Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 09, 2021 10:17PM
Poll
72 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
How do you prepare your coffee?

How do you prepare your coffee?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Coffe Drinkers
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 09, 2021 10:28PM
I voted "Drip Coffee Maker (Mr Coffee Style)" because that's what I used NOT most often.

I also like Turkish Coffee (yes, I have an Ibrik) and I also have an Bialetti Moka Express pot.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 09, 2021 10:56PM
A year or three ago, I tried Nescafe Tasters Choice French Roast Freeze Dried crystals while on the road in my RV. I was surprised at how good it tasted (my prior method was a Cuisinart Grind and Brew Mr Coffee style machine with Starbucks French Roast Whole Beans (which made excellent coffee). The Tasters Choice is super simple. One heaping teaspoon of crystals in a large cup, add sufficient water and microwave for ~ five minutes (I could also just heat water on a stove top or even over a campfire). NO grinding chamber or basket to wash. Just one cup and spoon. If I want a second cup, ~ five minutes and enjoy! yum smiley
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 09, 2021 11:05PM
Where is the Dunkin option?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 10, 2021 01:53AM
testcase
A year or three ago, I tried Nescafe Tasters Choice French Roast Freeze Dried crystals while on the road in my RV. I was surprised at how good it tasted (my prior method was a Cuisinart Grind and Brew Mr Coffee style machine with Starbucks French Roast Whole Beans (which made excellent coffee). The Tasters Choice is super simple. One heaping teaspoon of crystals in a large cup, add sufficient water and microwave for ~ five minutes (I could also just heat water on a stove top or even over a campfire). NO grinding chamber or basket to wash. Just one cup and spoon. If I want a second cup, ~ five minutes and enjoy! yum smiley

Sidebar- I see a lot, and I mean A LOT, of those Cuisinart Grind & Brew coffee makers at thrift stores with most looking like they've hardly been used. Is there a problem with them, or do you think grinding, brewing, and cleaning up the machine afterwards is more trouble than it's worth for most people on a daily basis?

Back to the topic at hand, Mr. Coffee-style drip coffee maker for me.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2021 04:12AM by Thrift Store Scott.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 10, 2021 02:40AM
I have about 4 different ways, depending on the circumstances.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: davester
Date: October 10, 2021 02:56AM
Tea

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Michael
Date: October 10, 2021 04:18AM
Thrift Store Scott

Sidebar- I see a lot, and I mean A LOT, of those Cuisinart Grind & Brew coffee makers at thrift stores with most looking like they've hardly been used. Is there a problem with them, or do you think grinding, brewing, and cleaning up the machine afterwards is more trouble than it's worth for most people on a daily basis?

My SIL has one that he used for several years. Now it's in the cabinet. I think it's exactly what you say. Since our daughter was using a K-cup thing he finally shifted to that. I shifted to a K-cup (but a refillable one so it costs almost nothing to use) when my wife shifted to one since she likes different coffees regularly and our drip coffee maker just wasn't amenable to that without buying a lot of different bags of coffee. We buy her different types of K-cup coffees; I just use Kirkland coffee in the refillable K-cup. By the way, I don't use the one that came with the coffee maker since it's very unwieldy. I use some I bought on eBay that look pretty much like a regular K-cup. Easy-peasy.
Posted by: DP
Date: October 10, 2021 06:52AM
Tea

Oh, I'm so sorry!!!

We have a double carafe Krups coffee maker that we've had for years and I make strong coffee for me, and usually use Seattle's Best or Gevalia medium roast while my wife prefers a flavored coffee, prepared weaker than mine. So the double carafe works very well for us.

We have a Mr. Coffee and a Keurig at our cottage mostly for our guests and while I like the convenience of the K-cups, I find the amount makes a weak cup. I also have the reusable "cups" for it.

I'm just having fun with davester-I usually have a cup or two of tea in the afternoon, literally at four o'clock-just for the slighter kick of energy. I have either Green or Irish Breakfast tea for that...

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 10, 2021 07:45AM
I too voted "Drip Coffee Maker (Mr Coffee Style)". I daily use my Krupps
but I also use a Keurig Commercial for a cup of decaf (reusable cup) .
My 'collection' also includes a French Press, an old school stove-top
percolator, and a '50s Sunbeam C30A vacuum pot (pita to clean), Also have
a Bunn commercial stored away! Yes, I'm a coffee maker hoarder.
coffee smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2021 07:47AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 10, 2021 07:57AM
Marzocco

Just kidding. Aeropress for me, and I'll never go back. Unless Marzocco!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 10, 2021 08:05AM
Rolando,

You need another option: drip but not like a Mr Coffee model. Mine Bonavita fit this category. It's more like an automated pour-over model. The filter basket isn't attached to the machine. Rather, it sits on top of the carafe. No timer. No auto-pause to take a cup during the brewing cycle. No thermal carafe. No built-in grinder. Just an on/off switch, a hot plate that turns itself off automatically and dishwasher safe components. It's a very basic machine despite being highly regarded by coffee experts and does a superb job brewing coffee.

Robert
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 10, 2021 08:51AM
Had a K cup a long time ago. Ditched it as most of the coffee was ok but not great, especially for the cost and waste. Now use a drip machine at home. Have a vacuum coffee maker that makes much better coffee but it's not as convenient. When camping, I use an Aeropress. Does a great job, but it's one cup at a time.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 10, 2021 09:07AM
Home: Nespresso Vertuo with 8 ounce Odacio or Melozio pods.

Boat: Nespresso Original with Kazaar espresso pods.

Work: Keurig with Double Diamond pods.

Special: Latte with an extra shot form the local "Foto Hut" coffee house, Joe Beans.
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 10, 2021 09:25AM
Lux Interior
Home: Nespresso Vertuo with 8 ounce Odacio or Melozio pods.

Boat: Nespresso Original with Kazaar espresso pods.

Work: Keurig with Double Diamond pods.

Special: Latte with an extra shot form the local "Foto Hut" coffee house, Joe Beans.

Can I come over for coffee sometime, maybe on the boat? grinning smiley
I really like the Nespresso coffee, we had a maker in our hotel room in Europe years ago, but I never invested in the machine or the pods.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Microman
Date: October 10, 2021 09:46AM
I use to drip, but would waste so much.

I was given a single user Keurig type machine.

Buy coffee at Costco, and use the Bed Bath and Beyond refillable cups, that easily was in the dishwasher, and have a cup that way.

Buy Folgers or some red plastic tub when on sale. Works great. And always have the fresh drip instead of a half decanter of yesterdays coffee.
Date: October 10, 2021 09:49AM
Micro,

Why would you waste coffee by using a drip?Just brew enough for your single cup. Done. I know how much water and coffee to put into the Bonavita for a single mug. No waste. if I want another mug, brew another dose. Done.

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 10, 2021 10:13AM
.....you didn't list Senseo as option.....

....Keurig cups are not recyclable so are horrible for environment.....at least Nespresso pods are recyclable......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: October 10, 2021 10:27AM
Newton,

People still use a Senseo machine? I haven't seen pods for it in local stores in years. I had a couple of them. Kinda cool but neither better nor worse than a k-cup when it came to coffee quality. An improvement over k-cups, since pods were easy to recycle. Easy to make your own, too. I still have a Senseo machine and pod making gadget in storage. Keep meaning to dump them since I'll likely never use it again and I doubt I can get the consumables for the pod maker these days.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2021 10:28AM by Robert M.
Posted by: carl
Date: October 10, 2021 10:53AM
About three years ago we started using the pour over method. We did this because my wife decided to quit drinking coffee and started drinking tea, she will still occasionally have cup of decaf coffee. I sometimes drink it it in the morning, but not every day.

It just didn't make since to keep a Bunn coffee maker plugged in and ready to go-no point in paying to keep water hot and not use it.

Over the years we have used drip coffee makers made by Mr Coffee, Zojirushi and Bunn. We also used a couple different french press coffee makers, I can't recall who made them.

All the methods seem to make a cup of coffee that tastes about the same to me and in the end the pour over method is the easiest and simplest method for my wife and I.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 10, 2021 11:23AM
I use a Keurig. I use refillable k-cups; haven't bought disposables in a while. Also handy for when decaf people visit and I don't want to make a pot of decaf for the person who will have two sips.

We also have a Nespresso espresso maker. They recycle the pods; I just take them to the Williams Sonoma from time to time.

Had a Senseo years ago; messy setup. That didn't last long.

Favorite coffee maker I ever had was the Bodum Santos from the early 00s. Lost it to Katrina in 2005 and never found a suitable replacement. Bodum *eventually* made a replacement version (ePebo) but it's not quite the same.

YMMV. TEHO.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Microman
Date: October 10, 2021 11:30AM
Robert, I am not up on the newest coffee makers, that can make one cup.... Can you attach a link?
Posted by: rz
Date: October 10, 2021 11:51AM
Tea here also. Hot in the morning, iced the rest of the day.
Date: October 10, 2021 11:57AM
rz
Tea here also. Hot in the morning, iced the rest of the day.

....earl grey.....hot.....???

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 10, 2021 12:23PM
Coffee until about 3pm, tea after that time
Date: October 10, 2021 12:28PM
.....no....tea and a......all day....???

Date: October 10, 2021 02:08PM
Thrift Store Scott
testcase

MANY years ago, I received an email offer of a refurbished Cuisinart Grind & Brew for ~ $25! Even then, said product retailed for $100+. I bought one and was VERY happy with the coffee it made so much so that when ~ a month later the offer was repeated at a price ~ $30 I got a "back up", Back then, replacement parts started at $10 (glass carafes alone were ~ $30). The first unit soldiered on for just over a decade! Unit #2 went into service and, it's STILL making great coffee (when I use it). When I had a house, it was really no big deal to wash the grinding chamber or basket. In my RV with a tiny kitchen, it IS more awkward to wash so, after trying Nescafe's French Roast crystals, I switched to that method. I have NO IDEA as to the quality of today's Cuisinart Grind & Brew (if said model is still available). You didn't say how much a thrift store is asking BUT, if was ~ $10 or less, I'd recommend grabbing one. Just run a white vinegar cleaning cycle followed by a plain water rinse cycle before you make any coffee. If you're as happy as I've been, you'll probably buy a second unit if only for spare parts. NOTE: the grinding chamber needs to be DRY when you first start. Completely drying it by hand would be difficult. I always washed it and let it air dry. If you wanted to make a second pot shortly after the first, have a second grinding chamber would be recommended.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2021 02:20PM by testcase.
Date: October 10, 2021 03:12PM
testcase
Thrift Store Scott
testcase

MANY years ago, I received an email offer of a refurbished Cuisinart Grind & Brew for ~ $25! Even then, said product retailed for $100+. I bought one and was VERY happy with the coffee it made so much so that when ~ a month later the offer was repeated at a price ~ $30 I got a "back up", Back then, replacement parts started at $10 (glass carafes alone were ~ $30). The first unit soldiered on for just over a decade! Unit #2 went into service and, it's STILL making great coffee (when I use it). When I had a house, it was really no big deal to wash the grinding chamber or basket. In my RV with a tiny kitchen, it IS more awkward to wash so, after trying Nescafe's French Roast crystals, I switched to that method. I have NO IDEA as to the quality of today's Cuisinart Grind & Brew (if said model is still available). You didn't say how much a thrift store is asking BUT, if was ~ $10 or less, I'd recommend grabbing one. Just run a white vinegar cleaning cycle followed by a plain water rinse cycle before you make any coffee. If you're as happy as I've been, you'll probably buy a second unit if only for spare parts. NOTE: the grinding chamber needs to be DRY when you first start. Completely drying it by hand would be difficult. I always washed it and let it air dry. If you wanted to make a second pot shortly after the first, have a second grinding chamber would be recommended.

Thanks for the detailed info! The last time I was at a thrift store I looked at coffee makers specifically and there were as many Cuisinarts as other brands combined, but you never know, that may have been due to a business or office nearby replacing them with Keurigs as seems to be the trend now.

As for running a cleaning cycle with white vinegar, oh heck yes! I do that on every one I get before use, brand new OR second-hand. I always put an empty coffee filter in the basket to catch anything that comes out in case a second cleaning cycle might be needed, and I have caught some absolute chunks of lime scale that way. Birmingham's water comes from a lake but is still somewhat hard from all the limestone the water passes over on the way to the lake. If the coffee maker was in use somewhere nearby that had a well, big chunks of lime scale coming out during a cleaning is a given.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: October 10, 2021 03:52PM
Fully automated espresso machine.

Picked up this $299 Saeco HD8645 about a year ago, and absolutely love it. I put it through its paces daily (6 shots/day), and it's still humming along. I've had fully automatics since the early 2000s, gone through a few machines. So glad when they simplified and dropped the price to this range.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Date: October 10, 2021 04:43PM
Micro,

You don't need a specific make or model coffee maker to brew a single cup of coffee. Any drip model will do the job nicely. Adjust the amount of coffee and water in the machine to suit a single cup instead of a full pot. The amount of coffee and water necessary is 100% dependent on the machine and your taste. Just takes a little trial and error.

Robert
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 10, 2021 06:31PM
Very happy with the Bonavita machine I've had for 5 years. It is technically drip coffee but nothing like a Mr. Coffee. Has a showerhead that evenly distributes hot water and steam and infuses it into the grounds.
It has a stainless pot that keeps the fresh coffee hot, no hot pad to burn the coffee.

Also, simple one toggle switch operation. Easy to clean. Parts have all held up well to daily use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2021 06:33PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 10, 2021 07:13PM
Another thing I like is my Ember mug.

Keeps coffee at the desired temperature (143 deg for me).

I was used to knocking back the last sips of coffee quickly since it was cold by then, but now it's still hot and will burn my mouth.
Date: October 10, 2021 09:58PM
A friend I visit lives in FL. He switched to a Keurig system years ago and is now on at least his third unit. Other Keurig using friends have also had to replace their Keurig units in less than three years. Keurig's don't seem to last long. My FL friend "stocks" a variety of pods so I've been able to try quite a few types of coffee and hot chocolate when I visit. The last time I visited, I brought a case of Folgers "Black Silk" K-Cups. They were the BEST cups of Keurig made coffee I've ever had.

I keep meaning to take my Cuisinart Grind and Brew unit out, run a cleaning cycle and then brew a pot. When I was using it regularly, I'd make a half pot (six "cups") every morning which would fill my large YETI insulated travel cup. GOOD coffee is one of life's simple indulgences. boink smiley
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: October 11, 2021 05:27AM
French press, as you probably know… I use cold brew in summer and I usually put it in a nitrogen cream whipper for an extra treat.

I also have an espresso maker, Vietnamese phin, a Chemex, a Farberware percolator, and a Keurig. I’d love the phin and the Chemex if they made hotter coffee and didn’t use a filter (Chemex). I adore a cappuccino, but I practice intermittent fasting and can’t have milk in the morning anymore. I rarely had time to pull it, anyway. I have tight margins in the morning.

There was a Mr. Coffee in the rental house a month ago, and I absolutely could not get it to make a drinkable cup of coffee… I’ve done it before, scaling down the portions to one cup, but for some reason, this just made dishwater no matter how much coffee I added(it even had a "strong" setting).
Posted by: Z
Date: October 11, 2021 01:12PM
In order of usage:
Fully automatic espresso
Technivorm (mr coffee type)
French press
Stovetop moka pot
Pourover
Toddy cold brew maker

(forgot the Vietnamese pourover as mentioned above!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2021 01:15PM by Z.
Date: October 11, 2021 02:23PM
.....everyone seems to be traditional....no one uses cold brew......even though it is 'hot' right now.......????

Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: October 11, 2021 02:28PM
I use cold brew but I only like hot coffee when it’s not hot out. I like cold brew when it’s summer…
Date: October 11, 2021 03:33PM
NewtonMP2100
.....everyone seems to be traditional....no one uses cold brew......even though it is 'hot' right now.......????

If I don't finish a pot I've made in the Mr. Coffee, I'll put it the fridge and drink it cold later. Is that close enough?

Posted by: dk62
Date: October 13, 2021 09:48AM
What's an Expresso Machine? smile smiley

As of a few years ago, since stomach surgery, mainly K-cup
Before that, either espresso or Turkish
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020