advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Crazy Bridges - Don't Look Down
Posted by: Plant Goddess
Date: October 13, 2021 01:26AM
Some of these bridges are not for the faint of heart especially if you have tendencies toward acrophobia.
[www.history-a2z.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Crazy Bridges - Don't Look Down
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 13, 2021 09:17AM
Here in town, one of the interstates goes UNDER two sets of railroad tracks. Driving my daughter one day, she tells me its stressing her out being under the train....

I used to go running along train tracks in my twenties, and would cross RR bridges.

As we passed under the next one, I told her. "Look up at the train, the bridge surface is a metal grate, so you can see thru it and see the BOTTOM of the train!"

After we passed, she said, "OMG, I just had an existential crisis!"

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: October 13, 2021 09:55AM
An offshoot of the San Francisco Suicide Club was the Bridge Club. Participants were invited to reimagine large urban structures (such as the Golden Gate and San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridges) as playground equipment.

One night, after seeing Animal House with some friends and housemates, I was informed that the plan was not to go straight home. Instead, we climbed up the SF-tower of the SF-Oakland Bridge. At the time, it wasn't that hard to get past a small fence (trespassing, of course) to get to the base of the tower.

Those large, crossing Xs that provide integrity to the bridge have built-in, diagonal ladders for the workers. Once on the base, it's a simple matter to climb. At a certain height, it is easy (and in fact, relatively safe) to climb inside the vertical, square, columns that consist of regular, small Xs for strength. The structure of those vertical columns created ladders of a sort.

There was a horizontal walkway tucked in below the upper deck (and above the cars and lower deck). The roadway also has a break under that walkway (I assume, to allow for expansion of the roadway). That break allowed us to look up at the stars. The view would frequently (and momentarily) be blocked by the underside of a car driving about 60 mph a few feet from one's eyes.

Some members of our group went up to the top that evening. I was happy to hang out at the halfway point and observe. Don't think I'd do it today, and it is a cherished memory.

Todd's ou-sont-les-ponts-d'antan keyboard
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 13, 2021 10:21AM
The craziest things we do often become our greatest memories.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 13, 2021 12:14PM
mikebw

"Did I ever tell you about the time?...."
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 13, 2021 12:49PM
mikebw

Assuming we live to tell the tale, of course, otherwise it becomes a “seemed like a good idea at the time,” for the survivors telling of your demise. smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 13, 2021 01:35PM
I’ve been to the Royal Gorge in the article. It was very impressive.
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: October 13, 2021 02:21PM
The Bixby Bridge always get me...after I went over it the first time, I get back home on the East Coast only to find that the Washington Post had just done a big article about it. It mentioned all the cars that have crashed off the bridge...all the cars remain!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 13, 2021 02:32PM
I get nervous on those single pylon exit ramps. There's one in Baltimore off of 695 (?) that is nerve wracking for people like me who have acrophobia. Otherwise, I have no problem with high bridges as long as I can't see over the side.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 13, 2021 04:01PM
Pretty sure the Deception Pass bridge in Washington is an old CCC project from the '30s. It feels REALLY narrow.

Great shrimping in the waters below though.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2021 04:03PM by Racer X.
Posted by: jh
Date: October 13, 2021 10:28PM
rgG
mikebw

Assuming we live to tell the tale, of course, otherwise it becomes a “seemed like a good idea at the time,” for the survivors telling of your demise. smiling smiley

Posted by: testcase
Date: October 14, 2021 01:58AM
Hey, hold my beer and watch this.......... smiley-shocked003
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 14, 2021 09:40AM
I thought that Crazy Bridges was Beau and Jeff's brother.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020