advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Generator dB ratings
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 16, 2021 06:28PM
I got my first generator, Champion Power Equipment 200914 4250-Watt Open Frame Inverter Generator, Dual Fuel Technology

Sure, it's an open frame (louder than closed frame), but an inverter (less loud than a generator).

QUIET TECHNOLOGY: 64 dBA is great for RVs, tailgating, your next project or home backup, with 4250 starting watts and 3500 running watts for up to 22 hours run time on gasoline

So I did my research on dB ratings before I bought this unit and my understanding was that 64 should not be that loud

[ehs.yale.edu]
Business Office 60-65
Normal conversation 60-70

[www.iacacoustics.com]
Conversation in restaurant, office, background music, Air conditioning unit at 100 feet. 60 dB

[www.noisehelp.com]
60 dB conversational speech air conditioner
70 dB shower dishwasher

So this thing seems to be louder than any of these. I pulled an App in my iPhone and if I stand right next to it, it shows 85 dB.

Now sounds attenuates with distance, of course. My question is: where is this 64 dB rating valid? at what distance?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Generator dB ratings
Date: October 16, 2021 06:30PM
I've been running it on propane for about 1.5 hours so far, with 600, 900 and 1400 W load. I need to run it for 5 hours to break it in, then change the oil. Maybe it is more quiet after I break it in? Or that 64 rating was on gasoline, and it's supposed ot be louder on Propane? Thoughts?
Date: October 16, 2021 06:48PM
I found this other one where they do specify the distance

QUIET OPERATION: With an ultra-quiet 53 dBA from 23 feet, enjoy 2500 starting watts, 1850 running watts and up to 11.5 hours run time on gasoline, and 1665 running watts and up to 34 hours on propane

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 16, 2021 07:26PM
One thing I have noticed is air compressors and lawn mowers run a bit quieter when using synthetic oil. Just a thought. After yours is broken in, maybe switch?

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 16, 2021 07:38PM
That is a low end loud generator. You want quiet, get a Honda. I had my camper rented out at a race track and there were over 100 campers there, all using generators as there was no power. The Honda’s were the only quiet ones.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: October 16, 2021 07:44PM
C(-)ris
That is a low end loud generator. You want quiet, get a Honda. I had my camper rented out at a race track and there were over 100 campers there, all using generators as there was no power. The Honda’s were the only quiet ones.

Or the Yamaha. They both make a 3500. And you can run a special crossover control cable and turn 2 into a 7000 watt one, for all practical purposes.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: October 16, 2021 07:54PM
C(-)ris

Sure it is. But a 64 dB rating should not depend on brand, it should be the same regardless if it's made by Honda/Yamaha or Champion, Wen, Harbor Freight, Firman, etc.

64 dB is 64dB, My question is if I got a defective generator or if they are deceiving and measure this spec at some large distance.

I think I will keep it, I can hear it from inside the house but not enough to be disruptive.

I have a 49-53 dB Honda at work, and that is much quieter. but at 3x the cost of this one.
Date: October 16, 2021 07:54PM
Racer X
One thing I have noticed is air compressors and lawn mowers run a bit quieter when using synthetic oil. Just a thought. After yours is broken in, maybe switch?

That is the plan.
Date: October 16, 2021 08:20PM
Thanks everyone old fogey smiley I just went down a rabbit hole looking at big inverter generators cursing smiley

Date: October 16, 2021 08:34PM
Racer X
Thanks everyone old fogey smiley I just went down a rabbit hole looking at big inverter generators cursing smiley

been there, done that, not much to see, is it?
Date: October 16, 2021 08:48PM
space-time
Racer X

been there, done that, not much to see, is it?

There ARE 8700/8500 surge inverters, just not tri fuel. Some are dual gasoline and propane. This one isn't dual fuel [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 16, 2021 08:54PM
The Predator 3500 at Harbor Freight is 57dB...but not dual fuel.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 16, 2021 09:16PM
"Maybe it is more quiet after I break it in?"

I doubt it. The TRUE "champions" (pun intended) of QUIET will be the Honda or Yamaha line inverters. Those two marques will also win the LONGEVITY test as well. old fogey smiley
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 16, 2021 09:19PM
Nothing wrong with housing it in a properly ventilated box type thing with sound absorbing structures in it. Properly lockable to reduce ease of theft.

[bettersoundproofing.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 16, 2021 10:44PM
my understanding was that 64 should not be that loud

Yeah, no.

I don't know that any authority actually checks the accuracy of manufacturers' specs.

As you've found, one of the metrics of sound measurement is distance between the sound source and the measuring device.

A friend had a Generac 22KW generator installed in his home and it had a dB rating of 52 or 59, which made it acceptable by county ordinance.

It.was.loud.

It would be loud at 23'.

It is loud at 50'.

Neighbors aren't happy, but too bad.

But a 64 dB rating should not depend on brand

If you're saying two or more generators (or any noisemaker) all rated at 64dB should sound the same, I'd say you're largely correct.

I've never seen a standard for measuring generator noise.

A manufacturer may say how they measured the sound and they may even be accurate and truthful, but without a standard, it's anybody's guess.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: October 16, 2021 11:15PM
Sound, like light, works on the inverse square law. And a 3dB difference is essentially a 2x in volume. You move from 4 to 8 feet away, you drop 6dB in volume.

Date: October 17, 2021 01:29PM
just finished the 5 hours break in and oil change, not sure how much propane I used, I have a scale but I didn't check the weight before and after.

I should buy 2 more propane tanks. We discussed earlier, and you guys recommended larger tanks (30 lb). I decided to stay with the 20 LB tanks, (which come loaded only with 15 lb from Home Depot). I want wife to be able to plug it in and use it if I am not home, so she would have a hard time moving around 30 LB. Also 20 LB tanks make exchange much easier.

I moved here about 18 months ago and we have a 48 hour outage once, the other outages were 4-6 hours. I want to be able to run fridge, freezer and see lights if we have a 6 hour outage or longer.

I think I will stick with this one for now, 3+ kW should be plenty for what I need.
Date: October 17, 2021 05:00PM
If you have an easy place to get them refilled, you can top off the exchanged tanks and get the extra 20+% propane in them. I only exchange tanks when they are due for inspection, or they look scrody. My local refill place is 2 blocks away from the place I exchange.

Posted by: GGD
Date: October 17, 2021 07:35PM
There's probably some inverse of Murphy's Law that says once you complete all of your emergency preparations, that emergency will never occur again.

My power has been out for a total of less than one hour over the past 24 month, since buying an inverter for emergency power.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 18, 2021 08:56PM
dB readings are totally meaningless without stating the distance. Your generator is totally silent--from a mile away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020