Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple sends invites for Oct. 18 launch event, where new MacBooks are expected
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 12, 2021 11:17AM
Apple sends invites for Oct. 18 launch event, where new MacBooks are expected

Apple announced on Tuesday that it plans to hold a launch event on Oct. 18, where the company could announce new MacBook laptops and AirPods headphones.

The event was announced in invites to media and a tweet from Apple marketing senior vice president Greg Joswiak with the slogan “unleashed.”

AirPods and Apple’s most expensive and largest MacBooks are due for a revision, as the most recent models for both products were released in 2019.

The launch will be streamed on Apple’s website, as the company has held virtual launch events since the start of the pandemic in 2020. Apple typically launches new products ahead of the holiday shopping season, Apple’s busiest time of the year for sales.

Apple has been updating its line of laptops and desktops running the MacOS operating system to run on chips it designs, instead of using processors made by Intel. So far, Apple has released MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini and iMac computers using its chips.

But Apple has not yet updated its most powerful desktop computers to use its own chips, including its Mac Pro desktop and larger MacBook Pro laptops. Last month, Apple announced new iPhone and Apple Watch models.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple sends invites for Oct. 18 launch event, where new MacBooks are expected
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 12, 2021 11:23AM
Re: Apple sends invites for Oct. 18 launch event, where new MacBooks are expected
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 12, 2021 12:35PM
The line forms behind me, thanks.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 12, 2021 01:41PM
prepare for the "underwhelmers" en masse.

M1 was evolution/revolutionary but *still* wasn't enough.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 12, 2021 02:24PM
jdc

The initial reaction was skeptical, but it seems that has developed to moderate enthusiasm.
Date: October 12, 2021 03:03PM
Acer
The initial reaction was skeptical, but it seems that has developed to moderate enthusiasm.

Im not sure what that means.

speed benchmarks and battery tests were amazing from day one. but only 2 ports, no new design, only one external screen = underwhelmed

Even a year later windows based laptops in the category cant keep up with the M1 chip on many tasks.

New surface that just came out is impressive, better functionality with the touch screen, fast 120 MHz display, larger screen. but still 2/3 the performance. takes an even bigger hit running battery only. any sort of video work chokes it.

Will have to see what happens next week...

Posted by: SteveO
Date: October 12, 2021 05:37PM
Color me enthused. This mid-'10 MBP has served me well for these 11 years, my longest-in-service-ever Mac. It really is amazing how this machine still works fine for pretty much all I want to do — all these years later.

But I also know it's living on borrowed time..so...bring on the new hardware!
Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 12, 2021 05:40PM
Acer
jdc

I haven’t thought of the word droll in years. :-)

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2021 05:42PM by Ammo.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 12, 2021 07:15PM

Ain't that the truth.

I'm always excited when Apple has a new Event/Keynote, even if there's nothing crying for my money.

I do wish they'd adopt differing hand-positioning postures, but that's just me.

I'm wondering if we won't see larger iMacs.

The rumor mills have been hinting pretty strongly at 30-32" iMacs, so that lessens the odds that we'll see one, but that would really grab my attention by the wallet.

The 'smaller' iMac went from 21" to 24", so I'm a little hopeful.

But I'll have a monster breakfast burrito, a lovely beverage, and the Event from apple.com sans any kibitzing, and gonna have a good time.

[www.youtube.com]

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 12, 2021 08:06PM
RAMd®d

Ain't that the truth.

I'm always excited when Apple has a new Event/Keynote, even if there's nothing crying for my money.

I do wish they'd adopt differing hand-positioning postures, but that's just me.

I'm wondering if we won't see larger iMacs.

The rumor mills have been hinting pretty strongly at 30-32" iMacs, so that lessens the odds that we'll see one, but that would really grab my attention by the wallet.

The 'smaller' iMac went from 21" to 24", so I'm a little hopeful.

But I'll have a monster breakfast burrito, a lovely beverage, and the Event from apple.com sans any kibitzing, and gonna have a good time.

[www.youtube.com]

No rumors of new iMacs. I've used one of the M1 with 4.5k screen. It's a sweet machine.

I think Apple is smart. Lowest-end first: MBA, MBA with fan, mini, basic iMac. Next: True Pro Laptops. Next year, iMac Pro and Mac Pro. They already are having a massive year. And the Intel iMacs and Mac Pros are the least differential from the M1 chip. Might have to wait for a true M2 chip to get a big speed jump (as opposed to the M1X, basically the iPad version of the M1 with same basic CPU tech plus more GPUs).
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 12, 2021 09:08PM
Is there any Intel laptop that, compared with the M1 MacBooks, has both (a) comparable power, and (b) comparable battery life? Yes, I've seen laptops with comparable power, but IIRC, battery life is much lower.

jdc
Acer

speed benchmarks and battery tests were amazing from day one. but only 2 ports, no new design, only one external screen = underwhelmed

Even a year later windows based laptops in the category cant keep up with the M1 chip on many tasks.

New surface that just came out is impressive, better functionality with the touch screen, fast 120 MHz display, larger screen. but still 2/3 the performance. takes an even bigger hit running battery only. any sort of video work chokes it.

Posted by: sekker
Date: October 13, 2021 07:49AM
I’m running some comparisons with the 2019 Intel Octacore Mac laptop with 64GB RAM and Apple’s fast SSD.

The M1 mini smokes it.

The CPU advances from Intel the last two years have been modest

Maybe a high-end AMD running windows 10 will start competing in power to the M1 machines. Maybe.

Some gaming GPUs will likely also beat the M1.

But all examples where performance starts to compete will be far less battery life.

Even the latest Microsoft surface machines - noted to be mid-range gaming devices - come with less than 4 hours of battery life.

anonymouse1
Is there any Intel laptop that, compared with the M1 MacBooks, has both (a) comparable power, and (b) comparable battery life? Yes, I've seen laptops with comparable power, but IIRC, battery life is much lower.

jdc
Acer

Posted by: rz
Date: October 13, 2021 08:17AM
If they release more laptops and not a bigger iMac, my wife will be pissed.
Date: October 13, 2021 10:57AM
rz
If they release more laptops and not a bigger iMac, my wife will be pissed.

You should vacate the house then. Early 2022 is the odds on favorite

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020