advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Possible PSA: bad day to update any Apple system software?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 27, 2021 10:58AM
I’m assuming the servers are slammed, because I am 15 minutes into trying to update Safari on my one Big Sur Mac. The update is not good for my inner tranquility, as it seemed to crap out and start over at least four times. Now I’m looking at a countdown bar that seems to be crawling along normally.

I guess everyone is choking on Monterey.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Possible PSA: bad day to update any Apple system software?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 27, 2021 11:09AM
FWIW, I did the smaller Big Sur update (11.6.1) this AM without any problems; back up and running within about 10 minutes.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 27, 2021 11:21AM
FWIW, I received an email from Apple today reminding me (and probably millions of others) to update to iOS 15. So, yes possibly a bad day.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 27, 2021 12:06PM
Turns out that it decided to install the 11.6.1 update as well, although I had only checked Safari…

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 27, 2021 01:53PM
ka jowct
Turns out that it decided to install the 11.6.1 update as well, although I had only checked Safari…

Many of the Reddit accounts I've read about upgrading to Monterey state that installation of the 11.6.1 upgrade was required before Monterey would install. I'm guessing 11.6.1 includes a security update that Monterey does not and that Apple requires both to be installed as a result.

It is what it is.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 27, 2021 03:18PM
Thanks for the post. I had been putting off upgrading to 11.6 and thought about doing it today. I guess I will put it off a while longer.

Posted by: clay
Date: October 27, 2021 03:38PM
any glitch/slowness during an install shouldn't be interpreted as issues with Apple's "systems". Apple delivers software with a distributed system of 100's of individual nodes. Your local node might be a bit sluggish on release day if lots of others are downloading nearby, but there won't normally be any sustained sluggishness. Certainly, Apple is experienced with delivering software efficiently, so I'm more likely to suspect a more local issue when someone reports issues -- with their local ISP, your home network, etc. Apple has issues, to be sure, but there is a lot of redundancy and healing built into their infrastructure.
Posted by: heap1
Date: October 28, 2021 02:19AM
N-OS X-tasy!
ka jowct

Many of the Reddit accounts I've read about upgrading to Monterey state that installation of the 11.6.1 upgrade was required before Monterey would install. I'm guessing 11.6.1 includes a security update that Monterey does not and that Apple requires both to be installed as a result.

Not sure that is accurate. I had no problems updating directly from 11.6 to Monterey. I think the 11.6.1 update is mainly for people that can't or don't want to upgrade their computer to Monterey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2021 02:30AM by heap1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020