
Re: signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours?!....Post Office changes start this week: higher prices, the slowest service......
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 29, 2021 12:04PM
JPK
higher prices, slower service. Doesn't that sum up government efficiency in short?

JPK

Sums up people trying to destroy a previously excellent service, yes.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 29, 2021 12:20PM
Our mail service has deteriorated so drastically over the past six months, I don’t trust it at all.
I don’t mail hardly anything but I can’t always control other people sending things to me, and it has been a nightmare.
One week we didn’t get mail delivery for four days in a row. Not just us, no one in our 86 hone community. Sometimes they skip a day or deliver as late as 8pm. It is a personnel shortage, in our case, and I feel sorry for the the people who work there. It isn’t their fault they are understaffed and they won’t let them hire more help, even if they could find people to work there. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2021 12:21PM by rgG.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 29, 2021 12:45PM
Our mail service continues to be pretty good. I wonder why the discrepancies across the nation.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 29, 2021 12:49PM
p8712
JPK

JPK

This.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 29, 2021 12:55PM
Raise the rates on First Class mail already and keep the service. There's room to increase it. Fed Ex won't touch your letter for less than $9, even just to take it across the street.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2021 12:55PM by Acer.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 29, 2021 01:06PM
Why not offer a second class service that takes longer?
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 29, 2021 02:40PM
p8712
JPK
JPK

Yet that doesn't explain regions performing normally versus the worst
regions which the USPS-IG is auditing.
Inspector General Audit 9/20/2021 (PDF)

USPS Inspector General Investigation Targets Baltimore Mail Delays,
as Probe Expands Nationally

reported 7/13/2021: [www.marylandmatters.org]

Ruppersberger: New USPS Leadership in Baltimore “Welcome News”
[ruppersberger.house.gov]

a previously excellent service
You are entitled to your opinion. I never found it to be "excellent" in any form.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2021 02:43PM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 29, 2021 02:59PM
My service has routinely been top notch. Mail between where I live now (Little Rock) and my old hometown (New Orleans) used to take a day or two. Nowadays it's more like 6 to 10 days or longer, and in either direction. And this is before the "slow down" measures.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 29, 2021 04:03PM
S. Pupp
Why not offer a second class service that takes longer?

They do... it's called "First Class Mail".
If you actually want something delivered, send it Priority Mail.
If I send a letter (locally) on a Thursday afternoon, it will go to San Francisco for sorting (300 miles), then get trucked to Medford Oregon (200 miles the other direction), before finally making it's way back here on the following Wednesday and being delivered on Thursday - a week after it was sent... for a trip of 5 miles.
I think they've stopped doing the Medford leg, and cut a couple days off, but, it's been well known here "don't send local mail on Thursday or Friday if you want it delivered soon... it's faster just to wait until Saturday to mail it, then it gets delivered on Monday. "

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 29, 2021 05:33PM
Our USPS mail service has continually eroded during COVID for daily deliveries. It's not terrible, but some days have been missed for sure.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 29, 2021 06:11PM
This right here really pisses me off.

They're also moving drop off boxes to where you can't drive by and drop stuff into them anymore in our area. I think I know why this is being done now but don't want this to get shoved to the other side. I asked about this at our closest PO as we're in there about 3 days a weeks and they claim where they used to be they were broken into twice and now they're in sight of the camera. I asked if they really thought that would stop the thieves. Problem is everyone has to get out of their vehicle now to do anything at the PO. This is a small town and many elderly and disabled depend on those drop boxes. I was thinking about filing something with the ADA but my wife depends on the PO and I know what would happen if I done that. The handicap parking places are not up to ADA standards, no wider than regular spots. A friend of mine is a Local Chairman of the Postal union so I may contact him.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020