advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hertz Orders 100,000 Electric Vehicles From Tesla
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 25, 2021 09:51AM
And TSLA soars! eye twitch smiley (wish I had bought some way back then)

[www.cnbc.com]

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hertz Orders 100,000 Electric Vehicles From Tesla
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 25, 2021 10:04AM
Interesting. And of course they will bill for use of the drivers assist licensed features. And have to install superchargers at each of their facilities.

But… the reduced maintenance costs will definitely save them some money.
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 25, 2021 10:18AM
cbelt3
Interesting. And of course they will bill for use of the drivers assist licensed features. And have to install superchargers at each of their facilities.

But… the reduced maintenance costs will definitely save them some money.

Also interesting will be how the customers will "return it with a full tank".

Not quite as easy as a quick stop at a gas station a few miles away as you're rushing to return the car and catch your flight.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 25, 2021 10:23AM
Tom Brady to showcase Tesla vehicles in new Hertz ads starting today…

[www.google.com]
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 25, 2021 10:29AM
That's 1/4 of the annual production of M3 vehicles at Fremont. No wonder Teslas are back-ordered until August next year and used ones are selling for more than new ones.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: October 25, 2021 10:31AM
Giga Austin can’t come online soon enough! We have plans to get a Plaid X and 3 motor Cybertruck next year.
Date: October 25, 2021 10:32AM
Cybertruck won't be in production until late 2022, and limited production at that.

Posted by: chopper
Date: October 25, 2021 11:20AM
I know some motorcycle racers who rent cars every week during the season. And now we will be truly testing these battery buggies to see how they hold up.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 25, 2021 11:28AM
This seems like a big number, but I wonder how many cars a year Hertz buys. Is this 10% of their normal purchase? 50%? 2%?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 25, 2021 11:38AM
davester
This seems like a big number, but I wonder how many cars a year Hertz buys. Is this 10% of their normal purchase? 50%? 2%?

I don't know, but, I suspect they are still recovering from selling off a huge percentage of their fleet in 2020 in order to survive.
I doubt they'll be back to "normal" purchasing for another couple years.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 25, 2021 11:45AM
In the US, they have, give or take, 400K vehicles in their fleet. So this is 25%. Not sure what the annual turnover is--maybe 25%?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 25, 2021 12:22PM
I wonder how Hertz will deal with the idiots who run the battery to zero in the middle of nowhere. Where I live the nearest public charger is a 90-minute roundtrip.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 25, 2021 12:33PM
Ombligo
I wonder how Hertz will deal with the idiots who run the battery to zero in the middle of nowhere. Where I live the nearest public charger is a 90-minute roundtrip.

i wonder how many rentals ever use up a full tank of gas. Perhaps the average rental isn't really driven all that far. Like from an airport to a conference and back.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 25, 2021 12:33PM
Ombligo
Where I live the nearest public charger is a 90-minute roundtrip.

You live in Eastern Montana?
OK, kidding... but, the gaps that big are getting few and far between now.
[www.tesla.com]

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: October 25, 2021 01:20PM
Rick-o

[www.cnbc.com]

Mother of Maui....$1026 now!

Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 25, 2021 01:30PM
Carnos Jax
Rick-o

[www.cnbc.com]

Mother of Maui....$1026 now!

All smiles over here! wiggle smiley
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 25, 2021 01:39PM
Good thing TSLA isn't volatile or anything!
Date: October 25, 2021 01:39PM
That's why we're in it for the long haul. Though we bought in 2016/2017, we didn't flinch whenever it went down. Not even back in spring of 2019 when it was around $40 (split adjusted). If anything we add during the dips. Everyone was selling, we were buying. And we put everything we had, all of our savings and retirement. We knew the fundamentals were sound, so we weren't even worried (it was academic to us at that point).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2021 01:45PM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: October 25, 2021 02:13PM
davester

I heard 20%

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: October 25, 2021 02:15PM
I'm glad to see Tesla is leading the charge, (see what I did there?)!

As mentioned above, 'full tank returns' will be interesting, they may have to rewrite some policies.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 25, 2021 02:16PM
graylocks
Ombligo

i wonder how many rentals ever use up a full tank of gas. Perhaps the average rental isn't really driven all that far. Like from an airport to a conference and back.

My experience with Hertz is that they never actually refuel the cars, they just give you the car with whatever gas the last person returned it with and say "bring it back at the same level". Which is a real pain when they give it to you with 1/4 or less of a tank. Much easier when they give it to you full and you return it full.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 25, 2021 02:37PM
GGD
My experience with Hertz is that they never actually refuel the cars, they just give you the car with whatever gas the last person returned it with and say "bring it back at the same level".

That has never happened to me.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 25, 2021 02:42PM
Lux Interior
Good thing TSLA isn't volatile or anything!

It can only increase!
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 25, 2021 03:20PM
Lux Interior
GGD
My experience with Hertz is that they never actually refuel the cars, they just give you the car with whatever gas the last person returned it with and say "bring it back at the same level".

I've never gotten a rental with less than a full tank. OTOH, i rarely rent from Hertz or Avis as there as less expensive options for basic transportation. Still, the tank starts off full.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 25, 2021 05:45PM
GGD
graylocks
Ombligo

My experience with Hertz is that they never actually refuel the cars, they just give you the car with whatever gas the last person returned it with and say "bring it back at the same level". Which is a real pain when they give it to you with 1/4 or less of a tank. Much easier when they give it to you full and you return it full.

Enterprise does that. I think it's dishonest.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: October 25, 2021 05:49PM
Tesla keeps a buffer they can activate when someone does this now.... but people still brick the cars after the 'bonus activation'. I'd bet they put a little more buffer in reserve for emergency activation to cover the renting public.

FWIW - in the over 8 years I've now driven a Tesla, never once ran it to zero. I did get close.... was down to 7 miles on a long trip where Google Maps had the address location wrong by about 10 miles (Tesla was using Google)... Apple maps was correct, but was still +20 miles round trip. Never came that close again. Guess can add- part of the debacle was I would normally have had a larger buffer if not for the losing time in the morning finding where the Superchargers were. I had planned for the stop... but was first time and was looking for the Tesla sign.... eventually found them tucked away beyond the hotel they partnered with for the location... couldn't see from street.

Anyway - i think it's great... I've also been impressed with the Honda Accord Hybrid I've gotten on a rental.

Ombligo

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 25, 2021 06:52PM
Lux Interior
GGD

Nor me; with any rental agency.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: October 25, 2021 11:13PM
Lux Interior

I've encountered this several times, but not for the past couple of years, at least. There was a place on the form to circle the fuel level. But it was awkward to judge just how much to fill it before returning. Much more straightforward to pick up full and return the same.
Date: October 26, 2021 07:32AM
What’s interesting to me is that this represents no material benefit to Tesla. They sold 100k vehicles at full price. They can’t keep up with demand now. This just adds to the supply issue. Currently Model Y is back ordered into August/September of NEXT YEAR. There’s a reason they’ve added factories on three continents.

Posted by: sekker
Date: October 26, 2021 08:45AM
ztirffritz
What’s interesting to me is that this represents no material benefit to Tesla. They sold 100k vehicles at full price. They can’t keep up with demand now. This just adds to the supply issue. Currently Model Y is back ordered into August/September of NEXT YEAR. There’s a reason they’ve added factories on three continents.

The stock price is a guess on the future. This sale suggests the pace of change to EVs is accelerating, and Tesla is about to be the number one supplier globally for a massive market.

Seems like a good bet that Tesla will continue to be worth more. And that’s what the stock market is saying too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020