advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Daughter taking PSAT today...
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 13, 2021 08:03AM
She just sent us a pic of the door to the room they are being held in...

Followed by this exchange with one of her classmates as they entered:

Teacher:How’s everyone’s day
Grace:Bad
Teacher:Well it’s about to get much worse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2021 08:05AM by bazookaman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Daughter taking PSAT today...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 13, 2021 08:07AM
Son is also doing that today.

Way to go for student encouragement!
Posted by: robfilms
Date: October 13, 2021 09:11AM
psat exams are a pita.

sat exams are only worse.

but there is an upside.

sat exams can be taken more than once.

sat prep courses generally work to add a few points to both parts.

there truly is a college for every student, every kind of learner.

when my daughters took the college boards, they would come back and i always made sure there was some kind of fabulous, outrageous dessert they could enjoy.

i also had a tape measure.

i measured their height.

i did let them know that they were the same height as when they left the apartment to take the test, so that no matter what the results of the exams they were not beaten down, not even an inch!

they often gave me that, "really, dad?" smile.

all good.

rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2021 09:26AM by robfilms.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 13, 2021 09:18AM
Well... in many countries the standardized tests drive your entire future.

But... My (high) PSAT scores set me on a pretty awesome educational arc, opened the door for research opportunities during High School, and scholarships, and my subsequent SAT scores helped with my admission to my second choice university, where I learned a lot, met my wife, and started my future life.

So no pressure, kids !
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 13, 2021 10:14AM
I'm giving the PSAT to students today. Watching reluctant kids take a test is so much fun.

Florida requires all sophomores to take the test. It has no bearing on their grades, graduation, or anything else. Teachers don't see the results. The state is just data mining and sells results to marketers. Complete waste of time that has been going on for decades

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 13, 2021 10:47AM
bazookaman
She just sent us a pic of the door to the room they are being held in...

So where is your daughter doing her time?

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 13, 2021 10:55AM
Add 1 more for the PSAT. I used to call him Little Zealand. He's 6'2" now...
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 13, 2021 11:43AM
Ombligo
I'm giving the PSAT to students today. Watching reluctant kids take a test is so much fun.

Florida requires all sophomores to take the test. It has no bearing on their grades, graduation, or anything else. Teachers don't see the results. The state is just data mining and sells results to marketers. Complete waste of time that has been going on for decades

What happens if a sophomore refuses to sit for the test?

It is what it is.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 13, 2021 11:47AM
Ombligo
I'm giving the PSAT to students today. Watching reluctant kids take a test is so much fun....Complete waste of time that has been going on for decades

FWIW, the National Merit scholarship program is based on the PSAT test. Free ride to a lot of state schools. Also used in many state university high school student programs (like the NSF summer research program I attended, that drove most of my career arc)

Of course the primary 'skill' that is being tested is the ability to take standardized tests. I had a lot of unplanned training in that in Elementary school, having gone from rated "retarded" to rated "genius" in the middle of third grade. When I got glasses.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 13, 2021 12:12PM
cbelt3
Of course the primary 'skill' that is being tested is the ability to take standardized tests. I had a lot of unplanned training in that in Elementary school, having gone from rated "retarded" to rated "genius" in the middle of third grade. When I got glasses.

Those must have been some glasses! smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Posted by: rz
Date: October 13, 2021 12:40PM
cbelt3

FWIW, the National Merit scholarship program is based on the PSAT test. Free ride to a lot of state schools.

Not just state schools. My niece lived in WV and was a National Merit finalist. She got a free ride to OU (Oklahoma). Majored in Biomedical Engineering. Graduated with a 4.0 GPA. She's in law school now at Emory. She says law school is "easy" compared to her undergrad work...
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 13, 2021 12:46PM
I actually remember taking the PSAT many decades ago. Ugh.
Standardized tests are awful. barf smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 13, 2021 12:46PM
I went to a rural high school at which 20% dropped out at age 16 to go work on the farm. The school budget was tight, and one way they saved was by having no air conditioning. One of my college profs laughed and pointed at me when he found out which high school I went to. I’m pretty sure my PSAT score would have met that one additional point I needed, had I gone anywhere else for my education. It could have changed my life, as it did for cbelt3, but then I wouldn’t have met Mrs Pupp - I guess it all worked out for the best, after all.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 13, 2021 01:49PM
.....what about your son (or sun)....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 13, 2021 03:11PM
Good luck to all who celebrate!
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 13, 2021 03:47PM
California State University and University of California no longer use SAT for admission or scholarship purposes.

CSU eliminated their use during the Covid Crunch, and they have now extended that through 2023. UC is currently test blind. Scores are also no longer required when applying for certain UC scholarships.

UC expects to have a "new" standardized exam for prospective students by 2025. Unfortunately, for students it just increases costs for them to apply to a UC. They will likely still have to take a SAT or ACT if they apply to any other schools.

CSU will likely wait and see what trouble UC gets into before making any final decisions about what happens after 2023. Some, like CalPoly SLO, already consider additional criteria beyond SAT or ACT. Others will have to make some changes to their algorithms to give greater weight to factors other than test scores.

Supposedly the biggest obstacle to completely removing the exams was that they tended to act as placement tests for incoming freshmen in Math and English (though the exams were really never designed with that in mind).
Date: October 13, 2021 04:20PM
....the cat in the PSAT......???

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 13, 2021 05:34PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Ombligo

What happens if a sophomore refuses to sit for the test?

Not a thing. But those who would refuse will sit for it just to get nap time as we are not allowed to interfere with test-takers, which includes waking them up.

I'm getting happier by the day that my retirement starts on Friday.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 13, 2021 08:49PM
I actually remember my PSAT score because it greatly irritated a classmate who was sitting a row away in our chemistry class when the results were handed out because I outscored him by several points. I went on to become a truck driver and he went on to become chief justice of our state supreme court.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 13, 2021 09:41PM
right now, we need truck drivers FAR more.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: October 14, 2021 08:06PM
....what....the......truck......???

Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 15, 2021 05:11AM
I have no recollection of taking the PSAT at all. I vividly remember the SAT. B/c it was on a weekend, and we had to go to the school and take it in the cafeteria. But the PSAT? Nada. I mean, I knew it existed. I just literally cannot remember anything about it.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 15, 2021 09:24AM
bazookaman
I have no recollection of taking the PSAT at all. I vividly remember the SAT. B/c it was on a weekend, and we had to go to the school and take it in the cafeteria. But the PSAT? Nada. I mean, I knew it existed. I just literally cannot remember anything about it.

It’s only memorable because it is also the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020