advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can I set up a WiFi mesh with an ethernet backhaul between two identical WiFi routers?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 02, 2021 03:36PM
We're getting a weak signal in the distant parts of our house, and moving the router isn't an option. But I do have another identical router, and I can set up an ethernet backhaul to the part of the house where the signal is weak.

Can I set up a defacto "mesh" where the signal will handoff invisibly from the weaker signal to a stronger signal, no user intervention necessary? Or do I need a true mesh, like an Orbi?

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2021 03:36PM by anonymouse1.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can I set up a WiFi mesh with an ethernet backhaul between two identical WiFi routers?
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 02, 2021 03:39PM
No, I think they would be two different Wi-Fi networks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2021 03:41PM by Carnos Jax.
Re: Can I set up a WiFi mesh with an ethernet backhaul between two identical WiFi routers?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 02, 2021 03:52PM
What model routers?

The main thing you might miss would be seamless movement between the two networks.

Most wifi routers can turn off their router functionality and work just as an Access Point.

Sometimes people give the different routers / access points different names so they can select which point they're connecting to

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 02, 2021 04:14PM
AFAIK, non-mesh routers are not capable of providing backhaul connectivity, a function that requires additional radios not found in non-mesh routers.

It is what it is.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 02, 2021 07:49PM
N-OS X-tasy!
AFAIK, non-mesh routers are not capable of providing backhaul connectivity, a function that requires additional radios not found in non-mesh routers.

but he wants to connect them via Ethernet.
Posted by: John B.
Date: November 02, 2021 09:50PM
Sure, probably.

Turn off the “router” functions of the second router you’re connecting via the Ethernet backhaul. You don’t want two devices managing conflicting/overlapping DHCP address pools, etc.

Create the same SSID/wireless network name on both devices, with the same authentication password. Set the wireless radios on the two devices to different channels so they don’t interfere with each other on the same channel.

After that, wireless devices should move mostly seamlessly between devices...they’ll see the same network name, and be able to log in to the one with the stronger signal. You might see a moment or two of pause if you’re on the move and the device is authenticating/connecting to the other access point. This is how it used to be done before controller-based and mesh wireless networks.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 03, 2021 11:21AM
Yeah what John B. said. I've done this before with a newer and older FiOS routers.
Posted by: numbered
Date: November 03, 2021 01:07PM
You can set up what is called a 'roaming network' with the backhaul. Turn off routing on the second router (often the firmware will have a setting for it as just an access point.) Set the same SSID and password.

Some newer router firmware claims to be able to mesh. If both routers are updated, there may be a mesh selection. (eg, I have seen this with new TP Link stuff.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020