advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
so, I find the whole bi-focal, tri-focal, progressive lens thing confusing and here's why
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 25, 2021 04:10PM
I need glasses to see distance, I'm near-sighted. I have never had more than single vision glasses but I'm unable to see anything at close distance. However, I get around this by just using narrow framed eyeglasses so I can look below the lens to read. There is some downside to this: I knock over a bunch of things now, when I can't easily judge the distance. Not as big of a deal as it may seem. Well, except for that nice bowl. And plate. Hmm. But, I do not need reading glasses yet, anyway. Most or all of my peers do now, and I have been wondering if I am unusual in this respect. My eyes get some exercise by not relying on corrective lenses for everything. Again, at the moment, I suppose it could change in a few years. But, I'm working on finding the thinnest framed glasses I can to make this work. To return to contact lenses, I would certainly have to use reading glasses, but perhaps I never will return to using contacts.

anyone else here in the same boat?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: so, I find the whole bi-focal, tri-focal, progressive lens thing confusing and here's why
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 25, 2021 04:49PM
When I was 49, I was having problems reading and decided I needed a new prescription. The optometrist was impressed at how close I could focus with my glasses on for my age. But it was time if I didn't want daily headaches, she recommended progressive lenses.

It has been discussed before, there are different quality lenses. Don't cheap out like I did with my first pair. I still don't like them because of how they mess with my depth perception, but it's better than not being able to read the dash or radio dials.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Re: so, I find the whole bi-focal, tri-focal, progressive lens thing confusing and here's why
Posted by: hal
Date: October 25, 2021 04:52PM
If you can handle Bill Cosby these days, his Trifocals routine is hilarious:

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 25, 2021 05:15PM
I went to the expensive progressive lenses and have never looked back after trying bifocals. A pair of 'computer glasses' are sitting upstairs waiting for me to set up my Mac Mini and work laptop again.

I did get a pair of driving glasses with a yellow tint that work really well to improve my night vision. The only downside is I can't see the dashboard or phone on the dashboard too well. But I sure dodged that suicidal squirrel last night.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 25, 2021 06:14PM
But, I do not need reading glasses yet, anyway. Most or all of my peers do now, and I have been wondering if I am unusual in this respect.

Are you seventy?

Then your situation might be unusual.

Usually starting at 40, presbyopia, the inability to focus closely, comes a-creepin' around. Slowly, one's arms aren't long enough to hold something in focus, and reading glasses become more and more necessary.

For some people, it takes longer to start, and longer to be annoying or problematic.

Without any correction, nearsighted people can focus very close, and the more nearsighted the closer they can focus, and often the longer they can go without reading glasses.

But corrected for distance only, not so much.

A lot of nearsighted people lift their 'distance' glasses up to focus closely, but that got old for me.

I use progressive lenses and adapted instantly, and am not sure I'd be so lucky with multi-vision glass (as opposed to variable vision that I have now).

But maybe some fashionable non-binary fly specs (lol) are in your future:

Back in the day 'pimp shades' were very popular, but that might have been more form than function.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 25, 2021 08:33PM
cbelt3
I went to the expensive progressive lenses and have never looked back after trying bifocals.

Funny, I could say exactly the opposite. Progressives were the biggest waste of money I ever tried. Bifocals for me anyday.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 25, 2021 09:27PM
Ombligo… I could not train my brain to ignore the darned line. Drove me bonkers.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 26, 2021 07:23AM
cbelt3
Ombligo… I could not train my brain to ignore the darned line. Drove me bonkers.

ahh.. after 37 years of marriage, my brain automatically defaults to ignoring everything.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 27, 2021 07:44AM
Ombligo
cbelt3

ahh.. after 37 years of marriage, my brain automatically defaults to ignoring everything.

37 and counting? Or just 37?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 133
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020