advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
WooHoo! gas grill refurb hacks!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 13, 2021 07:05PM
So, We got a free "stainless" Lowes house brand 4 burner grill, plus side burner from my partner's then boss.

We have run it HARD.

Well, I have gone through the heat deflector plates, and replaced them with some stainless ones from eBay. We went through the original porcelain over iron grates, then another set of plain iron. Well, I found out that the Weber E310 or maybe the E320 has essentially the same size grates. Got some generic stainless grates, and after 5 minutes with a cut off wheel on my Dremel, I trimmed the side to side rods on one to flush, about a 1/3", and they fit beautifully. Took longer to get the Dremel than to make the cuts.

The bottom cheap stamped steel removable tray just disintegrated when I moved it 2 weeks ago. I took the measurements, thought a moment, then went to double check. Yup, 2/3 sheet pan is a perfect fit. Got a Vollrath Amazon Warehouse scratch and dent pan for $15 shipped, and it slid right in. Really thick, I think 13 gauge aluminum. I already had a 3/4 sheet pan, but its about an inch larger on each side. 2/3 or 3/4 are the biggest pans that will fit a standard home oven FWIW.

Now it is ready to go, and all replacement parts should outlast the steel tube frame. If the burners ever go, they are under $30 a set for stainless.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: WooHoo! gas grill refurb hacks!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 13, 2021 07:41PM
I may be stealing that aluminum pan cheat for my Camp Chef grill which has totally disintegrated. May take two.
Date: October 13, 2021 07:53PM
Check dimensions, a full sheet pan might work. 18"x26" Or if its smaller, you could cut one down on 2 sides and fold a new lip.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 13, 2021 08:55PM
this_thread_is_useless_without_pics
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 13, 2021 09:34PM
Nice ! I've already replaced the 'heat tents' on my grill with the stainless online versions, and stainless burners are standing by waiting for the old ones to burn out. My bottom tray is actual stainless with a nice cutout for the drip tray.

It gets power washed at least once a year to remove all gunk. The stainless components and cast iron grill make for a significant lack of rust. It's very nice.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 14, 2021 10:51AM
I need to take my grill apart and do some "rehab work" on it... I know one of the burners is kaput (but, I'm a single guy, and just use the other two, which is one more than I really need). And I know that pan is in rough shape.
It's a Costco grill, over 25 years old... I got it second-hand from a buddy who was too lazy to rehab it. I put $100 (10 years ago) into new burners, new grills, and new deflectors... and now it's starting to show it's age again.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Spiff
Date: October 14, 2021 12:48PM
My grill is about 13 years old. It’s getting holes in it everywhere. Charbroil professional 4 burner from Lowe’s. I thinks it’s on its last legs. Has had the burners changed 3 times, heat shields twice. The pan at the bottom is suspended by 8 metal tabs. Only 2 are left. I’ve gone through 3 sets of grill plates as well. I think I’m done with this one. When something else breaks, I’m going for a Weber stainless natural gas grill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2021 12:48PM by Spiff.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 14, 2021 08:10PM
My propane-powered Kenmore is 30 years old and going strong. I use it about twice a week year around; just tonight made hamburgers.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: October 16, 2021 08:29PM
Spiff
My grill is about 13 years old. It’s getting holes in it everywhere. Charbroil professional 4 burner from Lowe’s. I thinks it’s on its last legs. Has had the burners changed 3 times, heat shields twice. The pan at the bottom is suspended by 8 metal tabs. Only 2 are left. I’ve gone through 3 sets of grill plates as well. I think I’m done with this one. When something else breaks, I’m going for a Weber stainless natural gas grill.

L brackets and stainless steel pop rivets will fix those tabs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2021 08:31PM by Racer X.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020