advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wood toilet seat . . .
Posted by: mspace
Date: October 21, 2021 02:27PM
Need to replace my wood toilet seat, especially because the finish has worn off.

I was thinking of doing a couple of layers of polyurethane on the new one to help keep that from happening again.

Any reason why that's not advised?

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wood toilet seat . . .
Posted by: MikeF
Date: October 21, 2021 02:31PM
Lightly sand and and refinish? Use marine grade polyurethane.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 21, 2021 02:35PM
Great idea. I have one I haven’t installed yet. If it doesn’t work as planned, big deal. As to one with the finish worn off, what about white spray paint?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2021 02:36PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 21, 2021 02:41PM
If you're going to refinish a new one, why not refinish the old one? Particularly after all that effort has gone into it....fitting you like your favorite pair of jeans.

Date: October 21, 2021 02:56PM
mattkime
If you're going to refinish a new one, why not refinish the old one? Particularly after all that effort has gone into it....fitting you like your favorite pair of jeans.

It's a good number of years old and the finish is now quite bad. I'd still have to find a temporary seat, as it's the only one in the apt., so I might as well start with a new one with a good finish to begin with.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 21, 2021 02:57PM
.....splinters.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 21, 2021 03:20PM
Commercial grade, heavy duty plastic. You won't regret it.
OTOH, they had those wood core, color coded toilet seats from the late 40's - 60's that the finish was bomb-proof. They made 'em to match the toilets of the day. We had pink, blue, red, and green in the house that I grew up in that was built in 1948/49. The folks sold it in the 70's, with all of those old water wasters intact; and if they've somehow survived this long, I'm sure those seats would still look new.

Not sure if those old school woodies are still around, but it might be worth looking into if you're stuck on wood. IIRC, they were basically resin impregnated particle board, and the best ones had some sort of rebar in the core. Wouldn't surprise me if there were sort of toxins in the paint, too, but damn those things were indestructible.

I'm stickin' w/ comfy plastic.
==
Date: October 21, 2021 03:23PM
Buzz
......those old school woodies are still around......

Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 21, 2021 03:34PM
Agree with Buzz, go plastic and never look back.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: October 21, 2021 03:46PM
Speedy
Agree with Buzz, go plastic and never look back.

Or down.

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 21, 2021 04:04PM
wood is more comfortable than plastic.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 21, 2021 04:12PM
agree, wood is more comfortable. I did always have the impression it maybe "contained" germs a little more so than plastic, but perhaps wood has natural germicide capacity..?
Date: October 21, 2021 04:16PM
Plastic remind me of an Exxon station.
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 21, 2021 04:31PM
I don't think putting more poly on top of a new seat will do much. Those factory finishes are pretty tough. Sanding it enough to get the poly to stick would probably outweigh the benefit. Just my 2¢ worth.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: October 21, 2021 04:31PM
I found a seat by Centoco called Centocore.

It's a polypropylene shell over a molded wood core. Might be the best of both worlds.

I'm calling them tomorrow to ask a few questions . . .
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 21, 2021 04:34PM
If you ever plan toinstall a bidet attachment, you’ll want to go plastic because it can handle the flexing whereas the wood will tend to lose its finish/paint.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: October 21, 2021 04:36PM
This one:
[www.homedepot.com]

(just pretend you're in the woods...)
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 21, 2021 04:38PM
mrbigstuff
Agree, wood is more comfortable. I did always have the impression it maybe "contained" germs a little more so than plastic, but perhaps wood has natural germicide capacity..?

You're right on the money, wood does have inherent anti-microbial properties. A few years back the local (State? Federal?) health department made wooden spoons, cutting boards, and kitchen implements of any kind forbidden for restaurant use because of their porous surfaces and strongly suggested smooth plastic to replace the wood. Turns out plastic doesn't stay smooth once it's in use, and since plastic has no anti-microbial properties restaurant kitchens became more germ-friendly, not less.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: October 21, 2021 04:53PM
space, buy anew seat that fits and use it until you can refinish the old one to your satisfaction. You won't need to refinish the new one if plastic.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 21, 2021 05:30PM
I've always admired the classic Fortunoff's grand gesture seat from the 1970'
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 21, 2021 05:40PM
some prefer 'The Penny Pincher'

Date: October 21, 2021 06:10PM
The right Plastic is way more comfortable than Wood....

Universally Asshole Approved!
==
Date: October 21, 2021 06:24PM
If you bought a plastic one for your home, would you get the notched one like public places are required to have?
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 21, 2021 07:11PM
Steve G.
I've always admired the classic Fortunoff's grand gesture seat from the 1970'

I wanted the one with strands of barbed wire in it.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Date: October 21, 2021 08:29PM
Dennis S
If you bought a plastic one for your home, would you get the notched one like public places are required to have?

Do you mean open front? It's the oooonly way to fly. Wally Bird had that right.

==
Date: October 21, 2021 08:34PM
Buzz
Dennis S

Do you mean open front? It's the oooonly way to fly. Wally Bird had that right.

==

Yes.
Date: October 21, 2021 08:45PM
Thrift Store Scott
Steve G.
I've always admired the classic Fortunoff's grand gesture seat from the 1970's

I wanted the one with strands of barbed wire in it.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 21, 2021 10:39PM
MikeF
This one:
[www.homedepot.com]

(just pretend you're in the woods...)

...and watch out for the bears.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 21, 2021 11:39PM

We had this one a few years ago, but it was not up to the task of dealing a one particular guest. So we went back to the wood one.

I do prefer wood, if feels much nice in cold weather!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 22, 2021 06:55AM
mspace,

"commercial" doesn't equate superior quality. Rather, it could easily mean worse quality. We have this Bemis model in the bathrooms at our office:

[www.amazon.com]

Inferior. The seat is thin and the cover drops as you're sitting on the seat and hits your back. IT doesn't have softclose, which is a nice feature.

If you're going to buy a toilet seat, spend the bucks on a quality model. We switched to a Bath Royale seat and never looked back. High quality. Easy installation. Durable.

Choose the version that is most suitable for you:

[www.amazon.com]

We have the family Premium version because of Little M and it's excellent. I can imagine the executive and mastersuite versions are that much better.

Don't hesitate to go for any version of the Bathroyale model. It's worth the bucks.

Robert
Date: October 22, 2021 07:00AM
....the ladies (and some fellas) love the wood......

Date: October 22, 2021 04:32PM
Heavy duty for making doodies....

Super comfy and incredible quality... heavy duty commercial for toilet seats means schools, hospitals, commercial buildings, etc., that get lots of use, so they're way more durable than standard home-use models. Like most products, there are differing grades of quality available in commercial toilet seats.... good ones are good, wherever they are located.
==
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 22, 2021 04:54PM
Buzz,

Nope. Heavy-duty commercial doesn't equate more durable. Far from. One company's heavy-duty commercial might be no better than another company's heavy-duty home model. Might even be the same thing with a different name.

Robert
Date: October 22, 2021 05:09PM
This is what I'm going to try. It seems the best of both worlds.

[www.homedepot.com]
Date: October 22, 2021 06:59PM
....not sure what I....wood.....do.....

Posted by: wave rider
Date: October 23, 2021 12:39PM

Did someone say warmth?

=wr=
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 57
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020