advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Alkaline chemistry: can i use a solution to clean crud?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 07, 2021 06:54PM
Safely. And if so, what would that be?

A rather expensive flashlight has a battery pack insert that was crudded up. Sort of impossible to clean manually with a brush.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Alkaline chemistry: can i use a solution to clean crud?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 07, 2021 07:38PM
Most people use IPA/rubbing alcohol. I will also use a scotch brite scrap if warranted.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 07, 2021 07:43PM
I've had success using White Vinegar, I use it on a Q-Tip and then do a clean-up pass with just water on a Q-Tip.

[www.energizer.com]

The best way to remove alkaline leakage from the device is to neutralize by carefully dabbing with a few drops of a mild acid like white vinegar or lemon juice. For stubborn leaks, an old toothbrush dipped in vinegar or lemon juice gets the job done. After the leakage has been neutralized (fizzing stops), carefully dry the area. After the area has dried thoroughly, the metal device contacts can be scraped to remove any residue and then polished using a pencil eraser.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 07, 2021 08:19PM
I just saw Techmoan on Youtube cleaning battery contacts on some old MD players using lemon juice, since the battery leakage is usually alkaline, the citric acid dissolves it.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: November 07, 2021 09:02PM
GGD
I've had success using White Vinegar, I use it on a Q-Tip and then do a clean-up pass with just water on a Q-Tip....

agree smiley - and then dry thoroughly
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 07, 2021 09:04PM
Were the batteries that leaked a major brand? If so, major battery brands will pay for a replacement. You would have to send the damaged unit in.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 09, 2021 06:44AM
testcase
Were the batteries that leaked a major brand? If so, major battery brands will pay for a replacement. You would have to send the damaged unit in.

Do they still offer that guarantee? I quick glance at Duracell's web site and I could not find any links about this. maybe it's there but they surely don't want you to find it.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 09, 2021 09:57AM
White vinegar and baking soda has worked for me

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 11, 2021 03:05PM
Quick search with DuckDuckGo:

[duckduckgo.com]

Posts seem to address leaking Duracell batteries with mixed results.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 60
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020