advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, WhatsApp All Down!
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 04, 2021 11:40AM
It is surely the End Times!

PSA: Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, and WhatsApp are currently down

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, WhatsApp All Down!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 04, 2021 11:42AM
Trying to decide if that's actually a bad thing or not...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: October 04, 2021 11:56AM
Paul F.

so am i.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 04, 2021 11:56AM
Oct 4 (Reuters) - Facebook Inc's (FB.O) suite of apps, including popular photo-sharing platform Instagram and messaging app WhatsApp, were down for tens of thousands of users, according to outage tracking website Downdetector.com.

Reuters could not immediately confirm the issue affecting the services. However, the error message on Facebook's webpage suggested a Domain Name System (DNS) error.

DNS allows web addresses to take users to their destinations. A similar outage at cloud company Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM.O) took down multiple websites in July. read more

Downdetector, which only tracks outages by collating status reports from a series of sources, including user-submitted errors on its platform, showed there were more than 50,000 incidents of people reporting issues with Facebook and Instagram. The outage might be affecting a larger number of users.

Meanwhile, the social-media giant's instant messaging platform WhatsApp was also down for over 22,000 users, while Messenger was down for nearly 3,000 users.

WhatsApp was also trending on Twitter Inc (TWTR.N), with more than 850,000 tweets.

"We're aware that some people are experiencing issues with WhatsApp at the moment," the messaging platform's official Twitter handle said. "We're working to get things back to normal and will send an update here as soon as possible."
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 04, 2021 12:02PM
I'm pretty sure that WhatsApp has more than 22k users. damn you smiley

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 04, 2021 12:13PM
Life would improve if they all stayed down.
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 04, 2021 12:16PM
Is this like the Apple Online Store, and when they come back up we'll get to see all of the "New Algorithms".
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 04, 2021 12:27PM
Facebook is definitely down for me. I wish it would go down and stay down, should've never gotten on the damn thing.

Grateful11
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 04, 2021 12:49PM
...and the world is better for it.

It is what it is.
Date: October 04, 2021 12:49PM
Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, WhatsApp All Down!

That means this is the last refuge.

Aren't you glad pRICE cUBE posted about stocking up just this morning? Did he know something?===> [forums.macresource.com]

(maybe we can finally get some more people to join here?)
Posted by: ArtP
Date: October 04, 2021 12:58PM
Since i couldn't get on Facebook - I came here - lol
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 04, 2021 01:03PM
.....in.....your.....face.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: JoeM
Date: October 04, 2021 01:10PM
And I’m not missing it.

JoeM
Date: October 04, 2021 01:12PM
....I ain't missing you at all.....since you been gone.....away......

Date: October 04, 2021 01:35PM
Almost forgot.

Posted by: rgG
Date: October 04, 2021 01:36PM
I like Instagram but I don’t need to check it every five minutes, so no biggie.
FB can stay down.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 04, 2021 01:41PM
Oh., no. What should I have for lunch today?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 04, 2021 02:16PM
Betcha we're going to see a short, steep, worldwide peak in productivity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2021 02:16PM by lost in space.
Date: October 04, 2021 02:17PM
.....and baby....boom....??

Posted by: hal
Date: October 04, 2021 02:40PM
I really don't care if these things disappeared forever, but I'm a little shaken by the fact that something SO BIG is broken for more than 10 minutes. I would freak out if the worldwide internet went down for this long.
Date: October 04, 2021 02:46PM
hal
I really don't care if these things disappeared forever, but I'm a little shaken by the fact that something SO BIG is broken for more than 10 minutes. I would freak out if the worldwide internet went down for this long.

it is getting worrisome. it's been almost 6 hours now. Ransomware attack?

Posted by: hal
Date: October 04, 2021 02:48PM
the betting world is getting in on it...

Date: October 04, 2021 02:57PM
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 04, 2021 03:13PM
Twitter is still limping along.

John Iadarola
@johniadarola
Here's a list of all of the negative effects of Facebook being down:
12:21 PM · Oct 4, 2021·Twitter Web App
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 04, 2021 03:34PM
Is Facebook down right now?
It's not just you! facebook.com is down.

Posted by: decay
Date: October 04, 2021 03:48PM
Could it be BGP and DNS related?

[www.fortinet.com]

[www.cloudflare.com]

---
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 04, 2021 04:32PM
This is why FB should have to relinquish ownership of Instagram and WhatsApp and whatever other ideas they bought out. It's too much for one company to own, for lots of reasons.

There are many countries where WhatsApp is the go-to means of communication and their residents are not chortling right now.

This is a good reminder to download all the photos that reside on FB. My cousin had her account deleted due to it being hacked and she has lost access to her recently deceased son's account, as well, and has been arguing with them for weeks which is hard to do with absolutely no phone numbers available. So it's not all fun and games to contemplate the permanent loss of Facebook.

Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 04, 2021 05:53PM
If only twitter would go down too, now that would make the world a MUCH better place.

Remember, saying whatever is on your mind every 15 minutes (or less) isn't necessarily a good thing.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: October 04, 2021 06:03PM
Update October 4th, 6:08PM ET: Facebook.com is back online.
Posted by: Janit
Date: October 04, 2021 06:04PM
Steve G.
Update October 4th, 6:08PM ET: Facebook.com is back online.

Some search functions are not working for me yet.
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 04, 2021 06:10PM
PeterB
If only twitter would go down too, now that would make the world a MUCH better place.

Remember, saying whatever is on your mind every 15 minutes (or less) isn't necessarily a good thing.
l

But, if Twitter goes down I don’t get my cute animal videos. smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: October 04, 2021 07:29PM
PeterB

May I remind you all that the times this or the previous forum disappeared, it was always followed by enormous threads where everyone shared the experience of not being able to get here.

I have a lot of people on Facebook that I only see on Facebook: cousins who live far away, former coworkers, art aficionados, people who enjoy certain podcasts, and dear friends who moved overseas, and so forth. I know that we could all migrate somewhere else and try to make a go of it, but as it is we are on Facebook and it works for us and we enjoy it and it's really stingy and mean to wish for us all to lose each other so that you can feel superior.

In fact, remembering the HUGE WAILS that came from here when the old forum shut down for good, I think I'm seeing a LOT of hypocrisy on this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2021 07:33PM by $tevie.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 04, 2021 07:52PM
Paul F.

Definitely NOT a bad thing. If they would have taken down TikTok it might have been a great day!

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2021 07:52PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 04, 2021 08:09PM
rgG
PeterB

l

But, if Twitter goes down I don’t get my cute animal videos. smiling smiley

There's always YouTube. [www.youtube.com]

$tevie
PeterB

May I remind you all that the times this or the previous forum disappeared, it was always followed by enormous threads where everyone shared the experience of not being able to get here.

I have a lot of people on Facebook that I only see on Facebook: cousins who live far away, former coworkers, art aficionados, people who enjoy certain podcasts, and dear friends who moved overseas, and so forth. I know that we could all migrate somewhere else and try to make a go of it, but as it is we are on Facebook and it works for us and we enjoy it and it's really stingy and mean to wish for us all to lose each other so that you can feel superior.

In fact, remembering the HUGE WAILS that came from here when the old forum shut down for good, I think I'm seeing a LOT of hypocrisy on this thread.

No hypocrisy on my part, because comparing twitter to this place is like comparing chess to tic-tac-toe. This place generally requires thought to post something.

Facebook has its uses too, I don't deny that. But the folks who need to broadcast their opinions to everyone, every minute, well... maybe it'd do some good that we all have a moment or two of silence.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 04, 2021 09:46PM
I’d have to agree, there’s no comparison. The criticisms applied to Facebook are not at all appropriate here. Furthermore, I use Facebook a lot as well, I didn’t take any of the criticisms in this thread as an offense to Facebook. The concerns brought up are valid ones, and have nothing to do with maintaining close relationships with family and friends (you could still have that on Facebook without any of the negatives that Facebook implements).
Date: October 04, 2021 10:46PM
$tevie
PeterB

The powers that be at dealmac never once attempted to deliberately propagate misinformation or foment unrest the way that Facebook has, $tevie. I understand what you’re saying, but Facebook’s sins more than outweigh its benefits. Until that changes — until Facebook reforms its heinous, corrosive business practices — it should be shut down.

It is what it is.
Date: October 05, 2021 12:17AM
Carnos Jax
The concerns brought up are valid ones, and have nothing to do with maintaining close relationships with family and friends (you could still have that on Facebook without any of the negatives that Facebook implements).
Of course I could, but as it stands right now I can't, so I'm staying there. My reaction is not to the criticism of FB -- obviously it sucks big time -- but to the people who are all like "Yay, I hope it's gone forever". My point was, everyone was so sad when DealMac was gone forever (not me, I might add) so you'd think you'd be more understanding about why everyone doesn't think FB disappearing would be a party.

And btw, my comment about WhatsApp went ignored when in fact it was a serious fact.

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 05, 2021 12:38AM
$tevie
My reaction is not to the criticism of FB -- obviously it sucks big time -- but to the people who are all like "Yay, I hope it's gone forever".

I understand. Just keep in mind though the "gone forever" sentiment has more to do with the fact on how bad FB behaves....don't think people would want it gone if it were a better player.

$tevie
My point was, everyone was so sad when DealMac was gone forever (not me, I might add) so you'd think you'd be more understanding about why everyone doesn't think FB disappearing would be a party.

Again, the problem is that most don't see the two as the same.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 05, 2021 05:42AM
Sorry for your (self-imposed) dilemma $ but between WhatsApp, FB Messenger and Instagram, @Facebook controls 70% of the messenger market. That’s a monopoly. Which means that when one company is down for the day, millions of people lose the communication platforms they rely on to stay safe and connected. Allowing monopolies because they serve an immediate need (a need created by whom?) is still allowing for monopoly.

This place is a small (and much appreciated) addendum to an otherwise self-sustaining business while Facebook is an all out advertising medium - no comparison in size or structure need be applied.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2021 06:10AM by RgrF.
Date: October 05, 2021 01:18PM
She's right about WhatsApp and the other stuff too because she understands all the dilemmas. She was just talking about one aspect of how "we" behaved.

There are are tons of easy alternatives for "messaging," such as Google Chat, SMS and many others. People can email one another and even talk to each other on the phone. They can write letters. This is how Facebook defends itself. The fact that they have competitors (that they absolutely whup).

If Apple opened up "Messages" to Android, that would change the game.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 05, 2021 02:52PM
vision63

FaceTime too. But they will not do that for fear of losing iPhone sales.
Date: October 05, 2021 03:02PM
vision63

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I received IMs via Messages from non-iOS folks all the time.

It is what it is.
Date: October 05, 2021 04:23PM
freeradical

FaceTime too. But they will not do that for fear of losing iPhone sales.

OS 15 opens up to Facetime with a web browser though i'm not sure it's activated yet. it's a start.

Date: October 05, 2021 04:24PM
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I received IMs via Messages from non-iOS folks all the time.

same here. only thing i noticed is not getting "Read" or "Delivered" notifications like with iPhone users.

Date: October 06, 2021 11:27AM
graylocks
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63

same here. only thing i noticed is not getting "Read" or "Delivered" notifications like with iPhone users.

It's limited to SMS texts and MMS images. Apple Messages is just handling that standard protocol. If I'm on an iPhone and I send your iPhone a picture, you'll receive the full intact image. If I send the image from an Android phone it will be shrunk down.
Date: October 06, 2021 11:36AM
vision63
graylocks
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63

It's limited to SMS texts and MMS images. Apple Messages is just handling that standard protocol. If I'm on an iPhone and I send your iPhone a picture, you'll receive the full intact image. If I send the image from an Android phone it will be shrunk down.

Well... that explains the video I received from my nephew yesterday. Didn't know this - thanks for the clarification.

It is what it is.
Date: October 07, 2021 12:07AM
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63
graylocks
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63

Well... that explains the video I received from my nephew yesterday. Didn't know this - thanks for the clarification.

It's good to have WhatsApp on standby for large files. Also, you can use WhatsApp for phone calls on wifi.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020