advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Michael Morgan Dead
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 19, 2021 08:17PM
I did not even know this until today. I saw him conduct the Sacramento Orchestra a few times.

Michael Morgan, the longtime music director for the Sacramento Philharmonic and Oakland Symphony who strived to have his organizations better represent the communities they served, died last week from an infection following a kidney transplant. He was 63.

Morgan was appointed music director of the fledgling Sacramento Philharmonic Orchestra in 1999. He remained in that post until 2015, after which he became the Music Director Emeritus of the Sacramento Philharmonic and Opera until his passing late last week.

“[Morgan] held this position proudly,” said Sacramento Philharmonic Executive Director Alice Sauro, “bringing a wide range of programming to the Sacramento region... We were fortunate and grateful that he took the time to develop this orchestra, many members who are on the roster today. The Sacramento Philharmonic & Opera remembers Michael for his grace and professionalism, and was proud to have him serve as our Music Director Emeritus."

Michael Morgan came on the scene with the Sacramento Philharmonic in the late 1990s, after the Sac Phil and their previous music director abruptly parted ways, according to CapRadio freelance arts reporter Jeff Hudson.

“Morgan, who was the conductor at what was then known as the Oakland East Bay Symphony, was summoned on short notice to lead the Sacramento Philharmonic in a concert that featured a Brahms symphony as its centerpiece," recalls Jeff Hudson. "The concert was a success, and Morgan — who basically saved the day with his assured baton work — soon became Sac Phil’s music director, while retaining his Oakland post.”

[www.capradio.org]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Michael Morgan Dead
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 19, 2021 08:20PM
freeradical
I did not even know this until today. I saw him conduct the Sacramento Orchestra a few times.

Michael Morgan, the longtime music director for the Sacramento Philharmonic and Oakland Symphony who strived to have his organizations better represent the communities they served, died last week from an infection following a kidney transplant. He was 63.

Morgan was appointed music director of the fledgling Sacramento Philharmonic Orchestra in 1999. He remained in that post until 2015, after which he became the Music Director Emeritus of the Sacramento Philharmonic and Opera until his passing late last week.

“[Morgan] held this position proudly,” said Sacramento Philharmonic Executive Director Alice Sauro, “bringing a wide range of programming to the Sacramento region... We were fortunate and grateful that he took the time to develop this orchestra, many members who are on the roster today. The Sacramento Philharmonic & Opera remembers Michael for his grace and professionalism, and was proud to have him serve as our Music Director Emeritus."

Michael Morgan came on the scene with the Sacramento Philharmonic in the late 1990s, after the Sac Phil and their previous music director abruptly parted ways, according to CapRadio freelance arts reporter Jeff Hudson.

“Morgan, who was the conductor at what was then known as the Oakland East Bay Symphony, was summoned on short notice to lead the Sacramento Philharmonic in a concert that featured a Brahms symphony as its centerpiece," recalls Jeff Hudson. "The concert was a success, and Morgan — who basically saved the day with his assured baton work — soon became Sac Phil’s music director, while retaining his Oakland post.”

[www.capradio.org]

His death was a tremendous blow. He punched way above his weight class. He was a huge educator too. I've seen him conduct a number of times in the beautiful Paramount Theater on Broadway in Oakland. Supposed to be a tribute concert for him soon.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 21, 2021 03:21PM
...in the beautiful Paramount Theater on Broadway in Oakland.

That theater is gorgeous!

I was there once before its renovation and once after.

For the life of me, I can't remember who I saw, but a woman whom I used to work with put me on a guest list.

Shame on me for not remembering the performance, but I was in complete awe of the theater.

There was so much attention to detail.

It harkened back to my days as a kid, doing to the show, waiting for the curtains to open... only then at the Paramount I felt like a grown up rich kid.

I felt like I should be wearing a suit and tie — maybe a cravat.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 21, 2021 07:03PM
RAMd®d
...in the beautiful Paramount Theater on Broadway in Oakland.

That theater is gorgeous!

I was there once before its renovation and once after.

For the life of me, I can't remember who I saw, but a woman whom I used to work with put me on a guest list.

Shame on me for not remembering the performance, but I was in complete awe of the theater.

There was so much attention to detail.

It harkened back to my days as a kid, doing to the show, waiting for the curtains to open... only then at the Paramount I felt like a grown up rich kid.

I felt like I should be wearing a suit and tie — maybe a cravat.

It is drop dead spectacular. The Fox on Telegraph has been restored impeccably too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 74
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020