advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
my fave trait of cats
Posted by: Fritz
Date: October 28, 2021 07:36AM
immediately after 3x bottoms up, he looks at me, muows like there's no tmrw, ready for another meal or 4.
"Pay no attention to the hurl behind the curtain ..."

!#$@@$#!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: my fave trait of cats
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 28, 2021 09:27AM
Fritz
immediately after 3x bottoms up, he looks at me, muows like there's no tmrw, ready for another meal or 4.
"Pay no attention to the hurl behind the curtain ..."

That's one reason why I'm reticent to get another cat- I've been extremely lucky with the ones I've had so far: They've all been reasonably laid-back, affectionate, and not one of them has been prone to hurling. The way I figure it, I'm overdue for a psychopathic cat that attacks me out of nowhere, won't let me touch it, and leaves piles of cat yack all over the house.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: October 28, 2021 09:30AM
I do not miss the 3am ice cold hairball piles between my toes...
Date: October 28, 2021 09:31AM
we've never had a kook, but cats hurl on occasion.
as the vet said, "dietary indiscretion", bird or chipmonk.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Diana
Date: October 28, 2021 02:51PM
As far as the cold ice-balls of *SHUDDER* I've learned to turn on the light when I get up at night. It can help prevent a strategically placed hair ball or other vomited "present" from getting stepped on.

I've had cats most of my life. The only kooks or crazies I have had were those that came to me as a feral, or those that lived through life-changing experiences (one nearly froze as a kitten, one was the only survivor of a dog attack as a unweaned kitten that killed all her siblings, more than one was on its own (homeless) for an extended period of time, one was kicked out after being declawed and nearly starved to death). Most came around and became more affectionate. A few did not, no matter what.

Time, gentleness, calmness, quiet. I'm always touching or messing with them in some way; if they find it irritating, I don't do much of it, but I don't just quit. The current "psycho" was feral and afraid of everything; when he and his siblings were caught at about 6-8 weeks of age, the siblings were calmer and less afraid and thus got adopted out quickly. He was the last one. I suspect that the folks fostering him respected the hissing and spitting he did, and left him to his own devices for the week or two until I got him. I, of course, just laughed at the little fur ball and picked him up and cuddled him irrespective of the amount of hissing and spitting and posturing he did. I came close to naming him HissPurr, because he would hiss at me and then after I picked him up and started massaging him he would start to purr, all within about a minute. He's not clingy by any means, even now.

Now he's my bud. The other human in the house left him as a kitten to his own devices, and now wonders why the cat comes to me instead of him. I can call him and he'll often come to me, whereas he just looks at the "other human".
Posted by: hal
Date: October 28, 2021 02:56PM
My years of cat owning has taught me two important lessons:

- no more long hair cats! (hair EVERYWHERE!)

- no more male cats (maybe aggressive, always hungry, urinary tract issues)

ymmv, but this is what I have taken away...
Date: October 28, 2021 03:04PM
our cats have always been formerly male. Never had an issue with chaos.
Stepping in overnight hurl is never fun, but as long as it's on the hardwood, I'm still flexible enough to put my foot in the sink under running water.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 28, 2021 03:12PM
hal
My years of cat owning has taught me two important lessons:

- no more long hair cats! (hair EVERYWHERE!)

- no more male cats (maybe aggressive, always hungry, urinary tract issues)

ymmv, but this is what I have taken away...

My mileage varied. My first cat was a long-haired male. He did shed, but I've had short-haired cats that shed a whole lot more than he did. He was super laid-back and hardly noticed if you picked him up or moved him, only opening his eyes for a moment as if to say "oh...hey" before closing them again without a care in the world.

He DID like to eat, though.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 28, 2021 06:31PM
Worse than the vomit is the freeloader cat or dog who happens to stumble by (post vomitus) for a nice, warm meal…

As far as the vomiter goes, they've got an empty stomach now… cats (and dogs) are pretty much mouths and noses with a stomach that's never full.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2021 06:33PM by bfd.
Posted by: rz
Date: October 28, 2021 07:54PM
Thrift Store Scott
My first cat was a long-haired male. He did shed, but I've had short-haired cats that shed a whole lot more than he did.

We're down to 4 cats now: 2 male, 2 female. One male is longhair, the other shorthair. Both females are short hair, but one sheds more than the other 3 combined. Our long-haired male is the most mellow, laid back cat you can imagine. Not really aggressive, not always hungry and no UTI issues. But he does have allergies. The other male is aggressive, but he's a lot smaller than the other male, so he gets beaten down a lot. He's small, but he is always hungry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020