advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: Roll Call - who has their credit card out already?
Posted by: SteveO
Date: October 18, 2021 03:25PM
Thanks for the tips, bfd. Although I teach bike safety in local schools for a non-profit, I don't think that gives me an Education discount. I will try to call Apple though and see what they can do.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 18, 2021 03:47PM
SteveO
Any other money-saving tips y'all can recommend for this purchase? Thanks.

If you're considering applying for the Apple Card, consider instead the B&H Payboo card, which rebates the tax, which could potentially be more savings, depending on your state (at least if you're planning to pay off the card with the next bill). I.e. for me, buying through B&H would save 9.5% tax, vs 3% on Apple Card. B&H did appear to have a good selection of the previous model's various configurations on their web site. If you want to split the payments up, then the Apple Card would be more convenient.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 18, 2021 04:24PM
And, as I mentioned before, adorama and others will prob do discounts soon. maybe a couple of weeks?

Alhtough delivery dates are now getting pushed back. first time I looked it was Oct 29, now Im seeing early Nov

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 18, 2021 04:30PM
SteveO
Thanks for the tips, bfd. Although I teach bike safety in local schools for a non-profit, I don't think that gives me an Education discount. I will try to call Apple though and see what they can do.

If you use the MBP for your presentations in local schools, it sure seems like it's a qualifier …
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 18, 2021 04:44PM
Waiting for refurbs!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: October 18, 2021 06:15PM
The 14" MBP, with maybe a bump in the processor, 16bg, 512SSD looks like it might be it for me.

See how things shake out .

Bryan
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 18, 2021 07:12PM
Interested to see how big the screen on the 14" with minimized bezels will seem compared to my 15" 2011 MBP. I'm hoping the difference will be minimal.

It is what it is.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 18, 2021 07:46PM
does any of these have MATTE screens?
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 18, 2021 08:01PM
space-time
does any of these have MATTE screens?

I doubt it. Nothing mentioned, and I had to put a screen finish to get a decent screen on my older Intel 16".
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 18, 2021 08:02PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Interested to see how big the screen on the 14" with minimized bezels will seem compared to my 15" 2011 MBP. I'm hoping the difference will be minimal.

Sorry to say, your eyes are 10 years older - so I'd think everything else equal, the fonts will seem smaller...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 18, 2021 10:06PM
I'm going to need to see some real world benchmarks to quantify whats being offered.

My work laptop is a year old. They'll get me a new one in another year. Maybe I'm waiting for the M2 line of machines.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 18, 2021 10:45PM
sekker
N-OS X-tasy!

Sorry to say, your eyes are 10 years older - so I'd think everything else equal, the fonts will seem smaller...

No issue, as long as I have my reading glasses. In any case, resolution can be changed, although it will be interesting to see how that will affect the relationship between the notch and the image.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: October 19, 2021 05:54AM
Apple screws you on trade in value, unless you have a low specked machine. The trade in looks only at storage size, BUT NOT RAM! If you notice, RAM upgrades are a lot more expensive than SSD/HDD upgrades.

One who has a 16GB machine will get exactly the same trade in value as a 64GB machine.

Not cool, and a show-stopper.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: richorlin
Date: October 19, 2021 07:36AM
Nope, nope, and double nope.
Bought an M1 iMac a month ago and that’s enough for me.

richorlin
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 19, 2021 08:08AM
I'm actually considering one of the Max 16 inchers for our video guy. The base configuration will probably work, but we might up the RAM. Then I'll be sad.

Posted by: SteveO
Date: October 19, 2021 10:18PM
Gareth
SteveO
Any other money-saving tips y'all can recommend for this purchase? Thanks.

If you're considering applying for the Apple Card, consider instead the B&H Payboo card, which rebates the tax, which could potentially be more savings, depending on your state (at least if you're planning to pay off the card with the next bill). I.e. for me, buying through B&H would save 9.5% tax, vs 3% on Apple Card. B&H did appear to have a good selection of the previous model's various configurations on their web site. If you want to split the payments up, then the Apple Card would be more convenient.

Oh hey! Did not know about this, that would be at least 3x the savings, THANKS, Gareth! Thanks also to jdc and bfd for additional tips here! And yeah I definitely use my 'Book for education presentations, so there's that too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Acer , Bo , JEB , kj , pqrst , vision63
Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020