advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Went to iOS 15, already regretting it
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 01, 2021 07:38AM
Can't sync Messages through iCloud now without enabling 2FA. This is a serious PITA. If you have quite a few devices, 2FA is incredibly painful. When I tried it, doing anything that required my password resulted in a code going to other devices at random.

If I try to turn Messages sync back on iniCloud settings, it tells me I need 2FA and a new passcode for the phone. I don't want either. Really not happy with Apple right now.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2021 07:44AM by ka jowct.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Went to iOS 15, already regretting it
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: November 01, 2021 07:55AM
I’ve been experiencing a lot glitches in text entry the second I upgraded to 15.

Just on this forum, selecting text is next to impossible, with the cursor auto scrolling towards not just the top of the text, but out of the text entry field, towards the top of the page.

Additionally I’ve stopped trying to use the formatting buttons at the top of theses text boxes. The formatting gets pasted to the first line no matter where it should go. Any formatting, linking, picture embedding all have to be entered manually.

We are not amused.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 01, 2021 08:08AM
For us Neanderthals, what is 2FA?
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 01, 2021 08:12AM
pdq

2 Factor authentication

I think it's time to move out of the cave and learn to use it. Apple did a GREAT job of fixing the mess they made when they first launched 2FA. It's far more secure than just a password.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 01, 2021 08:15AM
2FA is rapidly becoming required everywhere.
I have not really had any issues with iOS 15 or Watch 8

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2021 08:18AM by cbelt3.
Date: November 01, 2021 08:42AM
I'm sure 2FA is OK if you have one computer and one phone and maybe one tablet. It was aggravating beyond my tolerance level, during the day or so that I had it enabled, when codes came in to random devices. I know it's more secure. I would like to know that it won't drive me batcrap crazy every time I sign in on a device.

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 01, 2021 08:52AM
I enabled 2FA some time ago as I believe it was required for the Apple Card being in the wallet. While it was a PITA initially, once everything was settled down and everything had the correct password, it's fine.

Upgrades can take some work, but are usually worth it.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: November 01, 2021 09:42AM
It will not drive you crazy.
If you have twelve devices, you may have to do it twelve times, but that’s it.
Having messages echoed to the other devices will make it easier, since a message sent to your iPhone will come up on your third iPad too.
Settings/appleid/security/get security code is your friend.
[appleid.Apple.com] is good too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2021 09:42AM by rich in distress.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 01, 2021 11:27AM
Prior to 15 my phone was linked to my iPad. Both would ring and I could answer or converse on either. I really preferred using speaker on the pad it was clearer and text were easier to read.

Not sure how to get that link back.
Date: November 01, 2021 11:38AM
On your iPhone go to
Setting/Phone/Calls on other devices and configure.

On iPad, got to Settings/FaceTime/Calls from iPhone, but you may need to do the iPhone first.

As good as it is, it’s still not a habit to use the general search in iOS. Here’s a shortcut:
Pull down from any unused portion of the Home Screen and write phone. Scroll down to the one with the settings icon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2021 11:54AM by rich in distress.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 01, 2021 12:58PM
Working now, thanks rich.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 01, 2021 01:01PM
2FA works great until you're in one country with your phone, which randomly loses your sign-in to iCloud... and both your other devices are 10,000 miles away.
As much as I like the security of 2FA, I'm holding out as long as I can, because Apple has (in the past) screwed it up so badly, it's unusable.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: November 01, 2021 01:55PM
Paul F.
2FA works great until you're in one country with your phone, which randomly loses your sign-in to iCloud... and both your other devices are 10,000 miles away.
As much as I like the security of 2FA, I'm holding out as long as I can, because Apple has (in the past) screwed it up so badly, it's unusable.

Jeez.

Posted by: chopper
Date: November 01, 2021 02:31PM
ka jowct
Can't sync Messages through iCloud now without enabling 2FA. This is a serious PITA. If you have quite a few devices, 2FA is incredibly painful. When I tried it, doing anything that required my password resulted in a code going to other devices at random.

If I try to turn Messages sync back on iniCloud settings, it tells me I need 2FA and a new passcode for the phone. I don't want either. Really not happy with Apple right now.

"Never update." --Chopper
Date: November 01, 2021 02:44PM
SMS does not depend on iCloud, so I think you would still get the auth code, as long as you have phone service.

Hey Chopper! Dying here to salute you a leader or two on your computers!
When are they due?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 01, 2021 05:02PM
pdq

I had to google it. LOL!

Grateful11
Date: November 01, 2021 06:47PM
I bit the bullet and am slowly working through authorizing my various devices. I'm betting that I will have to enter a code for each boot drive in my Mac Pro.

Date: November 02, 2021 06:27AM
2FA still seems flaky. I got a code on the device that I was using, setting it up as a “trusted” device, for use on the same device. Seems like that defeats the purpose. My phone was 2 feet away and not powered off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020