advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Jim Cramer Investment Club?
Posted by: samintx
Date: October 12, 2021 08:01AM
Anyone signing up? I personally can’t stand him. Wish he was off TV.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Jim Cramer Investment Club?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 12, 2021 08:03AM
.....he is a quack.....don't join anything he is promoting......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Forrest
Date: October 12, 2021 08:17AM
He’s been right and wrong many times over his career. He has made a lot of money for himself and investors, or he wouldn’t still be on tv. I think you’ll be broke soon if you base your stock buying decisions off recommendations from his Mad Money broadcast.
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 12, 2021 08:39AM
Oh, dear God Sam, think twice before doing that.

Also, you really don’t need to have been right to be on TV these days, just loud and entertaining.
Date: October 12, 2021 08:41AM
.....there was a story way back.....that he picks some stocks due to 'benefits' from the company.....

Date: October 12, 2021 08:48AM
pdq
Oh, dear God Sam, think twice before doing that.

Also, you really don’t need to have been right to be on TV these days, just loud and entertaining.

I ain’t joining. I have done very well on my own.
Date: October 12, 2021 08:49AM
NewtonMP2100
.....there was a story way back.....that he picks some stocks due to 'benefits' from the company.....

Yes, I remember his. Hugh faux pas. He still is borderline with comments.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 12, 2021 09:10AM
Didn't he recommend investing in real estate in 2007?
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 12, 2021 09:11AM
Jim Cramer on Market manipulation (what he's describing is essentially illegal)

The Street.com interview where Jim Cramer describes how to manipulate the market.
[youtu.be]

Solving the Money Problem's take
[www.youtube.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 12, 2021 09:21AM
Stock picking is either all about research and basic metrics.
Or it's about mob psychology.

Cramer fans the flames of the mob psychology.

However... my dear departed mother would watch him every night. And read the WSJ every day. And do independent research. And talk it over with her broker.
And ended up with well over 10% gains every year, even in down years. Mom was a dang genius. I wish it had rubbed off on me, but it didn't.
Date: October 12, 2021 10:14AM
Is 10% considered good? I've managed about 23% over the last 15 or so years. I just invest in companies I like and believe in.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 12, 2021 10:16AM
All I know is Cramer has been on target whenever he talks about AAPL. Buy and hold AAPL. I agree with this. As far as the rest of his recommendations, I don't know how well he predicts.

His show is hard to watch though, I don't care for all his little sound effects.

I only catch him once in awhile, usually on Yahoo Finance when he is a guest of the panel.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: October 12, 2021 10:41AM
He isn't dumb. He hired Rob Mauer to advise him on Tesla.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 12, 2021 11:56AM
ztirffritz
Is 10% considered good? I've managed about 23% over the last 15 or so years. I just invest in companies I like and believe in.

My stock index mutual fund has returned an average of 16.6% over the past 10 years.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 12, 2021 01:32PM
ztirffritz
I speak on a year by year basis. Her broker would follow her recommendations. Let me put it to you this way... her estate was substantial. That's why I could buy my daughter a new Subaru yesterday.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 12, 2021 01:44PM
cbelt3
Stock picking is either all about research and basic metrics.
Or it's about mob psychology.

Cramer fans the flames of the mob psychology.

However... my dear departed mother would watch him every night. And read the WSJ every day. And do independent research. And talk it over with her broker.
And ended up with well over 10% gains every year, even in down years. Mom was a dang genius. I wish it had rubbed off on me, but it didn't.

If you commit to doing the research, you can probably do pretty darn well if you stick to prudent decision making. If you're not willing to put in the time to do your own research, you have to rely on somebody you trust to make investment decisions on your behalf. Good luck.
==
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 12, 2021 02:07PM
cbelt3
ztirffritz
I speak on a year by year basis. Her broker would follow her recommendations. Let me put it to you this way... her estate was substantial. That's why I could buy my daughter a new Subaru yesterday.

Well, you did say over 10% including in down years. It is still having gains in down years that puts your mother ahead of most.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2021 02:07PM by JoeH.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 12, 2021 04:34PM
No.

Nononononononono.

No.

Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 12, 2021 05:37PM
ztirffritz
. . . I just invest in companies I like and believe in.

I did this once and it paid off: AAPL.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 12, 2021 06:14PM
Cramer is no particular genius. Almost all his knowledge comes from insider information through his contacts at Wall Street. That’s why he was anti-Tesla, before it became popular with Wall Street. Having said that, I suppose there is some value in that kind of intelligence.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 12, 2021 06:33PM
Well, this has become a d!ck swinging thread. I could probably retire in a couple of years if I could be confident of a continued 23% return. You'd double your money every 3.5 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2021 06:36PM by mattkime.
Date: October 12, 2021 06:50PM
mattkime
Well, this has become a d!ck swinging thread. I could probably retire in a couple of years if I could be confident of a continued 23% return. You'd double your money every 3.5 years.

I have zero confidence in what I'm doing, so past performance is not indicative of future results. I strongly suspect that I've just been exceedingly lucky. I look for companies with a great product, little or no competition, and under valued by the market.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 12, 2021 08:04PM
Heck, I’m down 6 3/4% in the last month alone.

I should have invested in TSLA when Paul F. was touting it. I’d be a millionaire. But Elon was just too freaky to trust my money to.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2021 08:05PM by Speedy.
Date: October 12, 2021 10:43PM
Speedy
But Elon was just too freaky to trust my money to.

This is where thoroughly researching a company pays off. Of course, most people don’t have the time, hence why the conservative move is putting your money in an index fund.
Date: October 12, 2021 10:48PM
....but dont' put in your index finger......

Date: October 13, 2021 09:11AM
Carnos Jax
Speedy

This is where thoroughly researching a company pays off. Of course, most people don’t have the time, hence why the conservative move is putting your money in an index fund.

Active money managers rarely outperform index funds. Its not a matter of doing a bit of research.

Date: October 13, 2021 09:31AM
TSLA is still a good investment. The number of cars needed will remain the same, but most of the legacy auto companies are going to go bankrupt in just a few years...how they'll emerge from that remains to be seen, but I expect they'll be a shadow of their former incarnations. GM and Ford in particular are in bad shape. Ford's stock is essentially junk rating...yet it's still going up for some reason. They have >$150billion of debt. GM isn't doing much better with more than $100billion of debt. Both companies are going to need to spend money like there's no tomorrow to survive the EV transition. VW also has a MASSIVE amount of debt at >$200billion, but VW has recognized what's coming and their CEO is trying to change direction as quickly as they can...it won't be easy though. VW is FULLY aware of the existential threat that Tesla represents. Tesla can make a car from start to finish in less than 12 hours, while VW requires 48 hours. They are going to have to go through what Tesla endured...except they'll be competing with Tesla now. Tesla had no competition as they matured. Most of these auto companies financed their debt using money owed to them for auto loans. In a few years all those cars are going to plummet in value. Owners may start defaulting on the loans. They won't be able to sell ICE vehicles at all in many locations, and they won't be able to make enough EVs profitably to replace them. Tesla are making mountains of batteries and they're still battery constrained. They've told their battery suppliers that they'll purchase 100% of what they can produce so long as it is reasonably priced and of sufficient quality. Almost every vehicle they produce is already sold. I believe that their vehicles are delivered less than 2 weeks from production. Ford is more like 35 days. By 2025 Tesla will likely produce more vehicles than Ford, by 2030(probably sooner) they'll produce more than GM.

Date: October 13, 2021 10:39AM
ztirffritz
By 2025 Tesla will likely produce more vehicles than Ford, by 2030(probably sooner) they'll produce more than GM.

Growing into their CURRENT valuation?

Date: October 13, 2021 11:16AM
mattkime
ztirffritz
By 2025 Tesla will likely produce more vehicles than Ford, by 2030(probably sooner) they'll produce more than GM.

Tesla are an energy company that makes cars. Currently Tesla make the lion's share of EVs in the world and their competition is ill equipped to ramp production to compete. ICE vehicles are banned in most of Europe by 2030. In parts of Scandinavia EVs are already about 75% of the market. Legacy auto companies can't dispose of ICE assets and develop EV assets fast enough without going broke. The cars are funding Tesla's energy ambitions. Tesla are already worth more than all the other major auto companies combined, but they also have a very different product and business model. They are the car manufacturer and fueling station provider combined, as well as an industrial electrical grid supplier, residential solar and storage provider...so if you compare them to auto companies they seem grossly over-valued. If you compare them to auto-companies and energy companies...they have lots of runway to grow.

Date: October 13, 2021 01:14PM
mattkime
Carnos Jax
Speedy

Active money managers rarely outperform index funds. Its not a matter of doing a bit of research.

I absolutely agree with you. But that is not what I was saying. I know that even if you do your research, the vast majority of companies one researches turn out to be duds (in terms of market beating expectations). You have to be lucky to stumble into a company that turns out to be a gold mine (like we did with Tesla). Proper and thorough research can tell you the kind of returns to expect out of a company. But that kind of research takes so much time on any particular company. Hence why even the pros can’t beat the market in general, they just don’t have time. It took my brother 15 years of part time stock analysis before finding a company like Tesla. He did stock analysis for the fun of it. Otherwise he said it is not worth the time, and it would be best to just have left our money in an index fund (which of course is what we did until Tesla came along).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2021 04:58PM by Carnos Jax.
Date: October 13, 2021 01:29PM
mattkime
ztirffritz

Very common mistake that most people make in assuming Tesla is just an automotive company. They are not an automotive company at all. They’re a conglomerate that among other things producers cars. Much the same reason that Apple ditched ‘computer’ from its name many years ago. Basically Tesla is an advanced AI based robotics and energy company.
Date: October 13, 2021 01:51PM
....if he argues with his wife.....is it.....cramer vs. cramer......???

Date: October 13, 2021 03:06PM
This is deviating from Jim Cramer entirely, but this video captures alot of what is holding back Tesla's competition. Essentially, legacy auto companies have a ball and chain holding them back. They need to carry ICE forward despite knowing it's a dead end. They can't devote their resources and assets to EVs at 100%. Tesla have nothing holding them back and are accelerating away from the competition. Ford/GM are 5 years minimum behind where Tesla are now. In 5 years they'll by 6 or 7 years behind.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 13, 2021 04:16PM
ztirffritz
This is deviating from Jim Cramer entirely, but this video captures alot of what is holding back Tesla's competition. Essentially, legacy auto companies have a ball and chain holding them back. They need to carry ICE forward despite knowing it's a dead end. They can't devote their resources and assets to EVs at 100%. Tesla have nothing holding them back and are accelerating away from the competition. Ford/GM are 5 years minimum behind where Tesla are now. In 5 years they'll by 6 or 7 years behind.

[youtu.be]

I thought what holds the old timey car makers back is the pensions from back in the day?
Once the old pensions age out/die off, the old line makers can be more cost efficient.
==
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 13, 2021 04:44PM
Any discounting of continued revenue streams from legacy car makers is very short sighted. They have 100s of millions of cars on the road that still need parts. And for segments of the industry, like trucks and fleet vehicles, they still own that market and will for decades to come.

Although there will be more competition with the advent of direct sales (the biggest advantage newer makers have, imo), the dealer networks also are tough to disrupt.

Honestly, what I see is a huge secondary (and tertiary) market emerging for parts for ice vehicles when the big makers stop producing those parts.
Date: October 13, 2021 06:39PM
Those vehicles are going to be buying gasoline in 1gal cans from the hardware store for $20/gal in 15 years.

mrbigstuff
Any discounting of continued revenue streams from legacy car makers is very short sighted. They have 100s of millions of cars on the road that still need parts. And for segments of the industry, like trucks and fleet vehicles, they still own that market and will for decades to come.

Although there will be more competition with the advent of direct sales (the biggest advantage newer makers have, imo), the dealer networks also are tough to disrupt.

Honestly, what I see is a huge secondary (and tertiary) market emerging for parts for ice vehicles when the big makers stop producing those parts.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 13, 2021 08:37PM
ztirffritz
Those vehicles are going to be buying gasoline in 1gal cans from the hardware store for $20/gal in 15 years.

mrbigstuff

Not at all. And I'm sure you know that.
Date: October 14, 2021 09:49AM
I'm not exaggerating. In 5 years Tesla will be the largest domestic auto-company. They'll likely be the largest in Europe as well, and a significant player in China. Gas stations don't make money selling gas. They make money from selling stuff in the attached convenience store. Why accept all the risk of selling gas if there's no reward?!?! They'll start ripping out gas pumps and replacing them with chargers, or just go out of business entirely. Getting gas will become a chore, kind of like how charging an EV is now. That's going to change very quickly though. Initially the price of gas will plummet as supply drowns demand, but as refineries close supply will dry up and prices will go through the roof. Why get an ICE vehicle if it costs more to operate, costs more to buy, and is a pain to fuel? You'd be a fool to buy an ICE vehicle in the next 5 years because it would make a bad investment into a terrible investment.

mrbigstuff
ztirffritz

mrbigstuff

Not at all. And I'm sure you know that.

Date: October 14, 2021 10:25AM
Telsa used cars selling for more than new.
[electrek.co]

Tesla cars are not in limited supply because of chip shortage. It's been a struggle, but they've actually hit production records throughout the entire pandemic. They just simply can't make enough vehicles. Tesla Shanghai is producing 1600 ModelY units/day, and around 600-800 M3 units daily. Fremont is producing less, but it's still significant. Tesla's production ramp has been impressive. Just look at this chart. That's hard to do for something the size of a car. As Tesla Berlin and Tesla Austin come online the trend will continue.

[www.statista.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020