advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Laser Writer II
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 24, 2021 11:14PM
“ Before the days of Apple Genius Bar appointments booked online, when your MacBook finked out in New York City you schlepped it down to Tekserve on West 23rd Street, where you pushed a lever for a numbered ticket, as if you were at Zabar's smoked fish counter. Then, surrounded by other Mac users distressed by coffee spills and un-backed-up data, you settled into a fold-down wooden theater seat until your number flashed on the screen of a re-purposed Macintosh. Sometimes it was a very long wait.
I never thought I'd look back on those lost, scruffy days with nostalgia — until Tamara Shopsin's unusual and oddly moving debut novel, LaserWriter II, brought it all back to me. “

[www.npr.org]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Laser Writer II
Posted by: August West
Date: October 24, 2021 11:28PM
:-)

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 25, 2021 01:29AM
How many different shades of gray can a LW II print?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 25, 2021 02:40AM
I will definitely buy that book.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 25, 2021 06:27AM
....50 shades....of gray.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 25, 2021 09:55AM
I seldom buy new hardcover books, but this one will be an exception. Thanks!

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 25, 2021 10:19AM
Filliam H. Muffman
How many different shades of gray can a LW II print?

NewtonMP2100
....50 shades....of gray.....??

16 shades initially. Thirty and 50 in later models if you had enough RAM.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 25, 2021 12:28PM
Oh..... I remember my LaswerWriter IIg!
It was a BEAST! Great printer, until it started to paper jam in ways I could not fix with a roller kit.

I think it cost me $50 used...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 25, 2021 02:37PM
Paul F.,

I still remember getting the carcass of many Laserwriter II series machines and swapping the original motherboards for IIg motherboards. That allowed them to be thrown onto an ethernet network on the cheap in comparison to new printers. Worked out beautifully!

Robert
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 25, 2021 03:05PM
Robert M
Paul F.,

I still remember getting the carcass of many Laserwriter II series machines and swapping the original motherboards for IIg motherboards. That allowed them to be thrown onto an ethernet network on the cheap in comparison to new printers. Worked out beautifully!

Robert

I made that conversion for work at least once... probably years after keeping a LW II alive was really worthwhile, LOL.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 25, 2021 06:38PM
Ditto here, swapped our two LWIIntx mobo's for IIg's, and did a third w/ a hand-me-down LWII. Not the highest speed printers compared to current gear, but incredibly durable, and excellent print quality. Very frustrated when they couldn't be easily resuscitated, but donated them to good causes. Was also sad when the HP LJ's went toes up.... donated the LJ4mp to local school when it was replaced w/ LJ6mp, then held onto that one until it was beyond fixin' w/o serious professional help.
==
Posted by: Diana
Date: October 26, 2021 10:56AM
Paul F.
Oh..... I remember my LaswerWriter IIg!
It was a BEAST! Great printer, until it started to paper jam in ways I could not fix with a roller kit.

I think it cost me $50 used...

I was given one that “didn’t work” — found a tiny scrap of paper that didn’t get removed from a prior paper jam. After removal, that thing ran like a champ and I printed my dissertation on it. I still have it; it’s just that more modern machines have trouble with it so it was taken out of service.
Posted by: apocketfulofwry
Date: October 26, 2021 11:03PM
Don't forget the 10¢ bottles of Coke.

The author is the daughter of another slice of bygone New York. Her father, Kenny, was the owner/chef of Shopsin's General Store, a quirky diner in what was once a corner grocery store in Greenwich Village. The 'decor' was the groceries that were left on the shelves when after he, and his wife, Eve, converted it from a grocery to a restaurant.

The 900+ items on the menu were just as quirky, and the owner, and his diner, but the food was great.

[www.newyorker.com]

[www.newyorker.com]

Shopsin was forced to relocate after he lost his lease, and after a brief stint on Carmine Street, Shopsin's landed in the Essex Market where his kids now do the cooking.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020