advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Yellowstone visitor burned while trying to rescue her dog from a hot spring
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 07, 2021 09:52AM
Somebody (the daughter) wasn’t thinking and somebody (her father) was. He managed to pull her out eight seconds after she went in. She is in critical condition with second and third degree burns over 90% of her body.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

A woman trying to rescue her dog from a thermal hot spring at Yellowstone National Park “suffered significant thermal burns from her shoulders to feet” on Monday, according to park officials.

The 20-year-old Washington state woman and her father got out of their car near Maiden’s Grave Spring, close to the Firehole River, when the dog jumped out of the car and ran into the hot spring. The woman ran into the 200-degree water after the dog, a news release says.

Her father pulled her out and drove to West Yellowstone in Montana for help. It wasn’t clear who pulled the dog out. Initially, park rangers and responders from the Hebgen Basin Rural Fire District tended to her injuries, but the woman was ultimately taken to the burn center at Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center.

While the initial statement said the woman’s father was going to take the dog to a veterinarian, an update Wednesday said the pet had died.

The release did not name the woman, but a GoFundMe campaign raising money for her medical bills and other expenses identified her as Laiha Slayton. The site says the fundraiser is organized by Slayton’s sister, Kamilla Slayton. She wrote that her sister had burns over 90 percent of her body, had undergone emergency surgery and was in a medically induced coma. Their father also burned his foot pulling his daughter out, she wrote.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Yellowstone visitor burned while trying to rescue her dog from a hot spring
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 07, 2021 10:25AM
Ugh...

I'm just gonna leave it there... Ugh... 2nd and 3rd degree burns, 90% of her body... Ugh...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 07, 2021 10:32AM
Those are horrific injuries, very sorry to hear that.

I wish people would not take pets to Yellowstone and other sensitive natural areas. They harass wildlife and create other problems.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 07, 2021 12:06PM
LOTS of warning signs that apparently were ignored. In this case, death might fix stupid..

I’d like to see park staff post photos of the “after” math. A few gory pictures might do a better job of warning the terminally stupid.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 07, 2021 12:33PM
It would be hard to let your pet just go like that, how terrible. Glad the father was able to at least save his daughter. Best wishes to all of them.
Date: October 07, 2021 12:49PM
mikebw
It would be hard to let your pet just go like that, how terrible. Glad the father was able to at least save his daughter. Best wishes to all of them.

We don't know yet that she'll survive. 90% 2nd and 3rd degree burns are pretty bad.
And, easier to let the pet go, than to jump into BOILING WATER after them.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 07, 2021 12:56PM
Dammit.
National Parks are not Amusement Parks. So many people forget that. LEASH your pets ! Or keep them at home or in pet hotels.
Date: October 07, 2021 01:02PM
cbelt3
Dammit.
National Parks are not Amusement Parks. So many people forget that. LEASH your pets ! Or keep them at home or in pet hotels.

Last time I went through Yellowstone (2018? I think?) there were NO shortage of signs to that effect. Plus a big sign entering the park. And a flyer in the packet you get when you buy the ticket to enter the park. And Rangers saying it at every stopping place to tourists with dogs.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: October 07, 2021 01:23PM
Earlier this week a couple near Asheville narrowly escaped being mauled by
an angry black bear that had been agitated by their off leash collie. The bear jumped on their car after they got inside.
They drove to a hospital and were treated for minor injuries. Dog is fine.

Bear has not been located so won't be euthanized, lucky for him or her. That's a separate unnecessary tragedy that might have happened.

They were in an area that doesn't allow off leash for that very reason. Wish people would keep dogs out of these areas.
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 07, 2021 01:26PM
Tragic accidents happen. They opened the car door and the dog popped out - or they got out, closed the doors and somehow a window was left open enough for the dog to pop out. Maybe the doggo always did something like that, or maybe it was the first time ever. Once the dog hits the water and starts screaming, all hell breaks loose. Nobody's thinking straight - except pops. Lucky for the young woman that he was there… though that kind of insult/injury to the body's largest organ is going to be hell to overcome. Their lives all changed drastically - and forever - in that one instant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2021 01:26PM by bfd.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 07, 2021 02:11PM
Tragic accidents happen. They opened the car door and the dog popped out - or they got out, closed the doors and somehow a window was left open enough for the dog to pop out. Maybe the doggo always did something like that, or maybe it was the first time ever.

This and all the rest.

There's nothing about or beyond when the dog jumped out of the car and ran into the hot spring to indicate she took the dog out for a romp.

Dad did save his daughter.

Whether or not she survives beyond this point is another matter, and for me, another time to discuss if at all.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 07, 2021 02:18PM
I wonder if they're going to fill in the hot spring now. Seeing as we euthanize wild animals that attack people who do stupid things that result in attacks, it would be logical that the spring be properly sealed to prevent future issues. All said with sarcasm.
Date: October 07, 2021 02:48PM
macphanatic
I wonder if they're going to fill in the hot spring now. Seeing as we euthanize wild animals that attack people who do stupid things that result in attacks, it would be logical that the spring be properly sealed to prevent future issues. All said with sarcasm.

Exactly.

Use common sense and leave the dog at home, this whole thing never happens. Most parts of Yellowstone are off limits to dogs. For good reason. I hope people see this story and think twice before taking a dog to these areas. And dogs have to get out at times, cooped up in hot car isn't good. Leave them home.

And I say that as someone who nearly got hit by a truck to save her own dog. I get that impulse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2021 02:50PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 07, 2021 04:23PM
mikebw
It would be hard to let your pet just go like that, how terrible.

Not when you contemplate the alternative... which I wish she would have done before acting.

This is horrible, but... how do you not read the MULTIPLE signs posted that explain the dangers associated with these pools?

It is what it is.
Date: October 07, 2021 04:30PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Not when you contemplate the alternative... which I wish she would have done before acting.

This is horrible, but... how do you not read the MULTIPLE signs posted that explain the dangers associated with these pools?

I wasn't there, so, I can't really know - but I wonder how you don't get an immediate understanding when the dog hits the water and starts howling in agony. Even if you miss the signs - how do you make the decision to follow the dog into the water?
Again, I wasn't there, so maybe the events were not like I'm picturing...

I wish her a full recovery... however unlikely that is.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 07, 2021 05:52PM
Not trying to be funny or trivialize this tragedy in any way, but wouldn’t it be unusual for a dog to make a beeline to an unknown source of water and just jump in? (I’ve never owned a dog).

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2021 05:54PM by Ammo.
Date: October 07, 2021 06:43PM
Ammo
Not trying to be funny or trivialize this tragedy in any way, but wouldn’t it be unusual for a dog to make a beeline to an unknown source of water and just jump in? (I’ve never owned a dog).

Lots of dogs might do just that.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 07, 2021 07:11PM
Why do people feel like the need to take their frickin' dog everywhere they go? You go to Lowe's and have to tip the frick around puddles of dog piss. I know many people do it to draw attention to themselves. Just leave the dog at home or have it boarded for god sakes.

Grateful11
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: October 07, 2021 11:38PM
Grateful11
Why do people feel like the need to take their frickin' dog everywhere they go?...

agree smiley
(Not) sorry - my sympathy meter is reading pretty low on this one...it's borderline Darwinism.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 08, 2021 07:17AM
.....hot.....dog [ too soon? ]....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 08, 2021 09:27AM
Grateful11
Why do people feel like the need to take their frickin' dog everywhere they go? You go to Lowe's and have to tip the frick around puddles of dog piss. I know many people do it to draw attention to themselves. Just leave the dog at home or have it boarded for god sakes.

In stores like Lowes or home depot i don't mind and you'd be surprised at how many training books/vids suggest taking them to store to enhance socialization. what i do mind are the irresponsible owners who do not clean up after their dogs if there's a mishap.

just this morning heard an interesting report on dog ownership in Germany. Their rules for dog ownership benefit canines and humans.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 08, 2021 06:11PM
sure, I get socialization, but not everyone believes that your best buddy is THEIR best buddy. In Washington State, it is against health code to take a dog into a grocery store, or I assume in a big box store with grocery section, unless it is a legit helper dog for a person with legit disability AND the dog is wearing a service dog vest or appropriate ID.

I have NEVER seen a store employee call ANYONE on these damn purse dogs, or the big dog wearing a jaunty bandana and on a leash. NEVER. Leave them in the vehicle outside, or tie up their leash, or leave them at home.

Hey, I love animals. But there are places that they aren't appropriate, or welcome, or legal.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2021 06:12PM by Racer X.
Date: October 08, 2021 10:19PM
Racer X
sure, I get socialization, but not everyone believes that your best buddy is THEIR best buddy. In Washington State, it is against health code to take a dog into a grocery store, or I assume in a big box store with grocery section, unless it is a legit helper dog for a person with legit disability AND the dog is wearing a service dog vest or appropriate ID.

I have NEVER seen a store employee call ANYONE on these damn purse dogs, or the big dog wearing a jaunty bandana and on a leash. NEVER. Leave them in the vehicle outside, or tie up their leash, or leave them at home.

Hey, I love animals. But there are places that they aren't appropriate, or welcome, or legal.

Dude, down here in SoCal they are allowed in some restaurants!

It is what it is.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 08, 2021 10:23PM
Racer X

Oh, i'm with you. The big box home improvement stores and Petsmart are my okay with well-behaved dogs and responsible pet owners stores. Food stores and restaurants - NO. Clothing stores - NO. Real service animals are always okay. ESA - NO. I was a real stickler about this when I worked at Starbucks. Some people hated me for it.

btw, there is no ID for service animals and legally only two questions can be asked:
1. Is this animal required because of a disability?
2. What service is the animal trained to provide?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2021 10:26PM by graylocks.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 09, 2021 01:20AM
CA is defintely screwed up where dogs in public buildings/places are concerned.

CA defines as only dogs trained to be of service qualifying as service dogs and psychiatric service dogs (though there's something about miniature horses, too.

Emotional support dogs don't count as a protected category, nor should it.

As gl notes:

there is no ID for service animals and legally only two questions can be asked:
1. Is this animal required because of a disability?
2. What service is the animal trained to provide?

In fact, the Alameda Sheriff's Office and Academy requires that instead of #1, they can only ask

'Why is that dog here?'

In an attempt to skirt any possible HIPPA complaint.

So without any way to ID a true service dog, most people can claim anything.

While it's a misdemeanor to pretend one's dog is a service dog, how is that even proven?

I have NEVER seen a store employee call ANYONE on these damn purse dogs, or the big dog wearing a jaunty bandana and on a leash.

This.

And true dat on the bandanaed dog!

What's up with that.

As gl said, there's no ID or vest requirement, and a store rep can't say 'Ok, have it demonstrate some service act it's trained to do'.

So people parade around with any sort of dog, often not on a leash, with impunity.

I'd really like to see CA require a vest with state ID number displayed.

And to be clear, this is a completely separate issue from a family pet escaping from a car.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 12, 2021 05:55PM
the popular "my pet is too special not to be with me 100% of the time" syndrome.

most pets aren't trained worth a tinker's d***.

no surprise it treated the closest source of water the same as its owner's backyard pool.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 72
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020