advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
No more ports in the storm, or is a future storm brewing? Apple Watch 7 ditches...
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 13, 2021 05:08PM
... the mysterious 6-pin 'diagnostic' port.

Technically could be used to make the watch band an external battery - except Apple said 'NO SOUP FOR YOU!' and banned it and all other third-party hacks.

What's worse, this COULD be the test-bed for a 'portless' iPhone - which I personally think is very likely. Apple is pissed the EU is 'mandating' USB-C. Instead, I can see Apple eliminating ANY port and ONLY allowing proprietary 'Magsafe' charging instead of the proprietary lightning port. Which is worse for consumers - a cheap wire, or an expensive wireless cable?

[www.theverge.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: No more ports in the storm, or is a future storm brewing? Apple Watch 7 ditches...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 13, 2021 09:39PM
sekker
....Which is worse for consumers - a cheap wire, or an expensive wireless cable?
IMHO getting rid of the Apple Lightning cables which ALWAYS wear out in less than 6 months is a good thing. However, those of you with plug in Carplay will have to buy an adapter to make your vehicle radio work.
Re: No more ports in the storm, or is a future storm brewing? Apple Watch 7 ditches...
Posted by: Sam3
Date: October 14, 2021 04:19AM
cbelt3
sekker
....Which is worse for consumers - a cheap wire, or an expensive wireless cable?
IMHO getting rid of the Apple Lightning cables which ALWAYS wear out in less than 6 months is a good thing. However, those of you with plug in Carplay will have to buy an adapter to make your vehicle radio work.

I've never had a lightning port wear out. Filled with gunk? Sure. Took a while to clean? Yep. But once cleaned it worked fine again.

I know the portliest iPhone was always Jony Ive's dream, but I'm not sure that Apple will gather, as they are highlighting the the cinema capabilities of the new iPhone Pro's. The filming creatives will be unable to use external microphones and other accessories if the lightning port goes away.

Apple could possibly retain the lightning port, or go USB-C, on the iPhone Pro, and go portless on the regular iPhones, however.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 14, 2021 09:00AM
cbelt3
IMHO getting rid of the Apple Lightning cables which ALWAYS wear out in less than 6 months is a good thing.

What on Earth are you doing to your cables?

Mine wear out, but after a couple years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020