Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
cat food calculator
Posted by: Fritz
Date: October 21, 2021 06:27PM
borrowing the coffee thread below.

the average 5.5z can of (chicken) cat food has 4.3z of water. (78%)
the cheapest cat food is .50/can (it's among the lowest rated cans there are by multiple sources). so around 37¢ for water.
and around $2/lb for the actual food.
The average can of cat food that opposing thumbers buy is around $1 or around $4/lb of actual food (sourced from all over the world.

if you make it yourself.
$1/lb for untrimmed thighs from CostCo or the like.
Specific nutritional pack from various suppliers. $2/lb.
A total of $3 or so to DIY.
Takes me less than 30 mins per batch, usually a couple pounds.

You are then feeding human quality food.
You're not feeding your furry beasts anything that comes from a country without an FDA type organization (yes, I know that the FDA is not infallible).

Would you eat chicken from jina with nutrients sourced from who knows where?

While cats come from a long line of wild beasts that eat carcasses found, your cat has been domesticated over 1000's of years. His guts may not work as well as a tiger in the wilds on India

Or feed your cat homemade coffee.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: cat food calculator
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 21, 2021 06:56PM
Have the recipe available?

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 21, 2021 06:57PM
Saves me the trouble of buying/sourcing the extra stuff and mixing/cooking/packing/storing/prepping and throwing out the waste.

So, I'm okay buying cat food.

Posted by: p8712
Date: October 21, 2021 07:29PM
Owen demands the best.

Please name your cat food cookbook eating pussy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2021 07:30PM by p8712.
Date: October 21, 2021 07:52PM
!

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 21, 2021 07:53PM
....soylent green is....free.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 21, 2021 08:58PM
I must be the only one who feeds dry cat food. It is under $1 per lbs. Two cats, been fed dry cat food their entire life. Water from the tap is essentially free. One is 16 years old and going strong the other passed at 13 years (Had a broken leg when he was 8, surgery, metal rod, etc and was less mobile).

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 21, 2021 09:05PM
C(-)ris
I must be the only one who feeds dry cat food.

Now you can feel guilty - [catinfo.org]

Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 21, 2021 09:37PM
C(-)ris
I must be the only one who feeds dry cat food. It is under $1 per lbs. Two cats, been fed dry cat food their entire life. Water from the tap is essentially free. One is 16 years old and going strong the other passed at 13 years (Had a broken leg when he was 8, surgery, metal rod, etc and was less mobile).

Also have fed my cats mostly dry food over the years. Almost all of them have been fine except the current one. He developed diabetes last year, have to give him insulin twice a day. Might be able to get him off insulin if I could find a wet food he would eat, but at 13 years old he expects the crunchy stuff. AT least he require half the insulin dose he needed the first couple of months, his insulin production has partly recovered.

There are low and lower carb dry cat foods, somewhat more expensive. Most of the regular commercial regular dry cat foods run in the 35-40% carbohydrate level. I was able to find one locally that was grain free that is about 30% carbohydrate for a bit less than $2 a lb.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: October 21, 2021 10:25PM
My mom feeds them cheap bar-s hotdogs besides dry cat food . $1 dollar a pack at Walmart. Lots cheaper than canned cat food .
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 21, 2021 11:20PM
p8712
Owen demands the best.

Please name your cat food cookbook eating pussy.

smiley-laughing001

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: October 22, 2021 05:11AM
We make our own for the inside cats. It’s amazing how energetic, shiny, and playful they are. Their teeth look great at 11 and 12 years old. A friend had a dog on this diet and it made us believers. But we do the real controversial thing - we feed raw with bones. It also sucks making it, particularly since we don’t eat meat! I’ll buy a cart of vegetables, a pound of livers, and 4 packs of gizzards. It’s pretty gross.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: October 22, 2021 09:40AM
mattkime
C(-)ris
I must be the only one who feeds dry cat food.

Now you can feel guilty - [catinfo.org]

Guess I need to start feeding my greedy freeloading cat some wet food too on the regular.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 22, 2021 10:31AM
Nothing that we feed them is equivalent to what they eat naturally. If you are going to prepare your own cat food, look up recipes that give them enough taurine.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: rz
Date: October 22, 2021 03:56PM
We have a cat who is allergic to the basic protein in most meats. He can eat chicken, but it has to have had the protein removed (I think the process is called hyrolization). About the only meat he isn't allergic to is venison. They used to make a venison based special diet food he could tolerate, but it was crazy expensive, then they stopped making it. We tried recipes online with real venison, but he wouldn't eat it. There are only a handful of foods available that he can eat, and none are canned. They're all dry.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 22, 2021 04:07PM
rz
We have a cat who is allergic to the basic protein in most meats. He can eat chicken, but it has to have had the protein removed (I think the process is called hyrolization). About the only meat he isn't allergic to is venison. They used to make a venison based special diet food he could tolerate, but it was crazy expensive, then they stopped making it. We tried recipes online with real venison, but he wouldn't eat it. There are only a handful of foods available that he can eat, and none are canned. They're all dry.

This is interesting to me: I have a cat going into the vet soon for a colonoscopy because she has developed an intolerance for most wet foods. Dry foods only give her trouble when they are "high protein" foods.

I can feed her Natural Balance chicken with few problems. (Comes in a packet, not a can.) I have to watch how much I giver her. She has occasional flare-ups if I provide much more than half a packet (about 1.5 ounces) per meal.

Science Diet z/d and Royal Canin gastro foods are supposed to help for this sort of thing, but they're worse for my cat than anything else.

I've been reading that venison and rabbit may present fewer digestive issues for some cats, but haven't found any in stores that aren't in a "gravy" that messes up my cat's digestion.

My vet said that she would provide me with a prescription and a list of mail-order places for the appropriate simple-protein foods if it appears from the colonoscopy that it's a food-allergy/sensitivity and not the big "C." Have you talked to your vet about a prescription-diet?

Date: October 22, 2021 05:27PM
catinfo.org that mattkime points to is where I started the research.
Only coz we had one cat who had special needs in food and because of some of the "better" pet foods recalled a few years back.

There is also [www.catnutrition.org]
and [feline-nutrition.org]
and [thecatsite.com]
[hare-today.com]
for info.

Nutrition supplies and I'm sure others.
[www.knowwhatyoufeed.com]
[felineinstincts.com]
[www.foodfurlife.com]

I also supplement with Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Delights Flaked Chicken & Turkey Grain-Free. It's not the best or worst and "reasonably" priced.
[tcfeline.com]

I cook what I make for O as he is not into the raw at all.
It includes some chicken liver.
YMMD.
I use the Alnutrin w/calcium (egg shells) stuff as it caused him no issues.
The taurine is very important as ka jowct points out.

I pull the skin and cut out the bones and slow simmer for hours to get bone broth and fat. Very healthy for them.
So far, O's vet sees no issue.
That Hills Science diet is a fkn farce.

Dr Pierson also has a rating for canned food.
[catinfo.org]

We use to feed Tiki or Ziwi. Fkn $$$ when you're unemployed.
But a reliable good quality source if you can.
O favors my creation over theirs.

No dry food in years.

!#$@@$#!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2021 05:28PM by Fritz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020