advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Subscription Services and your finances
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 09, 2021 11:59AM
Pretty amazing. It's only a buck here and a buck there, but it very quickly adds up to real money.

A June 2021 report from digital consulting firm West Monroe Partners found that American consumers on average are paying $273 a month in subscription services, up from $237 in 2018. Yet the report, which surveyed 2,500 U.S. consumers, also found that most people thought they were actually spending less on subscriptions than they did in 2018.

“When you hear people talk about savings, it’s like ‘pay yourself first,’” says Zarak Khan, senior behavioral researcher with Common Cents Lab, which focuses on financial wellness for low- to middle-income Americans. This “is quite literally the opposite of that,” he says. “You’re paying everybody else first.”

[www.wsj.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Subscription Services and your finances
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 09, 2021 12:04PM
....guess people will have to let their Playboy subscriptions run out....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 09, 2021 12:15PM
And this is why every company wants to be paid as a subscription service.

I am literally the only member of my family who actively tried to manage this. 'What's $5?) Well, that's $60 a year, or $72 when it goes up to $6/month...

Even so, keeping track is hard with things changing so quickly! We started doing this when cord-cutting, but I admit I do not think I have a current list of all of the monthly services we are now using thanks to COVID. The last time I deeply itemized was whenAppleTV+ was still free (and when we lost access to our favorite baseball team that moved to a singular streaming service that sucked).
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 09, 2021 12:49PM
all you need to do is look at your credit card statements for the monthly charges, and then figure out if you have yearly subscriptions (Amazon prime or similar), and take those int account too.

Yes, it ads up very quickly.

Do we include things like cell phone service in here?
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 09, 2021 12:58PM
Cheapskate here smiling smiley

I get FREE "Standard" Netflix streaming with my T-Mobile account. I have a HULU deal, $1.99 / month ($2.12 w / taxes) for "Ad Supported" streaming which ends soon and, I'll cancel it BEFORE it goes to "regular" rates. I got deals on "Magellan" ($36 / year) and Curiosity Stream (I forget the exact amount but, similar to Magellan). BOTH offer "Commercial Free" with content I'm ACTUALLY interested so, my total streaming content costs under $100 / month. IF Magellan or Curiosity Stream raises their rates, I'll drop them too. old fogey smiley
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 09, 2021 01:06PM
$49.93 for what I can remember off the top of my head. streaming tv, streaming music, iCloud storage, and OnStar.

That does not include cable internet, cell phone, or Amazon Prime which I would pay for anyway.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 09, 2021 01:12PM
graylocks
$49.93 for what I can remember off the top of my head. streaming tv, streaming music, iCloud storage, and OnStar.

That does not include cable internet, cell phone, or Amazon Prime which I would pay for anyway.

Not so easy to calculate these days. We have HBOMax from our cell phone bundle from AT&T for example.
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 09, 2021 01:28PM
I’ve set up my finances to eliminate most recurring bills, which allows me a great deal of financial independence.

My only remaining bills are taxes, insurance, and phone.

I fully own my vehicle and property, and live off the grid. Phone used to be straight $.10 a minute, no data. (Until I bought my second, more remote property with few connection options) Now I have an unlimited plan.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 09, 2021 01:30PM
Free,

This is exactly why cord cutting isn't necessarily less expensive than keeping cable TV. People dump cable and then get caught up in subscribing to several services to get content again. Much of the content they're paying for separately via the subscriptions was already available as a part of the FIOS service as live and included video-on-demand (VOD) content. Meaning, open VOD and it's there. It's one of the reasons we keep FIOS. I believe we get access to HBO Max free of charge via our FIOS service.

You can actually get tremendous value if you choose your subscription services carefully. Amazon Prime is an astonishingly cost effective subscription service. Prime video, prime music, prime books, shipping benefits, you name it. Dollar for dollar, it's excellent bang for the buck.

Service I found that are worth paying for separately are Kindle Unlimited, Disney+ and NetFlix. I am a huge reader and get astonishing value out of my Kindle Unlimited subscription. It pays for itself each month many times over. Disney+ is especially solid since it includes Disney, Marvel and Lucasfilm content. It'd be costly to access that amount of content via rental and/or purchase from other sources. Disney+ is especially solid value if you have little ones.

Robert
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 09, 2021 03:02PM
Do we include things like cell phone service in here?
- - -

This ^.

We already know what where not going to live without, so no need to lump that in.

It's the little things that count add up.

This is exactly why cord cutting isn't necessarily less expensive than keeping cable TV.

That is exactly right.

Back when people used to say '500 channels and nothing to watch!' and demand a la cart, I said that would be a problem, and it is, for a lot of people.

So whether it's $5 subs all over the place, or tiered cable, there's not getting out of it alive.

The only acceptable, care free answer for me is being insanely rich and not giving a damn about niggles such as subscription costs.

Regrettably, that's not an option.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: October 09, 2021 07:41PM
One hefty dash of salt in the wound is the current proliferation of ‘Prime’ versions or tiers of streaming subscription services.

Yes, you get a certain level of VOD with your cable package, but now availability of some episodes of content (sometimes it’s past content, sometimes it’s content from the current season) expires after a certain point and becomes pay per view or… you can subscribe to a separate Peacock or Paramount+ type service.

And of course a lot of people forget you don’t have to sub to a given service 12 months out of the year. If you’re not getting some bargain rate, you can actually make use of the a la carte nature of services by only subscribing when a channel is running particular content you want.

You can even take this farther, if the viewing style suits you, by letting a given series finish, then subscribing for as little as a month and binge watching the series. This is a strategy I’ve been adopting more and more.

The content merchants are implacable and clever pickpockets, but it’s possible to make their fingers at least slightly less sticky.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 12, 2021 06:05PM
Robert M
Free,

This is exactly why cord cutting isn't necessarily less expensive than keeping cable TV. People dump cable and then get caught up in subscribing to several services to get content again. Much of the content they're paying for separately via the subscriptions was already available as a part of the FIOS service as live and included video-on-demand (VOD) content. Meaning, open VOD and it's there. It's one of the reasons we keep FIOS. I believe we get access to HBO Max free of charge via our FIOS service.

You can actually get tremendous value if you choose your subscription services carefully. Amazon Prime is an astonishingly cost effective subscription service. Prime video, prime music, prime books, shipping benefits, you name it. Dollar for dollar, it's excellent bang for the buck.

Service I found that are worth paying for separately are Kindle Unlimited, Disney+ and NetFlix. I am a huge reader and get astonishing value out of my Kindle Unlimited subscription. It pays for itself each month many times over. Disney+ is especially solid since it includes Disney, Marvel and Lucasfilm content. It'd be costly to access that amount of content via rental and/or purchase from other sources. Disney+ is especially solid value if you have little ones.

Robert

Except it's child's play to add/drop streaming services even on a month-to-month basis.

With cable TV you've normally got equipment plus install/re-connect fees...the ties that bind.

Don't forget the annual sales with streaming services that you NEVER see with cable TV, e.g. Hulu for $1.99/month.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020