AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Brutal it Up
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 01, 2021 01:41PM
I meant to post this a bit back....
Elvis Costello defends Olivia Rodrigo over Brutal plagiarism claim
[www.bbc.com]
Elvis Costello has defended pop star Olivia Rodrigo after she was accused of lifting one of his guitar riffs.
Brutal, a track on Rodrigo's number one album, is based around a punky chord sequence that also featured in Costello's 1978 hit Pump It Up.
But when a Twitter user said Rodrigo's song was "pretty much a direct lift", Costello replied: "This is fine by me.
"It's how rock & roll works," he wrote. "You take the broken pieces of another thrill and make a brand new toy."
He added: "That's what I did."
The veteran singer-songwriter also included hashtags referencing Bob Dylan's 1965 classic Subterranean Homesick Blues, which inspired Pump It Up; and Chuck Berry's 1956 single Too Much Monkey Business, which influenced the Dylan song.
You can compare the Costello and Rodrigo tracks below. The guitar riff first appears 14 seconds into Brutal, and at 15 seconds in Pump It Up:

[www.youtube.com]
[youtu.be]
Costello later posted a Mashup of the songs to his youtube channel.
[youtu.be]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Brutal it Up
Posted by: kj
Date: October 01, 2021 02:01PM
Costello is a genius. What an honest response.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 01, 2021 02:59PM
That's the same attitude that Tom Petty had. He was asked directly if he ever started writing a song and later realized that someone else had already written it... many times he says. When that happens, you just have to stop and give up on the project. Once you hear that it's a different song, you can't unhear it.

He said it's a natural accident for songwriters. He refused to prosecute a few cases where his music was plagiarized when the offender apologized and claimed it was accidental.

He also said something like that's the way music works.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: October 01, 2021 03:04PM
Elvis Costello was on Jimmy Kimmel last night - great interview. Charlize Theron was also on - mentioning she bumped into Elvis while at Disney's Tower of Terror recently. Elvis played the Spanish version of Pump It Up. All three video's are on Kimmel's YouTube page if you missed it.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 02, 2021 10:52AM
Forrest
Elvis Costello was on Jimmy Kimmel last night - great interview. Charlize Theron was also on - mentioning she bumped into Elvis while at Disney's Tower of Terror recently. Elvis played the Spanish version of Pump It Up. All three video's are on Kimmel's YouTube page if you missed it.

Thanks! Watched last night!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 02, 2021 11:05AM
......so Elvis is in 'da house......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020