advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
For how long would you drive on this tire?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 01, 2021 10:46AM
[www.dropbox.com]

[www.dropbox.com]

Hoping to make it on a 90 mile trip this afternoon, mostly highway, high temp in the low 70s. FWD Nissan Leaf, damaged tire is in the driver rear. No spare tire. sad smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: For how long would you drive on this tire?
Posted by: clay
Date: October 01, 2021 10:52AM
call a tire shop, see if you can get a quick replacement or patch job. Or, take the back roads and go slow in case you have a blowout.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 01, 2021 10:58AM
Of it holds air and you refrain from using the sidewall against the pavement you’ll be just fine.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 01, 2021 11:03AM
....until one is tired.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 01, 2021 11:13AM
If that's cord showing through, either put on the spare or drive directly to a tire shop and have it replaced.

On closer inspection, a bulge appears to already be forming in the sidewall of the tire a hair to the left of and below the chunk missing, so cord showing or not replace it now. A bulge like that on a sidewall indicates internal separation and is an imminent blowout that may happen at any moment.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 01, 2021 11:24AM
I think I see a bulge too. In that case I'd drive it at 15 mph to the tire shop, or if I couldn't do that I'd change to the spare and drive to the tire shop.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 01, 2021 11:31AM
“ No spare tire “
Posted by: davester
Date: October 01, 2021 11:38AM
btfc
“ No spare tire “

Oops. Didn't notice that. In that case, remove the wheel and get a ride to the tire shop.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: October 01, 2021 11:42AM
btfc
“ No spare tire “

davester
Oops. Didn't notice that. In that case, remove the wheel and get a ride to the tire shop.

Do what Davester said, then...

Send the pictures of the damaged tire to the vehicle's manufacturer along with a note explaining that the photos are an example of why they need to include spare tires on all their vehicles. Tell them in no uncertain terms that not only will you not buy another one of their vehicles until they DO go back to including a spare tire as standard equipment, but you'll also tell anyone who will listen the story of your damaged tire and how the $__,000. car it came on didn't come with a spare tire.

This "no spare tire" crap has got to stop.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2021 11:45AM by Thrift Store Scott.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 01, 2021 11:59AM
I wouldn't drive with a child in the car, but if you're driving to a shop to replace the tire...take it slow.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 01, 2021 12:05PM
ztirffritz
I wouldn't drive with a child in the car, but if you're driving to a shop to replace the tire...take it slow.

This.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: October 01, 2021 12:15PM
sidewalls on tires cannot be patched. Only treds can be patched.
Date: October 01, 2021 12:25PM
OK I hear you guys. There is no bulge, no spare as noted. Nissan included a patch kit but that obviously won't work here. I just called a place that has a like-new spare I can get out the door for $65.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 01, 2021 12:42PM
I’d do what I needed to, taking it easy and keeping an eye on it while working on a replacement.

Posted by: testcase
Date: October 01, 2021 12:42PM
I do NOT believe SIDEWALL damage can be repaired. Time for a replacement tire. I would agree with ztirffritz AS LONG AS the drive to a tire shop is a SHORT drive. More than that, I'd call for road service (AAA, tire shop or similar). Should the tire fail while you're driving TO the tire shop, be prepared for the vehicle to pull to the side that has the failed tire. DO NOT BRAKE ABRUPTLY (a natural response you need to fight). Keep steering the the vehicle and, once you have control, carefully pull off the road. The instant a tire "blows" you might actually need to "goose" the gas pedal BRIEFLY to ensure that YOU are in control (you may need to overcome the vehicle's tendency to veer). Once said control has been established, ease off the gas allowing the vehicle to slow down while you find a safe place to pull over.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 01, 2021 01:13PM
....I drove all night, to get to you.....is that alright......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 01, 2021 01:35PM
Test,

You are correct. Every tire ship, 3rd party mechanic and dealer I've ever used says you can't fix a tire whose sidewall is damaged. I've also learned from multiple experience a tire ship, 3rd party mechanic and dealer will not repair a tire which has a puncture in the tread that is too close to the sidewall.

Based on the picture, Mike's tire needs replacement. Not a fix. Replacement. I wouldn't drive a vehicle whose tire has that kind of damage any distance. Not even to a shop. That's me. I'd put on the spare and have the tire replaced ASAP. If it's a donut spare, only use the car to go to the shop and nowhere else.

Robert
Date: October 01, 2021 01:44PM
I probably shouldn't say how much the car was being driven this week, smiley-shocked003 but we can all rest easy now.

At first the mechanic said if it were him just driving around town that it would be fine for a while, but of course that was not his professional advice. Given that I knew I would be going on the highway we both agreed it was safest to remove it, and once we got it off the rim he was surprised at how thin the sidewall was in that spot. One hard bump could have easily popped it. We were both glad to put on the replacement.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 01, 2021 01:50PM
Whew! Glad to hear it all turned out well in the end. I suspect the mechanics surprise about the thin sidewall is a consequence of the LRR tire design that intentionally fuel-efficient cars get nowadays. Anyone know if that's the actual case?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 01, 2021 01:52PM
Yeah, they do not do sidewall repairs on passenger or light truck tires. Too close to the edge of the tread is also not done since the damage will be at the edge of the belts.

I don't know if they still do section repairs on large truck tires, but they did when I drove buses years ago. I also worked as a mechanics helper then which included changing tires. Some were new, they almost always went on the front axles, the rest were retreads and repairs. Those included sidewall repairs, most would run through their entire tread without failing.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 01, 2021 01:59PM
Now go thoroughly check the other tires!

....and quit hitting curbs and potholes!

....and have a nice trip.
==
Date: October 01, 2021 02:18PM
Buzz
Now go thoroughly check the other tires!

....and quit hitting curbs and potholes!

....and have a nice trip.
==

Already checked, and no it's not me. smiling smiley
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 01, 2021 04:00PM
mikebw
I probably shouldn't say how much the car was being driven this week, smiley-shocked003 but we can all rest easy now.

At first the mechanic said if it were him just driving around town that it would be fine for a while, but of course that was not his professional advice. Given that I knew I would be going on the highway we both agreed it was safest to remove it, and once we got it off the rim he was surprised at how thin the sidewall was in that spot. One hard bump could have easily popped it. We were both glad to put on the replacement.

You would certainly not be the only one on the road driving with "failing equipment." As long as you're not piloting a 32-ton truck (or any truck) I think you would have been fine to just putter about (no 80mph driving).
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 01, 2021 11:58PM
" I'd put on the spare and have the tire replaced ASAP"

My 2018 Prius does NOT have a spare tire (it came with a can of "flat fix"). I know that there are more than a few new cars that NO LONGER come with spare tires.
Date: October 02, 2021 12:53AM
testcase
" I'd put on the spare and have the tire replaced ASAP"

My 2018 Prius does NOT have a spare tire (it came with a can of "flat fix"). I know that there are more than a few new cars that NO LONGER come with spare tires.

And MikeBW's tire damage is a great example of why they should. Even if your car didn't come with a spare, there's no reason why you can't carry at least a space-saver spare yourself. Your Prius may be the exception, but I've personally yet to see a car without a spare that didn't still have a hole for the spare to go in, usually only partially filled with other junk.

Edited to add: Speaking of tires, it is now Fall and the combination of warm days and cool nights WILL cause the pressure in your car's tires to drop, so don't forget to check the air pressure in your tires this week, all five of them if you happen to own a car with a spare.

I worked selling, installing, and servicing tires for many years, and without fail every fall there would be a spate of people coming in to the shop saying "I went out to my car this morning and all four tires were low! I must have nails in all four tires! Check 'em all for nails". For a while I tried asking them when the last time they'd checked their tires' air pressure was and got many disheartening answers, but the one that made me give up asking entirely was when a lady replied "Weren't YOU supposed to have checked the air in my tires when you installed them last spring?!?".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2021 04:51AM by Thrift Store Scott.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 02, 2021 06:09AM
Glad you got it resolved. I’ve driven on way worse tires for much longer….. I will say that you have good visual inspection skills. I do a “walk around” of all vehicles before I drive off. Start it up, walk around and check tires and look for fluid leaks.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 02, 2021 03:58PM
The sidewall does a lot of work when starting, stopping, and just rolling down the road.

Conventional wisdom is correct- there's no repairing sidewall damage.

While I don't mind riding a bike with a plugged tire, that car tire damage would get me to a tire shop ASAP.

And the actual examination of mike's tire shows that he was practically ride on a grenade or IED of sorts.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020