advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Preview Doesn't See my Scanner
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 26, 2021 09:41AM
While my iMac is in repair limbo I've been working on my M1 MBA. I have two brother MFC printers that i've been scanning in Preview on the iMac for years with no problems. it's magic.

I can print from the MBA but Preview doesn't recognize that both printers have scanner functions. In Settings both printers appear and there's even a separate function for Faxing for the laser printer.

It's all going through Airprint. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the printers but it hasn't helped. Fortunately Preview can scan/import with my iphone so my task of the the day got done but I'd like to to know the MBA can't scan with the printers.

Image Capture doesn't see the scanner functions either.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Preview Doesn't See my Scanner
Posted by: raz
Date: October 26, 2021 09:50AM
try VueScan?

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 26, 2021 10:05AM
I use the CUPS system & works fine but I'm on a cMP not a M1.
Not knowing your MFC info, this is all I can offer: Brother macOS Monterey Support

...on Mojave, ethernet connected to MFC & a Brother Laser.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2021 10:07AM by MrNoBody.
Date: October 26, 2021 10:22AM
MrNoBody
I use the CUPS system & works fine but I'm on a cMP not a M1.
Not knowing your MFC info, this is all I can offer: Brother macOS Monterey Support

That was useful in that it lead me to find a similar page for Big Sur which is what this MBA and my iMac are on. The Big Sur page doesn't list the J430w as being supported and the L2700DW is one of the ones directed to using Brothers iPrint & Scan. That'd not on this MBA but I did have it on the iMac. I don't scan often but I do think Preview was scanning with both those printers under Big Sur.

Thanks. For my infrequent scanning the iphone import option is fine though my technique tends to skew the picture a bit.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 26, 2021 10:23AM
I had to download new drivers from the UK to get my Canon scanner to work. The US drivers would not work. This was not documented by Canon support, I discovered it on a forum.

Perhaps your brother has a similar issue?

You could also try Printer/scanner preference panel (System preferences - printer scanner) select your printer and then select the scanner button. You'll likely want to pick the advance options to set everything as you want.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 26, 2021 10:23AM
Graylocks,

Image Scanner and Preview use the same system. If one can't see the all-in-one, the other won't see it either. This sounds like a driver issue rather than an issue with the hardware of either the all-in-one or the MBA. How did you install the printer on the MBA? Full driver installation or just let the machine find it and set it up?

Robert
Date: October 26, 2021 11:48AM
Robert M
Graylocks,

Image Scanner and Preview use the same system. If one can't see the all-in-one, the other won't see it either. This sounds like a driver issue rather than an issue with the hardware of either the all-in-one or the MBA. How did you install the printer on the MBA? Full driver installation or just let the machine find it and set it up?

Robert

The MBA found the L2700 laser on its own. I added the J430w today through settings.

Posted by: btfc
Date: October 26, 2021 12:10PM
Can you scan through the Printers & Scanners preference window?

[setapp.com]
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: October 26, 2021 12:11PM
Have you tried cmd-space bar, type “image capture”, hit enter?
Date: October 26, 2021 12:17PM
rich in distress
Have you tried cmd-space bar, type “image capture”, hit enter?

as i've said, I already opened Image Scanner. It doesn't see them either.

Date: October 26, 2021 12:20PM
Graylocks,

Bet you need a driver for it. Maybe this will work:

[support.brother.com]

Robert
Date: October 26, 2021 01:04PM
btfc
Can you scan through the Printers & Scanners preference window?

[setapp.com]

This article appears to be from January 2020. Don't know what OS they are referencing. There is no option to Print or Scan in Printers & Scanners in Big Sur Settings.

I happen to have my iMac which the Apple Store Genuises wiped clean so I could troubleshoot the issue I'm having from scratch. Though I just added the laser printer it is behaving just like the MBA; there's no scanning option. I know I have scanned in Big Sur on it but it may have been before i updated to the latest version. I was several iterations behind.

Posted by: btfc
Date: October 26, 2021 01:14PM
From Apple support re: Big Sur

“ Open your scanner
Connect your scanner to your Mac, plug it in, and turn it on.
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.
Select your scanner in the list at the left, then click Open Scanner on the right.
If your scanner is also a printer, you may need to click Scan on the right before you can click Open Scanner.
If you don’t see an Open Scanner button, you may need to set up your scanner, or check the documentation that came with your scanner to see how to perform scans. “

[support.apple.com]
Date: October 26, 2021 02:56PM
btfc
From Apple support re: Big Sur

“ Open your scanner
Connect your scanner to your Mac, plug it in, and turn it on.
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.
Select your scanner in the list at the left, then click Open Scanner on the right.
If your scanner is also a printer, you may need to click Scan on the right before you can click Open Scanner.
If you don’t see an Open Scanner button, you may need to set up your scanner, or check the documentation that came with your scanner to see how to perform scans. “

[support.apple.com]

So in other words, it can't be done over Airprint like I have done in the past?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2021 02:56PM by graylocks.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 26, 2021 03:06PM
I had a similar issue under Big Sur. Was an issue with permissions set for the scanner software.

This is the fix:

[discussions.apple.com]
Date: October 26, 2021 03:16PM
sekker
I had a similar issue under Big Sur. Was an issue with permissions set for the scanner software.

This is the fix:

[discussions.apple.com]

I cannot find this:

~/Library/Image Capture/Devices/Brother Scanner.app,

Nothing in library is called Image Capture...

Posted by: space-time
Date: October 26, 2021 04:02PM
There are 2 library folders, one in your user account and on on the hard drive (I mean SSD). The later is for all users. Look in both places.
Date: October 26, 2021 04:07PM
space-time
There are 2 library folders, one in your user account and on on the hard drive (I mean SSD). The later is for all users. Look in both places.

Ah! The good news is I found the Image Capture folder in the hard drive library. The bad news is the Devices folder is empty.

does this mean i need to find a Brother Driver?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2021 04:08PM by graylocks.
Date: October 26, 2021 05:10PM
Graylocks,

Didn't you look at my post? I gave you a link on Brother's web site that brings you directly to the driver(s) for your all-in-one.

Robert
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 26, 2021 05:36PM
Robert M
Graylocks,

Didn't you look at my post? I gave you a link on Brother's web site that brings you directly to the driver(s) for your all-in-one.

Robert

What he said.
Date: October 26, 2021 06:00PM
Robert M
Graylocks,

Robert

somehow i had missed it. Got there now. Installed the scanner driver for OS 10.15 as that was the highest listed. Afterwards both MFC printers showed but neither worked. Went into library and adjusted permissions after which the J430 worked (yay). Went back to Brother and found the scanner for the L2700 which showed OS 11. It actually overwrote the other driver. Adjusted permissions again but the L2700 still doesn't work however, the J430 does work with the L2700 driver so I'm good. confused but good. Thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020