advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Refirgerator running but not cooling-- who knows about this stuff?
Posted by: ho'ard
Date: March 19, 2007 10:13PM
One of my tenant's refrigerators stopped cooling, but the motor still runs.
Is this likely an easy fix?
Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Refirgerator running but not cooling-- who knows about this stuff?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 19, 2007 10:21PM
My first guess would be they poked a hole in a cooling line while chipping away at ice buildup. If this is the cause a repair person might be able to plug the hole, evacuate the system, and put a new charge in. Maybe $150 or $200.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: March 19, 2007 10:32PM
Compressor running and not cooling is a sign of refrigerant leak so you've already killed off
as much of the ozone layer as a small Chinese moped, and fixing an old fridge easy or not
is not a DIY project unless you understand the process and are licensed to buy ozone killing refrigerant.

It's time to buy a new fridge (unless it is already a high efficiency one) for the tenant (if the lease specifies it's provided )
or tell them to buck up because that old current sucker is using more energy then is reasonable in this day and age

Conservation isn't just about not driving cars you know - old inefficient electrical appliances add a drain too

Posted by: Microman
Date: March 19, 2007 10:46PM
I asked the same question about a month ago. Son moved his refrigerator out of my garage, after storing it for 3 years. Would not get cold.

Found a local used fridge on Craigslit for $75 and old guy would buy and sell, and delivered it to the ground floor for $25. Has been running well since.

Oh, and the guy took the old one away....
Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: March 19, 2007 10:49PM
No cooling at all? It's probably dead.

Some cooling? Time to pull it out and clean out all the dust bunnies as they multiply rather quickly.

In terms of repair- unfortunately most modern appliances aren't built to be repaired. When they break it is often cheaper to buy new than repair. Good news is that used fridges go for cheap on craigslist.

BT

Signed parental releases are on file for all tattooed minors.
Posted by: h'
Date: March 19, 2007 11:12PM
Bought it at a used appliance store with 90 day guarantee. The guy seemed nice.
There didn't seem to be any undue trauma getting it up the stairs.
It ran fine for about 5 weeks and suddenly stopped cooling.
Will see what he says tomorrow but I'm hoping it's an easy fix because there's noone around to help get anything up and down stairs., and I'm in a back crisis. The guy takes stuff like this apart and puts it back together. He's typically in the middle of re-spooling motors and such in the shop.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 20, 2007 12:00PM
Is the freezer working? Many fridges cool the main compartment by blowing cold air from the freezer to the main compartment. You'll need to provide much more data before anybody can help you with this problem. Before you go any further, run through the diagnostics on this site: [fixitnow.com] , then get back to us. Otherwise, you're just stabbing in the dark.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: March 20, 2007 02:24PM
I have no intent if trying to fix it myself.
The guy came, took some stuff apart and said he had to come back with a new compressor tomorrow.
Wish I had a small extra frige to give my tenant while this one's down.
Date: March 20, 2007 02:28PM
Baby Tats
No cooling at all? It's probably dead.

Some cooling? Time to pull it out and clean out all the dust bunnies as they multiply rather quickly.

In terms of repair- unfortunately most modern appliances aren't built to be repaired. When they break it is often cheaper to buy new than repair. Good news is that used fridges go for cheap on craigslist.

Used friges go for cheap at this guy's shop, too.
I paid $250 for a reasonably matching GE frige and gas stove. They do a nice job of cleaning them up-- husband and wife business. There's a great used furniture shop closeby with the same operational model . . husband gets the stuff, wife puts the sparkle on it.
Would have liked to get more mileage out of it (not much confidence in it after this, even if the repair's successful) but it's not the end of the world. Would probably opt for a Home Depot special if this one can't be fixed, or craps out again after the 90 days.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 20, 2007 05:02PM
ho'ard
Used friges go for cheap at this guy's shop, too.
I paid $250 for a reasonably matching GE frige and gas stove. They do a nice job of cleaning them up-- husband and wife business. There's a great used furniture shop closeby with the same operational model . . husband gets the stuff, wife puts the sparkle on it.
Would have liked to get more mileage out of it (not much confidence in it after this, even if the repair's successful) but it's not the end of the world. Would probably opt for a Home Depot special if this one can't be fixed, or craps out again after the 90 days.

I thought you were one of those "environmentally aware" folks. Buying an old beater fridge is not only an economically poor proposition if you are paying the electric bills, but it is one of those small acts that continues us on our way to global warming ruin, since refrigerators are one of the major household energy consumers. Old fridges use vastly more energy than newer ones, as do many of those "home depot specials". A big problem is that in many cases landlords provide the fridge and the tenants pay the electric bills, resulting in incentives to pollute. There are some local landlords and tenants I know who have come to an agreement to deal with this issue by an agreed electric bill offset provided to the landlord in exchange for getting an efficient fridge. Perhaps you should try this.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2007 05:03PM by davester.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020