advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Time machine madness…
Posted by: jonny
Date: October 26, 2021 10:23PM
OK. I have a 250 GB internal drive 200 of which is full. I have a 1 TB external Time machine back up drive. I just went to create a new time machine back up and I am told that my external drive is full. WTF?? Isn't time machine supposed to delete old back ups as needed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2021 10:25PM by jonny.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Time machine madness…
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 26, 2021 10:35PM
You are doing manual backups? Or just letting TM do its thing?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 26, 2021 10:39PM
jonny
OK. I have a 250 GB internal drive 200 of which is full. I have a 1 TB external Time machine back up drive. I just went to create a new time machine back up and I am told that my external drive is full. WTF?? Isn't time machine supposed to delete old back ups as needed?

It just about fills the backup volume first, then rolls old backups to free enough capacity for the next backup.

"As needed."

And if you copy files to that backup drive, it'll mess up the Time Machine backups because Time Machine doesn't take into account the capacity used by those files when calculating how much space to free up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2021 10:41PM by Sarcany.
Date: October 26, 2021 10:39PM
Manual. I keep my drive off-site.
Date: October 26, 2021 10:40PM
Sarcany
jonny

It just about fills the backup volume first, then rolls old backups to free enough capacity for the next backup.

"As needed."

I think it needs serious help with its 'rolling'.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 26, 2021 10:41PM
jonny
Sarcany
jonny

"As needed."

See the paragraph that I added at the end with my edit.

Posted by: jdc
Date: October 26, 2021 10:46PM
How much space is left on the drive?

You shoudnt need to force it to backup after you plug it in, TM will start on its own...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: October 26, 2021 10:46PM
Sarcany
jonny
Sarcany
jonny

"As needed."

Good to know! I do have about 100GB of files on there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2021 10:49PM by jonny.
Date: October 26, 2021 11:45PM
Sarcany
jonny
Sarcany
jonny

"As needed."

That did it! You are a scholar and a gentleman.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020