advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If I don't do Video or Graphics Do I Really Need a M1X Max?
Posted by: Billybob
Date: October 22, 2021 09:23AM
The real question is whether I'll see any time-saving over a M1X Pro if I am strictly a stills editor? I use Lightroom, Photoshop, and Capture 1 and do final image tweaks with Topaz DeNoise AI, Topaz Sharpen AI, and Nik Viveza. Viveza is generally fast enough, but Topaz, especially Sharpen, can be dog slow. My biggest slowdowns with Light room are IO (that fast SSD will be a big help), photo merge, and photo stacking.

Okay, I've already ordered the Max, but I'm wondering if I could have saved a few hundreds by going with something less than the top.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If I don't do Video or Graphics Do I Really Need a M1X Max?
Posted by: Spiff
Date: October 22, 2021 09:31AM
Nope. Nope. Nope. You did the right thing. Now, you need to redirect the shipping to South Carolina so I can put it through its paces and set it up for you.

Might take some time...
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 22, 2021 09:43AM
You could have gone with the 24 core vs the 32 core to save a few $$.

or ordered from somewhere else besides apple, discounts are out there

[9to5toys.com]

And if you are going to order from apple, now 6% off with apple card.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2021 09:48AM by jdc.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 22, 2021 09:51AM
For light graphics work, the Pro is probably fine.

That being said, I'm recommending the 24 core for my clients doing design-work to add some future-proofing. GPU demands only go higher, and we can always drop the spec down to "Pro" if the budget is tight.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: October 22, 2021 09:51AM
Those discounts on the MacBook Pros mentioned above are gone - back to list prices.
Date: October 22, 2021 10:03AM
Forrest
Those discounts on the MacBook Pros mentioned above are gone - back to list prices.

well, bummer, snooze ya lose I guess =)

thanks for the update.

Im sure more discounts will come... but U will have to wait now..

Posted by: Billybob
Date: October 22, 2021 12:35PM
Okay, so not really needed but good for future proofing.

I'm generally a desktop guy, so I'm really looking forward to the iteration of the old 27" iMac (32"?). But I'm increasingly doing work on the road under deadline, so an upgraded laptop makes sense.
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 22, 2021 12:41PM
To me, Lightroom is the dog slowest app of them all.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 22, 2021 01:15PM
There is a big difference between Pro and Max besides the number of graphics cores. For Max, the Bandwidth between RAM and CPU/GPU is twice as big as for Pro. So if you're doing something that goes back and forth between CPU and RAM, that could make a big difference by itself.

I'm waiting for the reviews to see what difference that makes in the performance specs. For my wallet's sake, I'm hoping the answer is something like, "Unless you're plotting protein folding (or whatever), there's no big difference.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 22, 2021 03:22PM
anonymouse1
There is a big difference between Pro and Max besides the number of graphics cores. For Max, the Bandwidth between RAM and CPU/GPU is twice as big as for Pro. So if you're doing something that goes back and forth between CPU and RAM, that could make a big difference by itself.

Thanks for bringing that up. Sorry that I neglected to mention that.

It is a significant part of why I'm recommending the 24-core to designers. Memory bandwidth is a consideration for PS/ID work.

Date: October 22, 2021 03:32PM
Sarcany
It is a significant part of why I'm recommending the 24-core to designers. Memory bandwidth is a consideration for PS/ID work.

Count me in that camp as well.

I had a few clients jump on those early deals, told them to get the 24 core unless they had the budget for 32.

telling everyone else to wait until next weeks tests... they have all been waiting this long, another month wont kill them. =)

Odds are most of my peeps will just be going for the M1P tho, most just need an upgrade from an older 15" MBPs showing their age... but still getting by.

Jumping to the 24 core M1M also automatically makes you go to 32 GB of RAM, so a $600 jump over base M1P.

Posted by: bfd
Date: October 22, 2021 04:24PM
jdc
I'm telling everyone else to wait until next weeks tests... they have all been waiting this long, another month wont kill them. =)

Good advice - though another month could well push new orders well into spring 22 as far as delivery goes. Order today and maybe see something in December. Lots of delays coming up. Wait for their financial statements and meeting next week. The supply chain problems we keep hearing about may have already reached critical mass in terms of future availability of products.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 22, 2021 04:42PM
Sarcany
anonymouse1

Thanks for bringing that up. Sorry that I neglected to mention that.

Yeah, I would go for the Max over the Pro just for the additional memory bandwidth. There’s your futureproofing, right there.

It is what it is.
Date: October 22, 2021 05:11PM
bfd
Good advice - though another month could well push new orders well into spring 22 as far as delivery goes.

I didn't word that right -- orders are already a month out (Nov 22 for 16") if you order today. which is what I meant.

My goal is to digest a bunch of reviews early next week and then start sending out recommendations to purchase ASAP, hoping delivery dates are still around Dec 1.

Posted by: davester
Date: October 22, 2021 07:52PM
It's not about what you "really need". It's about bragging rights.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 22, 2021 07:55PM
jdc
bfd
Good advice - though another month could well push new orders well into spring 22 as far as delivery goes.

I didn't word that right -- orders are already a month out (Nov 22 for 16") if you order today. which is what I meant.

My goal is to digest a bunch of reviews early next week and then start sending out recommendations to purchase ASAP, hoping delivery dates are still around Dec 1.

Dates probably will be good for the 3 standard configurations. Today, they're all still being advertised as delivering by Nov 22-30. Any optional RAM or SSD could push that date into December, though.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 22, 2021 09:30PM
It looks like the 6% cash back was never a thing, at least this time around.

[appleinsider.com]

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020