advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Please help!! Changing my website's A-records
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: October 16, 2021 08:49AM
This is long, but please help if you can. I'm at my wit's end.

In order to keep my blood pressure from exploding, I won't detail the exchanges I had yesterday with the folks at MacHighway. Trust me when I tell you that the exchanges were not productive. MacHighway hosts my business website. In a nutshell, for some reason (likely a serious glitch when they were moving data servers) what displays now when one visits the site is a generic index from a very old, retired site I had on MacHighway nearly 10 years ago. Really old, outdated files that should never be seen by clients.

I found out about this error when I received an alert email from Adobe Portfolio, the platform on which I created the newer, up-to-date site. The Adobe email instructed me to go into my web host cpanel and change the following values in order to re-connect the website files to MacHighway.

When I log into my cpanel, I'm presented with a much longer list of A-records.

So...which four of the 12 A-records should I change? Or, am I adding new records? Yes, MacHighway should be helping me with this. And no, they will not. Crazy, I know. But there's zero support available via online chat or phone, and their email exchanges are spectacularly vague boilerplate language that doesn't help with specifics like this.

Needless to say, as soon as the website is displaying properly again I'll be looking for 1) a different website host and 2) instructions as to how to move my site from MacHighway to the new host.

But first things first. Thank you!!!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Please help!! Changing my website's A-records
Date: October 16, 2021 09:03AM
Also, here's the full instructions from the Adobe Portfolio site. Did I mention that there is zero phone support available for Adobe Portfolio?

[help.myportfolio.com]
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 16, 2021 09:06AM
My first guess was only jtrp.net. and www.jtrp.net as those are the two URLS that deal with serving up your site.

This page kind of confirms that thought:

[kb.porkbun.com]

Going down the list, things that would not load from adobe:

mail = your email
localhost would not apply
ftp = uploading files directly to your site, which you dont appear to be doing
cpanel = for managing your email accounts and other web hosting settings
whm = what your hosts uses to setup your account
the others pretty self explanatory...not loading from adobe

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: October 16, 2021 09:10AM
And finally, if the answer is ADDING a record vs. changing it, here's what I'm presented with on the cpanel. I'm further confused because the fields don't align with the Adobe Portfolio instructions. For example, is "name" either the @ symbol or www? What do I enter for TTL?

Date: October 16, 2021 09:16AM
Markintosh
My first guess was only jtrp.net. and www.jtrp.net as those are the two URLS that deal with serving up your site.

[kb.porkbun.com]

mail = your email

Thank you so much! This whole process is reducing a grown-up to frustrated tears. I'm going to carefully read the link you cited and give it a try. What's frustrating is that it does take time for the results to either work properly or not, so I may not know if I've succeeded.
Date: October 16, 2021 09:22AM
prymsnap
Markintosh

[kb.porkbun.com]

mail = your email

The Porkbun site mentions a "host" field. The cpanel on the MacHighway site doesn't have a "host" field but it does have a "name" field. Is that the same thing?
Date: October 16, 2021 09:24AM
I don't think you want to Add. Back up a step and click manage and see what your existing records already have. For my host, they are 14400...but I have no idea for MacHighway. See what yours say. Take a screenshot of what is there, change it for just the two i mentioned. See what happens. You can change it back...as long as you don't change the cpanel record!

Just taking a moment here to say that people are always suggesting hosting with the little guys...Smaller Orange, MacHighway, etc. I actually like hosting with a bigger outfit like Hostgator, as the support department runs much deeper. They have a a bigger database of answers and more agents that have a ton of experience. Most of your smaller providers are just reselling from the big guys (which is what I do).

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Date: October 16, 2021 09:26AM
prymsnap

The Porkbun site mentions a "host" field. The cpanel on the MacHighway site doesn't have a "host" field but it does have a "name" field. Is that the same thing?

Probably...but no guarantee. See my previous post about just editing the two existing records.

Date: October 16, 2021 09:41AM
Markintosh
I don't think you want to Add. Back up a step and click manage and see what your existing records already have. For my host, they are 14400...but I have no idea for MacHighway. See what yours say. Take a screenshot of what is there, change it for just the two i mentioned. See what happens. You can change it back...as long as you don't change the cpanel record!

Just taking a moment here to say that people are always suggesting hosting with the little guys...Smaller Orange, MacHighway, etc. I actually like hosting with a bigger outfit like Hostgator, as the support department runs much deeper. They have a a bigger database of answers and more agents that have a ton of experience. Most of your smaller providers are just reselling from the big guys (which is what I do).

Thank you, Markintosh. As shown in the earlier screen grab, you'll see there are several with 14400 and a few with 300 under TTL. One of my confusions is that there's no "TTL" mentioned in the Adobe instructions.

And I 100% agree with you about the little-guy web hosts. I'll be looking at the bigger companies when I switch. Back in the stone age, there were very few DIY website options for non-techie Mac users like me, so I opted for iWeb. And because MacHighway was one of the only hosts at the time that marketed heavily to Mac users...and because they claimed to play nicely with iWeb...I took the bait. If I knew then what I know now, I would have made different choices. Alas.
Posted by: clay
Date: October 16, 2021 10:02AM
yes, just edit the two existing records with the new IP addresses. That should do the trick. change any TTL to the lowest value you can to make the change most quickly. You can always change it back to a higher value after changes propagate, but there's no harm in leaving them at a low value in most cases.

I don't know if the small vs large host question is necessarily the most helpful. I've seen small hosts do a fantastic job in their offerings and support. And I've worked with countless large hosts that have terrible products and service. Hosts change over time (and ownership changes happen from time to time that can affect things as well), so you can't expect to stick with a single provider for 10 years and not have any hiccups. I have some pretty strong feelings about hosting (and have experiences with several dozen hosts) and would be happy to talk your ear off about them :-)

I also provide hosting (I'm a small provider!) for several dozen clients and feel like I provide a pretty damn good value for the offerings I provide. Feel free to reach out just to chat or talk options.
Date: October 16, 2021 10:08AM
clay
yes, just edit the two existing records with the new IP addresses. That should do the trick. change any TTL to the lowest value you can to make the change most quickly. You can always change it back to a higher value after changes propagate, but there's no harm in leaving them at a low value in most cases.

Thanks so much! But still no joy. I changed the IP addresses and lowered the TTL value to 300 on each. When I went back to Adobe Portfolio and hit "apply," I got an "oops" message saying the DNS is still not configured correctly. Any other thoughts?
Date: October 16, 2021 10:24AM
clay

I don't know if the small vs large host question is necessarily the most helpful. I've seen small hosts do a fantastic job in their offerings and support. And I've worked with countless large hosts that have terrible products and service. Hosts change over time (and ownership changes happen from time to time that can affect things as well), so you can't expect to stick with a single provider for 10 years and not have any hiccups. I have some pretty strong feelings about hosting (and have experiences with several dozen hosts) and would be happy to talk your ear off about them :-)

This is 100% correct. There's good and bad at both levels.

Date: October 16, 2021 10:42AM
Update: Possible progress. After changing what I believe to be the proper A records within cpanel, then hitting "apply" in Portfolio, I did not get an error message. The old incorrect file index is still showing instead of the proper site, but that's to be expected for a while, correct?
Date: October 16, 2021 10:49AM
plug your website URL into this tool and see whether the A record is pointing to the IP address you expect: [www.whatsmydns.net]

also, purge your DNS cache that Cloudflare has: [1.1.1.1]
and Google: [developers.google.com]
Date: October 16, 2021 11:02AM
clay
plug your website URL into this tool and see whether the A record is pointing to the IP address you expect: [www.whatsmydns.net]

also, purge your DNS cache that Cloudflare has: [1.1.1.1]
and Google: [developers.google.com]

Thank you!

Whatsmydns results: almost all sites show the new address with a few holdouts.
Cloudflare and google flush: did not change results. Still seeing old file index instead of new site.
Date: October 16, 2021 11:03AM
Give it time smiling smiley

Date: October 16, 2021 11:05AM
Markintosh

Patience: the final frontier ;)

I know I must, but it's really hard.
Date: October 16, 2021 11:46AM
prymsnap
Markintosh

Patience: the final frontier ;)

I know I must, but it's really hard.
startrek62
Date: October 16, 2021 12:39PM
SUCCESS! Once again, my fellow Forumites pulled me across the dark valley when others failed. Special thanks to Markintosh and clay. I owe you both a beverage of your choice ;)
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 16, 2021 05:47PM
Go team!
Date: October 16, 2021 06:40PM
mikebw
Go team!

I know, right? I love all you guys and gals.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020