advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ready to pull the trigger on a 2001 Mustang Cobra - CarFax Report Help.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: October 17, 2021 10:23AM
Wife and I have been shopping for an "older" (not vintage) clean Mustang GT Convertible (1999-2004) and found a pretty clean 2001 Cobra Convertible from a retired couple. They are the 3rd owners and have owned it since 2005. They have all the records. However, when I ran the CarFax I found a "Minor Accident" reported around 2009.

Accident reported: minor damage
- Vehicle involved in a rear-end collision with another motor vehicle
- Damage to left rear
- Left rear primarily damaged - Airbags did not deploy

It appears to be the left rear fender and will be calling the seller later and get some more details. Just wondering if we should "walk" no mater how perfect the car is.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ready to pull the trigger on a 2001 Mustang Cobra - CarFax Report Help.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 17, 2021 10:29AM
Ask for photos. Could have been just a scrape. Perhaps a small dent. If it was considered minor, no structural damages. That fact would not scare me away. Hard to find a perfect 20 year old similar car unless you're willing to spend a fair amount.
Date: October 17, 2021 10:48AM
mrbigstuff
Ask for photos. Could have been just a scrape. Perhaps a small dent. If it was considered minor, no structural damages. That fact would not scare me away. Hard to find a perfect 20 year old similar car unless you're willing to spend a fair amount.

Good point. Just wondering if we should keep looking.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 17, 2021 11:13AM
yes, ask for photos. Could be a minor dent.
Date: October 17, 2021 11:14AM
They have all the records.

Or ask for the receipt. Was is $300 repair to $6000 repair?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2021 11:15AM by space-time.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 17, 2021 11:15AM
How much use has the car had since the accident? If not much, there might still be signs of repair work visible under the car. Look inside the wheelwell and the area where the bumpers attach. If it involves a large area, walk away. If the car had little use since the damage happened, and there's no signs of repairs underneath it's probably not structural.

Date: October 17, 2021 11:40AM
lost in space
How much use has the car had since the accident? If not much, there might still be signs of repair work visible under the car. Look inside the wheelwell and the area where the bumpers attach. If it involves a large area, walk away. If the car had little use since the damage happened, and there's no signs of repairs underneath it's probably not structural.

They bought it in 2005 with 15,000 miles on it and the accident reported was in 2009 and currently has 60,000 miles on it. They put a new top on it in 2018 and new top hydraulics in 2020 so they were still investing in the car.
Date: October 17, 2021 11:42AM
Then I am not worried about it. get it.
Date: October 17, 2021 12:43PM
Yeah. They have head it for what? 15 years… figure the report was was 11-12 years ago so probably fine.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 17, 2021 01:30PM
spacescape
lost in space

They bought it in 2005 with 15,000 miles on it and the accident reported was in 2009 and currently has 60,000 miles on it. They put a new top on it in 2018 and new top hydraulics in 2020 so they were still investing in the car.

Sounds pretty safe. Make sure the title is "clean." Some states require vehicles with a certain degree of damage to be tagged as salvage, drastically lowering their resale value and insurability.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 17, 2021 01:33PM
Buy it. Drive it. Enjoy it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: DP
Date: October 17, 2021 02:36PM
What's under the hood? A lot of those were modified...

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Cary
Date: October 17, 2021 03:28PM
I find Carfax to be spectacularly unreliable. They miss major accidents, sometimes.

I wouldn't worry about a minor accident from 12 years ago.
Date: October 17, 2021 05:16PM
DP
What's under the hood? A lot of those were modified...

Does have several bolt-ons...

JLT Carbon Fiber Air Take
Short Throw Shifter
373 Gears
SCT X3 Power Flash Custom Tuner
Steda Underdrive Pulleys
Steeda Stainless Steel X-Pipe Exhaust
New Top (2016)
New Top Lifters (2020)

All the bolt-ons were installed by a professional.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 17, 2021 05:49PM
none of those mods are detrimental, assuming the custom tuner hasn't botched up the fuel and ignition parameters.

the underdrive pulleys are probably to prevent the accessories from spinning too fast from the tall gears and short tires. I have that issue on my GS350 if I run over 100 mph for too long.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: modelamac
Date: October 17, 2021 05:54PM
spacescape
mrbigstuff

If you're otherwise happy, then stay with it. If the airbags dd not deploy, it will not have twisted the frame.

However, if it happened with the current owner, it makes one wonder what else is not disclosed. might be room for a bit more dickering.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2021 05:55PM by modelamac.
Date: October 17, 2021 05:58PM
Racer X
none of those mods are detrimental, assuming the custom tuner hasn't botched up the fuel and ignition parameters.

the underdrive pulleys are probably to prevent the accessories from spinning too fast from the tall gears and short tires. I have that issue on my GS350 if I run over 100 mph for too long.

He said he had all the bolt-ons installed that were available. It's tuned right now so it needs premium (which in 2021 kind of sucks)... I'm sitting here kind of like "GULP, do I need this". My good friend (who is pretty responsible with his money) asked what I was waiting for (for the garage to finish being cleaned out)... He said live for today because no guarantee about tomorrow. It's about $18K and I "think" we are about to the low point for the 2001's as far as depreciation for clean examples. I was looking at 2002 and newer GT's in this particular color (because I had a 2002 Premium GT Coupe in Mineral Gray and we loved that color). Just feel the SVT Cobra "if" taken care of will hold it's value pretty good at this point. The original plan was a 2015 GT or newer with a six speed but prices are crazy right now and really just want a good driver.
Date: October 17, 2021 06:01PM
modelamac
spacescape
mrbigstuff

If you're otherwise happy, then stay with it. If the airbags dd not deploy, it will not have twisted the frame.

However, if it happened with the current owner, it makes one wonder what else is not disclosed. might be room for a bit more dickering.

Sounds like they have tons of records. I'm calling him in a few... Maybe they don't even know it's on the report because it was just something they put though insurance too get fixed. I'm "tempted" to look up my old GT and see if in 2003 or 2004 when I had my bumper repaired (backed into a large rock that I couldn't see) if that would be marked as "minor" on carfax.
Date: October 17, 2021 07:28PM
you could have the custom tuner adjusted to back off and run regular or mid grade. slight performance hit, but shouldn't be a big deal if the car is just for fun.

My Skylark droptop doesn't have much power at all, but it is a sweet ride. That is what counts.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 17, 2021 09:59PM
Our Chevy was tapped from behind at a stoplight. Two tiny dimples, like a really, really small hail strike might leave, were left in the ‘bumper’. We had just bought the car (used) so we decided to have it fixed on the other driver’s insurance. It was $1k. And, no, there wasn’t any hidden damage. Minor accident on the CarFax.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: October 17, 2021 10:04PM
Talked with them tonight and made a deal. They were s very embarrassed because they forgot about that. They were out of state and someone damaged their drivers door in a parking lot. The other person paid for the damage (through their insurance) and had them replace the door. They knocked some money off and we sent them a deposit. We are pretty excited. I know the new eco boost 4 cylinder engine puts out 310 HP but I still can’t wait to have a V8 again with 320 HP and some nice torque.
Date: October 18, 2021 03:18AM
with that 3.73 rear end and a stick, should be fun. congrats.

My partner's Mountaineer has the same (essentially) 3.73 ford 8.8" rear end. If her truck is ever totaled, I want to find a way to modify it and run it in one of my Buicks. Rear disks too.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: October 18, 2021 04:58AM
Sounds like a great car. Enjoy. Be sure and post a picture.
Date: October 18, 2021 07:41AM
I have the rest of the balls rolling now... Contacted my credit union... insurance agent (and Hagerty). I do have a couple of quotes for covered trailers to bring it to me but trying to figure out how to get 4-5 hours away (I'm in MI and the car is in PA) by train, car (one way rental), bus or plain and drive it home. I can also borrow a dually dodge pickup and rent a trailer and tow it home.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 18, 2021 11:18AM
spacescape
I have the rest of the balls rolling now... Contacted my credit union... insurance agent (and Hagerty). I do have a couple of quotes for covered trailers to bring it to me but trying to figure out how to get 4-5 hours away (I'm in MI and the car is in PA) by train, car (one way rental), bus or plain and drive it home. I can also borrow a dually dodge pickup and rent a trailer and tow it home.

Bringing it home yourself may be easier. I know someone who is having issues getting a car trucked to them due to limited drivers.
Date: October 18, 2021 06:25PM
I use Hagerty for my Buicks fwiw.

Date: October 18, 2021 09:19PM
Racer X
I use Hagerty for my Buicks fwiw.

Signed up with Hagerty. It was about $400 less than AAA. The only reason I would leave Hagerty is when my son gets his drivers license (It's about 16-1/2 and starts it next month) if the rates go up or maybe he wants to drive it to prom (GULP). But, I kind of like him not driving a manual right now so he stays away from our fun cars (1971 VW, 2017 Focus ST and now the Mustang).

I have a question about your Hagerty. My parents have four cars with them and she swears that she only pays a few hundred dollars a year to insure her 2012 Mustang Convertible (not a GT but loaded). I'm paying close to $800 for the 2001 Cobra. I'm 46 and she's about 70 so maybe that's why. But, wondering if it's because they have multiple vehicles.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020