advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bad day for local Teslas...
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 22, 2021 09:11PM
Just pulled into traffic after stopping at the plywood store, and in front of us was a confluence of vehicles of various shapes and sizes, coming from all directions; including a SUV that cut across traffic from an alley across the street. BTW, the street was Sepulveda Blvd. in Culver City. Somehow, w/ cars, trucks, SUV's, and even a "Not-in-Service" city bus jockeying for position, three of those vehicles managed to do a low speed mangle. A pearly white Tesla Model 3/Y was one of the casualties..... that's the first Tesla crunch I've seen IRL.

Later, spousal unit gets home from Costco, and she had parked far away from Costco, to be closer to the In-n-Out on the other side of the property there. She rolled her Costco cart there, and after unloading it into our SUV, she left the empty cart near a light green Tesla Model S. Well, about that same time, a young doc in hospital scrubs saunters up to his nice ride, and fumbles for the Tesla key fob thingy in his pocket.... which he promptly keeps fumbling, and watches as it slithers thru the sewer grate next to his Tesla. Mrs. Buzz didn't see the fumble, as she was organizing the Costco goodies; she just saw the horrified doc looking around, and her thought was that the shopping cart had somehow rolled into the doc's Tesla. When she found out what happened, well you can imagine....

Like the subject line says, it was a bad day for local Teslas.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bad day for local Teslas...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 22, 2021 09:21PM
For a few reasons, I never leave a shopping cart in the lot.

I may be putting some clerk out of a job, but the cart always goes back to the front of the store.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 22, 2021 09:43PM
My partner's 3 just unlocks when she walks up to it. Odd. It's either a fob in her purse, or maybe her smartphone app on her iPhone.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 22, 2021 09:57PM
Life in the city. Whatareyagonnado?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 22, 2021 10:24PM
Doc not using the Tesla app? That’s odd.
Date: October 22, 2021 10:34PM
Doc wasn't toooo pissed off, but a couple of unnecessary Benjamin's down the drain. Literally.
Not sure what the final outcome was, other human said he was considering calling fire dept to rescue the fob.
I woulda told him to go to the tire dept, and get one of the guys from there to work some magic. The peeps in our Costco's tire dept are pretty helpful.
==
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 23, 2021 04:26AM
Buzz
Doc wasn't toooo pissed off, but a couple of unnecessary Benjamin's down the drain. Literally.
Not sure what the final outcome was, other human said he was considering calling fire dept to rescue the fob.
I woulda told him to go to the tire dept, and get one of the guys from there to work some magic. The peeps in our Costco's tire dept are pretty helpful.
==

I keep a pre-straightened and hook-ended coat hanger in my car for just such emergencies. Depending on the depth of the drain hole underneath it, he may have had to raise the grate to retrieve the key fob though.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 23, 2021 05:35AM
Thrift Store Scott
Buzz
==

I keep a pre-straightened and hook-ended coat hanger in my car for just such emergencies. Depending on the depth of the drain hole underneath it, he may have had to raise the grate to retrieve the key fob though.

Dang, I knew forum members are prepared but… Don’t ever lift the grate and climb down. It can be done but sewer gas can and will kill.

My keys stay in my pocket. My car unlocks when I press the door release and locks when I walk away from it. My wife’s car requires a button press on the door handle to lock/unlock it. I love keyless cars; okay, cars where the key remains in your pocket. I don’t want to use my phone to unlock my car.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2021 05:38AM by Speedy.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: October 23, 2021 06:16AM
On the Model S & X the car automatically unlocks as you get near the car. I never have to take the Fob out of my pocket.
On the Model 3 & Y The Bluetooth connection from the phone unlocks the car as you get near it. As a back up there’s a card key. They do have key fobs available, but for these models they are an extra cost.
All of them can be unlocked via the Internet with the phone app also, but in that case, you have to take the phone out of your pocket and press a few buttons.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 23, 2021 07:28AM
On the Model S & X the car automatically unlocks as you get near the car. I never have to take the Fob out of my pocket.

I really like that feature.

All of them can be unlocked via the Internet with the phone app also, but in that case, you have to take the phone out of your pocket and press a few buttons.

It's always nice to have a Plan B!

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 23, 2021 03:11PM
Speedy
Thrift Store Scott
Buzz
==

Dang, I knew forum members are prepared but… Don’t ever lift the grate and climb down. It can be done but sewer gas can and will kill.

Keeping the prepared coat hanger in my car came more from people breaking into (I'd hope) their own cars and leaving the coat hangers they used laying there, which is a flat tire or at least a loud scraping noise from underneath the car just waiting to happen, and me picking them up and tossing them in my car than from a conscious, planned decision on my part. Plus there's never a good coat hanger around when you need one, so I leave one in the car now just in case.

As for me personally lifting the grate and climbing down, especially on someone else's behalf, oh hell no. Not me, buddy. Even without sewer gases in that equation way too many things can still go badly wrong.

Speedy
My keys stay in my pocket. My car unlocks when I press the door release and locks when I walk away from it. My wife’s car requires a button press on the door handle to lock/unlock it. I love keyless cars; okay, cars where the key remains in your pocket. I don’t want to use my phone to unlock my car.

It kills me to channel my Dad's Luddite tendencies but one can't outrun genetics so...

My only experience with a keyless car was a Nissan Quest minivan I rented on vacation. No actual key, but the doors had to be deliberately unlocked using the fob and the van cranked using a button on the dash. I wasn't a fan and was paranoid the whole time I had it that I'd lose the fob or accidentally lock it in the van because 30 years of habit made me keep it out until after I sat down inside, where I'd put it in a tray on the dash until I got where I was going.

I will concede that not having to pull the fob out at all is a big improvement and would have improved my experience with a keyless vehicle considerably.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2021 03:12PM by Thrift Store Scott.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: October 23, 2021 03:14PM
RAMd®d

The new Model S & X can do it all 4 ways. Fob. card, Bluetooth and internet.
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 23, 2021 03:41PM
Ken Sp.
RAMd®d

The new Model S & X can do it all 4 ways. Fob. card, Bluetooth and internet.

If you're being chased by a pack of Zombies, it'll also save you precious getaway seconds.
Date: October 23, 2021 10:31PM
The doc did try tugging at the grate, but quickly realized he was overmatched.
He didn't have a problem getting into the car; the problem was recovering his fumble.

Still curious as to what happened with the other lady and her little pearly white Tesla....
we were only 3 or 4 cars back, w/ a big city bus on our right, from the low speed crunch, but I couldn't see whose fault it was, though just on general principals, I was initially kinda pissed at the SUV cutting in from the alley across the street. Too much traffic for that aggressive of a move.... so w/ the traffic in our NB lanes snarled, when the SB lanes cleared, I ducked across into the alley the aggressive SUV driver had recently come from, and cut thru the restaurant parking lot and out on the cross street to get around the bumper bumping party.
cool smiley
==
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 23, 2021 11:05PM
wham bam teslacam on yt... nothing but teslas (although not always part of the accident)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 24, 2021 09:17AM
jdc
wham bam teslacam on yt... nothing but teslas (although not always part of the accident)

With 4 cameras, they're (currently) unique and well suited for recording accidents.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 75
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020