advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
the American way?!....American Airlines revamps mileage program......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 26, 2021 05:23PM
.....announced today.....

American Airlines Reimagines Its AAdvantage Loyalty Program Giving Members More Ways to Earn Status

.....American is eliminating complicated elite qualifying metrics, introducing Loyalty Points where one qualifying AAdvantage® mile earned equals one Loyalty Point.

In a newly redesigned loyalty program, AAdvantage members can earn status by flying, using an AAdvantage credit card or spending with an AAdvantage partner.

Members can unlock Loyalty Choice Rewards when they earn Platinum Pro status or higher and fly at least 30 flights on American or qualifying partner airlines.

American Airlines is redesigning its award-winning AAdvantage® loyalty program, ridding it of complicated elite qualifying metrics for an easy-to-understand point system that provides multiple ways to earn status. In 2022, AAdvantage members can earn status by flying, using an AAdvantage credit card for purchases or spending with an AAdvantage partner.

“Loyalty should be simple, and we have reimagined our AAdvantage program to a single point system that provides a clear path to earning status for our members,” said Chief Customer Officer Alison Taylor. “For our loyal members, the message is simple: Earn AAdvantage miles, earn status — whether that’s by flying on American or by spending on everyday activities. We thank our members for their continued loyalty and look forward to this renewed relationship as we enter 2022.”

Achieving AAdvantage status
For every qualifying AAdvantage mile earned, members will earn one Loyalty Point. Here’s how to earn points:

Members can earn Loyalty Points by flying on American or one of its eligible partner airlines.
You can also earn Loyalty Points when you use an AAdvantage credit card for purchases.
Don’t fly often, no problem. Join fellow AAdvantage members who will earn Loyalty Points every year just by shopping online or dining out.

AAdvantage 2022 status requirements
Status Loyalty Points
Gold 30,000
Platinum 75,000
Platinum Pro 125,000
Executive Platinum 200,000

Extending status and a chance to double dip
To thank our members for their continued loyalty, American is extending all current members AAdvantage status through March 31, 2022.

And members can also double dip as any qualifying activity earned in January and February will count towards both 2022 and 2023 AAdvantage status. This gives members an extra two months to earn elite status for both years.

In the future, members will qualify for status from March through February, with status valid through March 31 of the following year.

Unlock Loyalty Choice Rewards
Next year, AAdvantage members can unlock Loyalty Choice Rewards, formerly called elite choice rewards. Loyalty Choice Rewards is a menu of rewards awarded to members that earn Platinum Pro status or higher and fly at least 30 flights on American or qualifying partner airlines.

Members can select the Loyalty Choice Reward they value the most, including an Admirals Club day pass, systemwide upgrades or bonus AAdvantage miles. Additional Loyalty Choice Rewards are available to unlock as members accrue more Loyalty Points.

the greatest......American....Hero......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: the American way?!....American Airlines revamps mileage program......
Posted by: rz
Date: October 26, 2021 06:01PM
I have something like 140,000 miles with them. Started earning with USAir. I'm hoping to use the miles to fly to Australia in a couple of years.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 26, 2021 08:16PM
We have about 240,000 miles with American. We haven't paid for a flight in years. Everything we buy is with AAdvantage credit card, so the miles build. My fear is American will raise the reward level to help their bottom line. American is struggling financially and the 4th quarter is suppose to be even worse for them.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 26, 2021 08:43PM
Just shy of 600,000 miles. If not for Covid, I’d be closer to 725,000. Not complaining as it was nice not traveling for a while.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 26, 2021 09:40PM
It sounds like they've taken their rewards program back to the way it was before it's previous revamp a few years ago.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 27, 2021 07:36AM
I thought American went out of business or merged with someone years ago.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 27, 2021 07:52AM
One of the smartest people I ever worked for (Physicist on the Manhattan project) had a Pan Am Million Mile award in his office. It was a trophy showing a DC-6. He earned it in 1952. A million miles in piston powered aircraft. Not including the hundreds of thousands of miles he flew during the war getting things made for the Trinity test...
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 27, 2021 10:36AM
Thrift Store Scott
It sounds like they've taken their rewards program back to the way it was before it's previous revamp a few years ago.

Not really, the use of the word "miles" is totally misleading now. In this latest program, distance flown has no value, it's all about money spent, and now a bit more emphasis on money spent using their credit cards. With these new rules you could actually achieve elite status levels without ever stepping onto an airplane, although if you don't fly, that status doesn't have much benefit.

The "miles" earned from flights are based on ticket cost before taxes, and they multiply that cost by 5 to get "base miles". If you have elite status you get bonus miles on top of that based on your level. For credit card purchases you get 1 "mile" per dollar spent, although it looks like there's one card that gets half that, 1 "mile" per $2 spent.

One thing that seems to really help getting "miles" quicker is flying Business/First class. Those double the "miles" you would have gotten in coach, so that's the cheapest cost per "mile", 10 miles per dollar if you have no status, 22 miles per dollar if you're Executive Platinum. Of course the tickets are much more expensive but this is one extra bit of value you're getting for that high price. I think I'm totally wrong on this, the doubling for Business in the old program was for Elite Qualifying Miles, not Dollars.

And this announcement is all about earning "miles" and elite status, no changes announced for the other end of the deal, spending the "miles" for trips.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2021 01:57PM by GGD.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020