advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Smishing Scams?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 27, 2021 08:53AM
So I get an email this morning from my credit union with the subject line 'Beware of Smishing Scams.

It first I thought the email was a phishing scam for some illiterate ne'er do well.

It turns out SMiSishg scams are a thing — phishing via text.

For the last two weeks, I've been getting at least one Message every day that my Apple/att/Costco/Home Depot account has been breached, hacked, free prize needs to be unclaimed/locked and I just need to 'click the link' to verify...'

The 'sender' is always a string of 0s and 1s, sometimes with a hyphen, sometimes not.

I see the text in preview on the Lock Screen, and delete it without ever reading it, but still they come.

I wish there were a toggle to Receive Text Only from Contacts.

Phishing texts were a rare thing for me, but now they're hunting me.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Smishing Scams?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 27, 2021 09:26AM
You can "filter" unknown senders for people who are not in your contacts. I've never used it so I don't know how well it works.

Posted by: testcase
Date: October 27, 2021 02:45PM
Old news

Virtually ANY emails or texts I receive go UNANSWERED unless I know the sender and am expecting to be contacted. In the case you cite, I would, on a fresh tab, go directly to my Credit Union. If they actually originated said missive, there should be some mention of it, whether on their Home Page or in YOUR "Messages" folder. Don't see it? I'd PHONE said CU to ask if they did send an alert (or make them aware that THEY and their customers are being targeted by scammers). On "private" messages, I'll call the sender and ask if THEY really sent the message in question (often a Cat or some other MEME).
Date: October 27, 2021 04:21PM
Virtually ANY emails or texts I receive go UNANSWERED unless I know the sender and am expecting to be contacted.

Older news.

I know phishing texts aren't new, it's the smishing term that's new/news to me.

I also know how to verify the veracity of a text, and these rash of smishes are instantly identifiable as fake.

The difference with a text vs email, is that the sender (at least in messages) gets a 'Delivered' notification whether it's read or not, and a 'Read' notification if it is.

So I can examine a phishmail and forward it to the actual 'sender' without encouraging the phisher.

I can delete a text without reading it, again so as not to encourage more of the same.

In the time I've had mobiles (c.2000) I haven't had a half-dozen texts.

That changed a couple of weeks ago, and I've had more than one a day, some times three.

You can "filter" unknown senders for people who are not in your contacts. I've never used it so I don't know how well it works.

Thanks b-man, I'll look into that.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: richorlin
Date: October 27, 2021 08:52PM
‘ You can "filter" unknown senders for people who are not in your contacts. I've never used it so I don't know how well it works.’
That will also filter texts re your upcoming doctor’s appointment, texts from your HOA, texts from your bank, etc. You can’t put everyone on your contacts list or it will become unmanageable. Just saying…

richorlin
Date: October 27, 2021 10:04PM
That will also filter texts re your upcoming doctor’s appointment, texts from your HOA, texts from your bank, etc. You can’t put everyone on your contacts list or it will become unmanageable. Just saying…

That occurred to me, but almost all of that is handled via my email.

But yes, even putting some businesses in Contacts won't always help, as many have a lot of 'unlisted' outgoing numbers and only one or two listed phone numbers for incoming calls.

The same may apply for receiving a code for 2F

Relying on those could mean missing calls when the outbound numbers are used.

That may be a chance I have to take.

When given a choice of using text or email for notifications, I alway choose email.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020