advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Not a Good week: Washer bit the dust today, still no range
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 18, 2021 07:03PM
Was running a few loads of wash though and came down when the dryer was done and found the washer full of water and the control knob was on the off setting. Moved it back to rinse and could hear a feint buzzing sound from the lower part of the unit. Buzzing went away when I opened the lid and came back when I closed it, so I know it isn't the door sensor and I know it is getting power. Was able to spin the motor by hand and the agitator moves so I don't think it is mechanical. A quick google found that the start capacitor is a likely cause and the part is $40. I ordered that from a local place and it should be here tomorrow. Otherwise the motor is $150-$180.

Still haven't resolved the range not working yet. I went and shopped around and I think I settled on this LG model: [www.homedepot.com]

I'd rather have less electronics than more and don't want the extra features, but I don't like exposed lower elements as they are very difficult to clean around without breaking eventually. Everything that was cheaper than this one felt really cheap to go along with the price. This one had a sold feeling door and knobs and didn't seem to be as thin of metal on the frame. I can only hope that the overall build quality extends to the electronics as well.

I can only sit and wonder what the third thing to go bad will be....Both of these were Maytag units. Thankfully nothing else in the house is Maytag, doubt I will be buying another Maytag ever again. I've never had appliances die this quickly, both were around 10 years old.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2021 07:06PM by C(-)ris.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Not a Good week: Washer bit the dust today, still no range
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 18, 2021 07:14PM
A relative had to replace some appliances recently. On Long Island, NY. stocks of "staple" appliances (fridges, stoves, microwaves) is near non-existent. When appliance ARE finally available, quality of new products is often abysmal. You'll probably be better off if you can repair your existing models.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 18, 2021 08:25PM
testcase
A relative had to replace some appliances recently. On Long Island, NY. stocks of "staple" appliances (fridges, stoves, microwaves) is near non-existent. When appliance ARE finally available, quality of new products is often abysmal. You'll probably be better off if you can repair your existing models.

Seems like real inventory is aways off. People are living in their homes and even cooking! And we are in a mini building boom too.

Our 14 year old dryer is showing its age, and we are trying to see our options. We are thinking we will be looking at either a long wait or will continue to rebuild it. The problem is the last time it started slow, I opened it up - no clear broken wheel or loose belt etc. Just seems like the motor is losing its oomph.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2021 08:25PM by sekker.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: October 19, 2021 05:20AM
Had my 35 year old Maytag dryer repaired about 3 months ago. Last week it started to make horrendous noises and was extremely hot.

Decided to get a new one from Home Depot. Just a a basic model and had it delivered last Friday.

It just wasn’t worth dumping more money into the old dryer.

New one drys quicker and is much quieter than the Maytag.

Bryan
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 19, 2021 06:06AM
The 10-year-old Maytag is from the time when that brand was sucking bigtime. It was living off the name reputation and nothing more. Whirlpool owns them now (along with Amana, Jenn-air, and Kitchenaid) and has improved the quality.

Samsung used to make quality appliances but now it is garbage. I still use a Fisher-Paykel washer/dryer from when it was New Zealand owned, but won't go that brand again since Haier bought them.

None of the current makes are meant to last. Now you buy one and immediately start saving for a replacement.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 19, 2021 08:03AM
Our 25-year-old Maytag Neptune set is showing its age.

Took apart the dryer in January and replaced the belt and rollers.

Dryer started making horrible noise last month. Decided to get new set. Stackable this time for more space in the laundry room. Ordered Sep 27, not delivered until this week. Went to check on the status and they were moved to Oct. 29.

Decided to try and get the dryer working since we had a backlog of laundry expecting a new W&D this week. Took it apart and one of the (new) rollers was in pieces. Black dust from the rubber wheel everywhere. Don't know if it was a defective part or bad alignment.

Ordered new rollers for Wednesday delivery. We could probably wait, getting by with rack drying, but the delivery might get pushed out (again), so I will fix the dryer (again).
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: October 19, 2021 09:34AM
My 10yo Whirlpools are both making noise. The washer needs a transmission, about $250, but seems to be readily available. The dryer just needs some new rollers. An easy fix.
I have my eye on a new pair from Electrolux that should be both quieter AND more energy efficient, but need to save up a few more months before I can order them.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 19, 2021 10:40AM
10 years is a good run for large appliances these days.

Our washer died at 10. We wore out the transmission with with a family of 6. The delicate electronics were still fine. I did actually purchase a replacement part, but things were so crusted up I could not separate the required parts to insert the new one. Returned the part and took the Mrs to Lowes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2021 10:42AM by Acer.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 19, 2021 10:53AM
While its annoying that washers and dryers don't last like they used to, they're much more efficient and easier on your clothes.

Hm, I wonder how that works out cost wise over the life of the appliance.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 19, 2021 11:43AM
Oh, our new W&D are "Wi-fi" capable.

Normally, I love the internet of things, but I have no interest in having the W&D online.
Date: October 19, 2021 05:12PM
No go on the start capacitor. Still has the same hum when trying to start. Dug a little bit deeper and jumped the door switch so I could watch with the sides off and was able to watch the motor when it was on and it definitely jumps and then binds on something.

I have my little helper draining all the water from the tank one bucket a time and then I will remove the pump and see if it is jammed or what. Could also be the drive gear as well, but I can't do anything while it is full of water and weights 1000lbs.

C(-)ris
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 19, 2021 07:38PM
.....I tip my washer very well.....so he will never leave.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: October 19, 2021 10:28PM
Washer is fixed. There was a small sock stuck in the pump. Not really sure how that happens, but I’ll take it over a new washer.

C(-)ris
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 20, 2021 08:14AM
C(-)ris
Washer is fixed. There was a small sock stuck in the pump. Not really sure how that happens, but I’ll take it over a new washer.

Fixityourself LEADER!
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: October 21, 2021 09:47AM
agree smiley

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 22, 2021 01:02AM
Grumpyguy
Had my 35 year old Maytag dryer repaired about 3 months ago. Last week it started to make horrendous noises and was extremely hot.

Decided to get a new one from Home Depot. Just a a basic model and had it delivered last Friday.

It just wasn’t worth dumping more money into the old dryer.

New one drys quicker and is much quieter than the Maytag.

Your "new basic model" will NOT have the longevity your Maytag provided. I wouldn't be surprised if the new model died in less that five years (possibly a LOT less).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020