advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Thread on Door Locks: Brands, Price Range, and Keys
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 05, 2021 06:21AM
I'd like to replace the door locks. I know a real burglar can always find a way in, heck I won the lock picking contest at work, LOL. Mostly to keep honest people out, if someone wanted to break in, they will.

Brands: Home Depo carries Schlage, Kwickset and Defiant.

Price Points: anyway from low $20 to $50 for a basic door lock, and up to $140 for a front door model with those large handles.

keys: I noticed that Schlage has a code on the box and it says to match the code if you want the same key. I picked 2 identical packages, one for the back door and one of the garage and they have the same code, nice, but I looked in the bin and the remaining boxes had the same code. So someone can purchase the next package and they have the same key like mine? WOW.

So I need to decide if I want to install these Schlage or look for a better brand, probably shop online. My friend spend a few hundred on better locks, really I don't think that is necessary in this area. My other friend goes away for weeks at a time and does not bother to lock the back door. It's a safe area.

So what do you say? which brands do you recommend? what price points do you recommend?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Thread on Door Locks: Brands, Price Range, and Keys
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: October 05, 2021 06:49AM
Kwickset has what is called the SmartKey system, which is bump proof, and you simply put the tool that’s provided inside the lock and you can “re-key“ the lock yourself. This is a great feature, because you could even “Re-key“ it temporary early if someone was needing access to your house. This illuminates the need to get the specific code for the different locks, but that is available. If you get two different codes, then you have two sets of different keys which allows you to change the lock at a later time.
If you’re redoing your locks, you might even consider some of the ones that offer digital convenience, like being able to open it with a code or with your phone.
For security, one thing to do is to use very long screws on the striker plate that the deadbolt goes into. If someone kicks in the door, generally speaking that’s the part that tears out. You can put in screws that are probably up to 6 inches. It’s only the screws for the striker plate of the deadbolt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2021 06:50AM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 05, 2021 06:57AM
Space,

Many people are switching to "Smart "Locks and locks that have a touch pad. We have a Yale model with a touch pad. However, a key feature of the Yale is that it has the touchpad (which is battery operated) _and_ an actual key. I would never purchase a lock that is touchpad only. You want that key so you can manually unlock the lock in the event something happens to the batteries in the lock and it becomes inoperable electronically.

I like the touchpad because we have multiple codes for the lock. If we need to give temporary access to our apartment, we give that person(s) a code and change it or remove the code entirely when access is no longer necessary. Very handy for a slew of reasons.

Robert
Date: October 05, 2021 07:48AM
OK thanks. I was not going to consider a smart lock since I could leave the key under the flower pot or similar, as I said, it's a safe area, but I may reconsider now if both of you suggest smart locks.

thanks
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 05, 2021 07:57AM
I would look at a SMART Lock, but I wouldn't consider a smart lock having a physical key mandatory unless you are either putting them on every door or you only have one door into your residence. If it happens to fail, just go in the other door to the house and unlock it from the inside.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: October 05, 2021 09:13AM
C(-)ris
I would look at a SMART Lock, but I wouldn't consider a smart lock having a physical key mandatory unless you are either putting them on every door or you only have one door into your residence. If it happens to fail, just go in the other door to the house and unlock it from the inside.
That is exactly what I wanted, so I got the KwikSet Kevo, and I can Re-key it being a SmartKey lock set.
Lots of choices here. I got the Bluetooth, deadbolt only, so that I didn’t have to change the door handle.
[smile.amazon.com]

Rather than the "not so safe" key under the rock, get this changeable combination style lockbox and hang it from a faucet near the front door.
[smile.amazon.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 05, 2021 11:03AM
If security isnt a big deal, then go for looks? =)

Thankfully we now live in a place where door locking is pretty much optional, I doubt we have locked out back slider in months and have left to run some quick errands and left the front door open.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 05, 2021 12:34PM
Schlage is fine. Just have them re-key at the hardware store. Takes less than 10m per lock if they have someone even half-competent on staff.

...An hour per lock if you buy from Home Depot.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 05, 2021 12:57PM
I would talk to Ace Hardware since they kind of specialize in keys.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 05, 2021 01:12PM
Look at the rest of your house, can it be secured? My place backs up to a large wooded area and the back cannot be seen from the road or any neighbors - a thief simply needs to go around back and pop open the French Doors (not very hard), if there is a sliding glass door, then why even bother..

A million dollar lock on the front wont stop a hammer to a window in the back.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: October 05, 2021 02:07PM
Dennis,

Ace hardware specializing in keys? You're joking, right? At best, the staff are key cutters. If you want a place that specializes in locks and keys, you need to go to a reputable locksmith, not a hardware store.

Robert
Date: October 05, 2021 02:18PM
Robert M
Dennis,

Ace hardware specializing in keys? You're joking, right? At best, the staff are key cutters. If you want a place that specializes in locks and keys, you need to go to a reputable locksmith, not a hardware store.

Robert

Depends on your Ace and it is going to vary GREATLY based on staff.

C(-)ris
Date: October 05, 2021 02:48PM
C(-)ris,

Gotta disagree. I've yet to find any hardware store that can match a good locksmith for keys and locks. Doesn't matter what hardware store be it a chain or a mom and pop shop. Between my own and the experiences of friends and family, I'll only go to a locksmith for them.

Robert
Date: October 05, 2021 03:14PM
Robert M
C(-)ris,

Gotta disagree. I've yet to find any hardware store that can match a good locksmith for keys and locks. Doesn't matter what hardware store be it a chain or a mom and pop shop. Between my own and the experiences of friends and family, I'll only go to a locksmith for them.

Robert

It is 4 or 5 pins in a lock core. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make changes on a lock core. You can probably do it yourself after watching a Youtube video and ordering a $10 kit on amazon. Locksmiths are for when you are really stuck, have a safe, secure lock, etc.

C(-)ris
Date: October 05, 2021 03:46PM
C(-)ris,

Nope. Experience has taught me you're wrong and that DYIing it or leaving it to an amateur is a mistake. Nothing you can say is going to change my assessment of this. I'll gladly agree to disagree with you and do it wholeheartedly.

Robert
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 05, 2021 05:55PM
Ken Sp.
Kwickset has what is called the SmartKey system, which is bump proof, and you simply put the tool that’s provided inside the lock and you can “re-key“ the lock yourself. This is a great feature, because you could even “Re-key“ it temporary early if someone was needing access to your house. This illuminates the need to get the specific code for the different locks, but that is available. If you get two different codes, then you have two sets of different keys which allows you to change the lock at a later time.
If you’re redoing your locks, you might even consider some of the ones that offer digital convenience, like being able to open it with a code or with your phone.
For security, one thing to do is to use very long screws on the striker plate that the deadbolt goes into. If someone kicks in the door, generally speaking that’s the part that tears out. You can put in screws that are probably up to 6 inches. It’s only the screws for the striker plate of the deadbolt.

I used the above at the home of a late relative before listing it to replace a deadbolt that had failed...could lock with a key from the outside, but the inside release wouldn't work...easy to rekey the new deadbolt to the old key.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2021 05:56PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 05, 2021 06:23PM
Robert M
Experience has taught me you're wrong and that DYIing it or leaving it to an amateur is a mistake.

I've re-keyed dozens of Schlage and Kwikset locks myself using simple kits from Amazon. I don't even hesitate. Usually it's just a phillips screw to get the core out and then you swap the pins out. Of course, it helps if the key you're re-keying to has the pin code on it (i.e. it's an "original" key and not a copy). I haven't tried to re-key a lock without knowing the code (i.e. knowing the size of the pins you need to put back in the core, which should only take a mild amount of trial and error).

Now I just need to work on my lock-picking skills so I can re-key the smart locks we lost the keys too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2021 06:25PM by Gareth.
Date: October 05, 2021 07:12PM
Thanks all for your comments.

yes house is secure, and security is not a huge concern here.

Yes, no one asked, but I do watch the Lock Picking Laywer on Youtube (great channel BTW)

[www.youtube.com]

I'll think about a Smart Lock, I like the idea of giving a code to a friend. In fact I had to do that, but I told him the garage code.
Posted by: Cary
Date: October 05, 2021 08:20PM
I would.look for a grade 1 or 2 lockset, whether smart or not. They are much better quality (materials and construction) than grade 3.

Most manufacturers have different grade/quality lockseys.

As to rekeying, I'm with Chris and Gareth. It's just not that hard.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 05, 2021 09:32PM
the Lock Picking Laywer...

One day I'll give that a look-see.

But the sycophants drive me crazy.

Every time some vendor announces a new lock, the idiot sycos line up with there 'wait'll the lock picking' lawyer gets ahold of this...'

Geeze.

Seeing a bin or rack full of lock sets that might be keyed alike would give me pause.

I have rekeyed a couple of simple, mass market lock sets via kits, and it was easy enough, but for a reasonable price, I'd let a locksmith do it.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020