advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"suggestd quit unexpectedly"
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: November 03, 2021 05:07AM
Is anyone out there in MRF land experiencing this annoying notification? I get it several times a day and the report is a long list of information that is not meaningful to me (I am semi computer literate and can usually work my way through other issues). Of course I report it to Apple and, of course, nothing ever happens (not that I expect anything to happen). I have been unable to find anything on the internet, including the Apple forums, that is helpful in resolving whatever issue it is trying to tell me about. I even have a console warning about it.

I have tried restarting, safe boot, disc utility, Tech Tool Pro, resetting NVRAM/PRAM, Command R Disc Utility and reinstalling Mojave (10.14.6) on my Mid-2012 MBP (1T SSD, 16GB Ram).

It doesn't seem to affect anything I'm working on but when it pops up everything freezes and I either have to dismiss it or report it to Apple. If someone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "suggestd quit unexpectedly"
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 03, 2021 06:31AM
System Preferences > Spotlight ... Uncheck the box at the bottom to allow Spotlight suggestions and then un-check Spotlight Suggestions in the section above that.

Disable Contacts > Preferences > General > "Show Contacts Found In Apps" (name varies a little by OS, may reference Siri).

Disable Calendar > Preferences > General > "Show Found In Apps Calendar" (name varies a little by OS, may reference Siri).

Rebuild Spotlight indexes.
[osxdaily.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2021 06:32AM by Sarcany.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 03, 2021 06:48AM
The Doc always helps. Always.
Date: November 03, 2021 07:21AM
Thanks Sarcany. Spotlight is now reindexing. When it finishes I will use my MBP for awhile to see if the notification comes back.

I'll post back, probably this afternoon depending on how long the reindexing takes.

No joy, although the it seems to happen less often. I probably did something wrong. Thanks Sarcany.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2021 06:26AM by MindMeld.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 04, 2021 06:09PM
MindMeld
No joy, although the it seems to happen less often. I probably did something wrong. Thanks Sarcany.

Hmmm... Disabling Siri suggestions in Contacts and Calendars almost always fixes that.

You could try throwing out the contents of ~/Library/Suggestions and rebooting.

Date: November 04, 2021 07:04PM
Sarcany
MindMeld

Hmmm... Disabling Siri suggestions in Contacts and Calendars almost always fixes that.

You could try throwing out the contents of ~/Library/Suggestions and rebooting.

Mea culpa, I think I found my mistake. When setting up the reindexing of Spotlight I did not include my iCloud Drive in the list of drives to "Prevent Spotlight from searching these locations."

Since I did that I haven't seen the annoying notification. Hopefully that finally solved the issue. Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 70
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020