The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
20 years ago today... the iPod
Posted by: hal
Date: October 23, 2021 05:07PM
20 years??? that can't be right...

[9to5mac.com]

On October 23, 2001 Steve Jobs walked out on onto the Town Hall stage at 4 Infinite Loop in Cupertino and introduced the very first iPod. There’s no question that the industry was slightly confused at Apple’s decision to make an MP3 player. After all, the company was best known for making big colorful computers not sleek white little boxes that fit in your pocket.

What the media didn’t realize at the time was that it was a natural next step for the company and Steve knew exactly what he was doing. There’s that famous story about the executive team, Jon Rubinstein in particular, discovering the small 5GB hard drive made by Toshiba. It was a clear indication that the industry was really stepping on the gas when it came to miniaturization. The iPod was the perfect kind of device for consumers to get introduced to an Apple product that goes with you everywhere. It was friendly, personal, and unlike anything anyone else had ever made.

The first few years of iPod were fairly slow. The device was expensive at $399 and only played music. At that time it was hard to justify unless you were an audiophile or loved music and had money burning a hole in your pocket. iPod really took off once it was made compatible with Windows. Apple added the ability to sync your iPod with a Windows computer with the second generation model and a year later they introduced iTunes for Windows streamlining the experience. In the blink of an eye, the iPod became a gateway drug for Windows users to get hooked on Apple products.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 20 years ago today... the iPod
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 23, 2021 05:48PM
Wow, 20 years.

I still have my 5GB original with its FW cable and charger. Even a 2012 Mini with a FW port to put songs on there. If the drive still works... And a second replacement battery from our sponsors (first one is installed already), but that's been in the package for 10 years so it probably doesn't work any more.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 23, 2021 06:18PM
It was twenty years ago today
Mr. Jobs taught the Mac to play...

It is what it is.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: October 23, 2021 06:27PM
I have the 20GB, click-wheel FW iPod. I am thinking (?) it is probably the largest iPod that was made based on dimensions of the device (not hard drive space, of course), then they started getting smaller again. I'll have to dig it out later and see if it still powers up on the FW cable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2021 06:32PM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 23, 2021 06:35PM
Have my 5gb near my bedside table. Charged it just last week and it takes a charge with the 15ish year old battery.

These original iPods also sound fantastic! I have to readjust once every few years when I plug in headphones. My phone supposedly has a real good dac but this 5gigger sounds even better.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 23, 2021 07:26PM
I still have a 60GB iPod Photo. I'd like to find where I can get a micro SSD or Compact Flash card as well as a new battery to give it a second life. I think ifixit has a tutorial for swapping out the parts (and, if I'm lucky, a way to transfer my content from the HD to an SSD). old fogey smiley
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 23, 2021 08:51PM
testcase
I still have a 60GB iPod Photo. I'd like to find where I can get a micro SSD or Compact Flash card as well as a new battery to give it a second life.

I have the same iPod and made this upgrade to it a few years ago. Here's where I got my SSD adapter: [www.iflash.xyz]

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2021 08:52PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 24, 2021 10:59AM
Got one for Christmas that year.

Loved it. Have bought many since then.

Still have a classic & several shuffles.

Just ran across this pic the other day...

With my 22" ACD in the background.

I think I sold my original 5 GB for parts when it died.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020