advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Before the new version, let’s revisit 1984’s Dune—the greatest movie ever made
Posted by: DP
Date: October 19, 2021 07:46AM
Detractors call Lynch's saga—a tale of two noble space families 8,000 years in the future, fighting over the most valuable resource in the universe amidst sandworms the size of aircraft carriers—incomprehensible, stilted, and ridiculous. It lost piles of money. Yet fans, especially in recent years, have reclaimed Lynch's film as a magnificent folly, a work of holy, glorious madness.

So which group am I in? Both. Am I about to describe Dune as "so bad it's good"? No, that's a loser take for cowards.

I once half-heard a radio interview with someone speculating that the then-current artistic moment was not "so bad it's good," and it wasn't "ironic" either—it was actually "awesome."

[arstechnica.com]

Back to music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Before the new version, let’s revisit 1984’s Dune—the greatest movie ever made
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 19, 2021 08:06AM
I was never able to make it through the original movie. The new one has Zendaya in it though. I could turn off the sound and just watch her for 3 hours. I think having read the book first is an important pre-req. I haven't done that. I should try though. New goal for the end of the year.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Re: Before the new version, let’s revisit 1984’s Dune—the greatest movie ever made
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 19, 2021 08:15AM
I finally read the book.

Just the one. Are the other books worth reading?
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 19, 2021 08:25AM
Let's face it. On the first read, the book is barely comprehensible.
I played the heck out of the sound track. I didn't see the actual movie until years later.

The worst part of the movie for me was the voice-overs of the thoughts of the characters. An awful storytelling device that is thankfully very, very out of vogue these days. Visually though, the movie is epic.

I didn't care for the SciFi version. Closer to the story, but had the thin feel of a soap opera production.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 19, 2021 08:32AM
.....mmmmmmwa...deeb.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 19, 2021 08:32AM
The Dune series is a life work of the Herbert family. It’s deep and thick and involves the construction of an entire galaxy of worlds and histories and religions and philosophies. It’s the story of a family in this backdrop.

The 1984 film was an attempt to capture elements of that, but there is just too much detail…
Date: October 19, 2021 08:33AM
Lux Interior
I finally read the book.

Just the one. Are the other books worth reading?

I enjoyed them mostly up through Dune Messiah, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune. Those complete the arc of Paul and his children. After that the story seems to wander and lose its epic feel. Don't bother with anything Herbert's son wrote. It may be OK on its own, but it's not Frank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2021 08:34AM by Acer.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 19, 2021 08:46AM
As many of you know, I'm a fan of the 1984 version. Agreed that the SyFy version was lacking.

As for this new version,...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 19, 2021 08:55AM
I am looking forward to it.
My husband has read the book, a long time ago. I may have started it at some point, I don't remember, but I am pretty sure I never finished it.

I am usually up for most any SF epic.
I remember watching the 1984 version, but not much else, except the worms and blue eyes.

My daughter and her SO are going to see it in the theater on Sunday. We will be watching on our smaller screen, at home.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: raz
Date: October 19, 2021 08:59AM
I reread the book every few years. It's a classic. I watched the 1984 version in horror. It's just bad.

I'll give the new version a shot.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: chopper
Date: October 19, 2021 10:00AM
How bad did the 80s suck ass? So bad we PAID to watch this horrific film Dune.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 19, 2021 10:06AM
Jodorowsky's Dune

Posted by: testcase
Date: October 19, 2021 10:13AM
For me, the original "Dune" was a dud. I have NO plans to waste any time watching the "new" Dune.
Date: October 19, 2021 10:29AM
testcase
For me, the original "Dune" was a dud. I have NO plans to waste any time watching the "new" Dune.

That kind of a weird sentiment. Like saying the original Ford was a dud, so I have no plans on buying a new one.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 19, 2021 10:53AM
Acer
I enjoyed them mostly up through Dune Messiah, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune. Those complete the arc of Paul and his children. After that the story seems to wander and lose its epic feel. Don't bother with anything Herbert's son wrote. It may be OK on its own, but it's not Frank.

Agree!
I will also stick up for SyFy's "Frank Herbert's Dune"

It told the actual story rather well, given its budget.
[youtu.be]
I enjoyed the soundtrack as well!
[youtu.be]

The sequel featured a young James McAvoy!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 19, 2021 11:47AM
Still have no clue about this obsession. Dune is a fine book with good sequels. But it's not nearly as good as LOTR or any number of other SciFi writers including Asimov, Heinlein etc.

The 1984 movie was dreck however.

I may watch the 2021 version if it turns out to not suck.
Posted by: raz
Date: October 19, 2021 11:50AM
bazookaman
testcase

That kind of a weird sentiment. Like saying the original Ford was a dud, so I have no plans on buying a new one.

Not a great analogy. I had an Aerostar back in the day when the kids we small. Then, on a college visit, we rented an Escape. Imagine my shock when it drove exactly like Aerostar. Same awful transmission.

Nope. No more Fords for me.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 19, 2021 12:27PM
when the books got to the armor made out of tiny wormlets, I closed the page and never went back.

I thought the concept was being presented as being much more profound than it deserved to be. (The sandworms were a plus, however)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 19, 2021 01:16PM
Read Dune, loved it instantly, read it voraciously.

Deeply disappointed in Lynch's movie, and vision.

It was horrible, and I've realized I dislike most things he touches.

Haven't see any other attempts to bring the book to any screen, too disappointed by that movie.

But this Dune is different, and makes me want to read the book again.

I have a version or two from Audible, but haven't got 'round to listening yet, and may do that before rereading Dune.

The Messiah wasn't at all compelling for me, and felt more like an add-on than another chapter in the arc, so I quit about half-way in.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 19, 2021 02:08PM
Read the books in Jr. High and High School, and loved them.

Saw the movie and hated it.

Then, 25 years or so later, saw the movie again.... STILL hated it as an adaptation of the book, but, as a movie it had a great deal of visual appeal, grand world-building, great cast... It's not a bad movie if you don't compare it to the book at all. It's still not GREAT... but, it's not as bad as I remembered.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: October 19, 2021 02:12PM
Paul F.
It's not a bad movie if you don't compare it to the book at all. It's still not GREAT... but, it's not as bad as I remembered.

You can apply that to most movies based on books. (except The Princess Bride). I never read the books. I remember them sitting on my parent's dresser forever as a child. And I remember being intimidated by how big they were...for books.Which is why they sat there forever. Clearly it took my parents a LONG time to read them.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 19, 2021 02:31PM
bazookaman
Paul F.
It's not a bad movie if you don't compare it to the book at all. It's still not GREAT... but, it's not as bad as I remembered.

You can apply that to most movies based on books. (except The Princess Bride).

Which, ironically, was considered unadaptable by Hollywood for YEARS.

It is what it is.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 19, 2021 03:10PM
I felt that I HAD to read Dune even though it was a challenge for my slow reading eyes.

It's a good book, but I found that it excels in the little details - not so much the overall story. There must have been 100 pages on the stillsuit - LOTS about Spice itself - there just isn't room in a movie/tv show for all of this detail.

I watched the 2021 movie - pretty good, but shallow.

Every single production of this book generates the same reaction from me - it feels like the 'introduction' goes on for more than 1/2 the show. After an hour or so, I'm wondering when things are gonna get going.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 19, 2021 03:30PM
.....what about....the sequel.....BrigaDune......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: October 19, 2021 03:35PM
Yeah, I don't want to oversell the book as a great page-turner. You read it for the philosophical and political commentary couched in its world building, not so much the plot or the character development. Chapters and chapters of rumination, then SUDDENLY PLOT, then back to slow rumination again.
Posted by: dk62
Date: October 20, 2021 07:52AM
So much in this thread. Count me among those who re-read the original books many times, but could never get into any of the sequels. Hated Lynch's Dune, did not reflect my beloved book. Should also say that I generally like Lynch.

SyFys miniseries was much, much closer to the book and I enjoyed it.

Don't understand comparisons Herbert vs Asimov - Asimov is OK for a budding SF reader in middle school, but his writing style is way too simplistic to hold up for adult readers.

Looking forward to the new version of Dune.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 20, 2021 02:20PM
I do think Lynch's version gets way too much hate. If you look at the set design, the costuming, the direction, the acting, the music, the cinematography, etc., it's really head and shoulders above some of the other versions.

Example, compare these two (three) scenes:

[www.youtube.com]

versus

[www.youtube.com]
(jump to 1:58 in this clip)

versus

[www.youtube.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2021 08:19PM by PeterB.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020