advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Rant: Ebay charging final value fees on the collected taxes.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 23, 2021 03:28PM
I just noticed I have to pay eBay's final value fees on the value of the sales taxes they collected. Now that ain't right. Sellers pad the shipping fees, I get the that, but we have no control over the taxes collected--I'm not hiding any income there. Of course, if they didn't collect a fee on the taxes, they'd just up their percentage. But it just doesn't smell right to be collecting fees on taxes.

</rant>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2021 08:30PM by Acer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: WTF Ebay charging final value fees on the collected taxes.
Posted by: Carm
Date: October 23, 2021 03:30PM
Yeah, that’s B.S
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 23, 2021 03:37PM
I wonder if that's a new change with the eBay payments system.

The last time I sold something, eBay charged the FVF on the item price and the shipping cost, but PayPal charged their fee on the whole transaction (includes sales tax).

In a weird way, this could hurt buyers too. If you get the same offer from someone in OR vs CA, then the OR offer is going to net you more money, thus the no and low tax states now have more attractive buyers.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 23, 2021 04:47PM
eBay sucks.
Posted by: Cary
Date: October 23, 2021 05:45PM
Credit card companies do the same to merchants. Fleet management companies do the same to repair shops.

Should be illegal.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: October 23, 2021 09:01PM
Gareth
I wonder if that's a new change with the eBay payments system.

The last time I sold something, eBay charged the FVF on the item price and the shipping cost, but PayPal charged their fee on the whole transaction (includes sales tax).

In a weird way, this could hurt buyers too. If you get the same offer from someone in OR vs CA, then the OR offer is going to net you more money, thus the no and low tax states now have more attractive buyers.

That may be true, but on Ebay, you can’t choose who you sell it to.

richorlin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2021 09:01PM by richorlin.
Re: Rant: Ebay charging final value fees on the collected taxes.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 23, 2021 09:41PM
It's been that way on eBay for quite a while.

Soon the they'll be sending you a 1099 if you sell over $600 on eBay or Etsy regardless of whether it's just a personal item or not from what I've read, you think the gov't for that one. Maybe it'll bring back better yard sales.

It used to be this:
How much can you sell on eBay before you get a 1099 in 2021?
If you make more than $20,000 in gross sales and have 200 or more transactions on eBay, you should receive a 1099-K form reporting this income to the IRS.

Beginning in January 2022, anyone who sells more than $600 worth of goods through on the online auction site or rivals like Etsy or Facebook Marketplace will receive a 1099-K form, detailing the transactions for the IRS.

[money.com]

My wife just told me that all this $600 stuff may have been changed this week.

Grateful11
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 23, 2021 10:33PM
In CA grocery stores charge sales tax on the CRV beverage container recycling/deposit fee. And you don't get sales tax back when you turn in the bottles/cans for cash.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 24, 2021 12:02AM
Grateful11

Soon the they'll be sending you a 1099 if you sell over $600 on eBay or Etsy regardless of whether it's just a personal item or not from what I've read, you think the gov't for that one. Maybe it'll bring back better yard sales.

It used to be this:
If you make more than $20,000 in gross sales and have 200 or more transactions on eBay, you should receive a 1099-K form reporting this income to the IRS.

Beginning in January 2022, anyone who sells more than $600 worth of goods through on the online auction site or rivals like Etsy or Facebook Marketplace will receive a 1099-K form, detailing the transactions for the IRS.

[money.com]

In my case, it's hobby related. But thanks to the Billionaire Tax Cut of 2018, little old me reselling a few toys to finance my own collection of said toys can no longer deduct expenses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2021 12:09AM by Acer.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 24, 2021 01:36AM
GGD
In CA grocery stores charge sales tax on the CRV beverage container recycling/deposit fee. And you don't get sales tax back when you turn in the bottles/cans for cash.

sounds like theft to me.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: chopper
Date: October 24, 2021 08:08AM
I knew the good old days of eBay were over when they iced PP and wanted to link 100% to your bank account.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: October 24, 2021 10:14AM
I haven't sold on ebay in years but have some items that i need to list while they still have some type of value.

I clicked the "SELL" link on the App by mistake and saw that they don't charge a listing fee for the first 200 items per month but with all this other crap they still get their money on the back end....

Some of it is musical equipment electronics so seriously thinking about specialty selling site like ReVerb, for a couple of the items. Other pieces need the ebay traffic to get a decent average asking price.

Maybe i will go ahead and jump in starting in November
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 24, 2021 10:32AM
richorlin
Gareth

That may be true, but on Ebay, you can’t choose who you sell it to.

You “can” if you use buy-it-now with best offer with the BIN price set a bit too high so that everyone makes offers and then you can choose the offer to accept. Might not be worth the effort, and the location isn’t always accurate but it is sort of possible.
Posted by: decay
Date: October 24, 2021 10:54AM
Grateful11

It used to be this:

[money.com]

By all means, let's go after people making over $600 a year on the side.

But let's not make those making millions & billions pay their share, that would be unfair.

/sarc

---
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 24, 2021 08:00PM
decay
Grateful11

Soon they'll be sending you a 1099 if you sell over $600 on eBay or Etsy regardless of whether it's just a personal item or not from what I've read, you think the gov't for that one. Maybe it'll bring back better yard sales.

It used to be this:

[money.com]

By all means, let's go after people making over $600 a year on the side.

But let's not make those making millions & billions pay their share, that would be unfair.

/sarc

Exactly!

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020