Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: Dangerous/fatal product recall - Don't buy your scents from Walmart
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 23, 2021 11:02AM
[gizmodo.com]

Walmart Aromatherapy Spray Linked to Mystery Outbreak of a Deadly Tropical Disease, Recall Issued

On Friday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced a primary suspect behind a perplexing outbreak of melioidosis, a tropical and often fatal bacterial disease rarely found in the United States: a brand of aromatherapy spray sold by the retail chain Walmart online and at dozens of stores. Though the investigation is ongoing, the spray in question is now being recalled.

Earlier this July, CDC officials reported that three people from different states—Kansas, Texas, and Minnesota—had all recently contracted melioidosis, caused by the Burkholderia pseudomallei. A fourth case was identified in August, from Georgia. All four had been hospitalized as a result, and two subsequently died...

...in the home of the Georgia patient, investigators said they found the bacteria within a bottle of “Better Homes & Gardens Lavender & Chamomile Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones.” Their investigation has now prompted a voluntary recall of the brand and five others in the same product line by Walmart, which was announced concurrently Friday by the Consumer Safety Products Commissions.

...The fatality rate of melioidosis, which can be hard to diagnose and identify with standard tests, can be up to 40%. And the brand was found to be sold online and at 55 different Walmart stores between February to October 2021, according to the CDC. About 4,000 units of the products are included in the recall.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: Dangerous/fatal product recall - Don't buy your scents from Walmart
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 23, 2021 11:02AM
.....one must have scents.....and sensibility.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 23, 2021 11:23AM
I don't think I have ever bought a scent other than one of those little pine trees to hang from my rearview mirror.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 23, 2021 08:56PM
Holy crap we bought that … looking for it now.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 25, 2021 02:04PM
This is part of why I prefer buying the essential oils, then mixing my own... because with the premixed scents, they often add a ton of extra, unnecessary chemicals.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020