advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Plumbing Guidance: 60 Year Old Galvanized 1/2" sprinkler pipe with hole(s)
Posted by: Microman
Date: November 09, 2021 09:24AM
OK this line only is activated 3-6 minutes a day, when that area of the lawn needs to be watered.

I noticed water coming up and out of the raised brick work, and dug into it and found this weakened pipe with holes.

I tried to use the Clamp thing at the bottom of the picture of items I could use to try and stop the water leak when turned on, but even though it was clamped down and the rubber facing the holes, water was still pouring out. Hopefully the only holes are the visible on the top, and that dented looking one to its left in picture.

I really don't want to get into running a new pipe under the brick work. I have seen videos of people using a tape that is fiber, and when wet will get hard, and you wrap it around, working it in the direction of the wind every few minutes for 15 minutes.

And of course I have the option of using a saw and cutting out the bad area, and replacing with either a plastic union, or that galvanized union as seen in the picture.

I guess I am looking for a short time fix and a long term fix. I will be leaving town for a few days, and it will be getting hot, and wanted to keep the lawn from turning browner.

Yes there may be more holes, towards the street, and the water that is on the outside of the flower bed thingy, is just there because I took a rag, and drained the inner to the outer, and I dug on the outside of planter to see what and where the pipe on the outside of planter looked like

Anyone ever use a product that could fix this leak? And or suggestions. Call a plumber would be one, but this is a landscaping thing... maybe I should just call one of those guys that do sprinklers, and see what they would change, thats if someone doesn't recommend a miracle fix. If I thought I wouldn't cause more damage and leaks, I could cut the pipe and thread it. But this pipe where it goes through the planter is in the concrete that was used to lay the bottom of the planter. If more than these two holes are there, maybe a brand new PVC run from the lawn under the walkway. Oh well, something for my back to feel the pain.

LONG VIEW FROM WATER SOURCE UNDER WALK TO LAWN AND LEAK

LEAK IN PLANTER AND AREA ON OUTSIDE AT LAWN. (Disregard water on outside)

WET LEAKY PIPE AREA

DRIED LEAK AREA

DEVICES THAT COULD BE USED TO TRY AND FIX

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Plumbing Guidance: 60 Year Old Galvanized 1/2" sprinkler pipe with hole(s)
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 09, 2021 09:49AM
Sorry to be bringing bad news, but you won't find anything that will work for long. Galvanized, buried in ground for 60 years, you patch up one leak and it will just pop out at the next weak spot.

Short term repairs are unlikely to work well either. The pipe is jut too damaged and weakened by this point in time.

There are methods of running new pipe that will not require much disturbance of the brickwork. A good plumber or someone specializing in sprinkler systems should be able to install a replacement system or connection.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 09, 2021 10:30AM
JoeH
Sorry to be bringing bad news, but you won't find anything that will work
for long. Galvanized, buried in ground for 60 years, you patch up one
leak and it will just pop out at the next weak spot.
.This

What might work is to cut the steel as shown below & cut inside house
where it's connected. Then attempt to pull out. If successful, you've
avoided digging a trench; then replace with flexible pvc.
Otherwise, it's dig time. btw, I've seen this work a few times.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 09, 2021 10:57AM
I wonder if you could connect a flexible pipe to the galvanized and pull it. You might have to cut the galvanized pipe as you pull sections so as to not need to dig a long trench.

Other option is to push PVC pipe thru the hole after pulling the galvanized. Might need to flush it before sealing up to clear any debris in the pipe.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 09, 2021 11:18AM
You might get an idea of the techniques, tools or implements to use from one of these YouTubes.

[m.youtube.com]
Date: November 09, 2021 11:26AM

Ran across this epoxy, to try. Guy suggested I use that 1/2" clamp that came with a little piece of rubber, after using the epoxy all around the pipe in the weakened area.

But this stuff dries pretty fast, 5-10 minutes, So mix to one color, put some in obvious holes, and then wrap around entire pipe like clay, and then add that clamp.... and wondering if the clamp would really be necessary at this time. If this doesn't work.. am thinking

Of only other option would be to make the cut as suggested above and then remove toward the grass side under one side of the planter. And that would be the next step.

I could thread the remaining end coming from the source or use a coupler, maybe the metal one?? to go from existing galvanized where I cut it to a PVC, if there is such a thing... Threaded would be tighter, but I have done other work on the Galvanized pipe in other location, and there it stood up to cutting and rethreading....

So what do you think EPOXY by itself wrapped around pipe and no clamp, or clamp. If this stuff hardens as they say it doesn't I cant see the clamp doing anything but getting in the way??, Thoughts... After I come back from Louisiana for Grand Daughters wedding, I will determine if a better job will be needed.

So start with something simple, (Epoxy), and if that works, keep hole open and keep an eye on it.... in the mean time, gather my threading tools, and be prepared for digging some.

PS, just saw the above post about boring a pipe under a walkway or driveway. Great Info.. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2021 11:28AM by Microman.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 09, 2021 11:36AM
Two thoughts about boring: Break it up into shorter sessions so you don’t wear yourself out, physically or mentally. And, the ground should be soft and easy to drill since it’s saturated with water.
Posted by: chopper
Date: November 09, 2021 11:57AM
Wow. I assume freezing does not happen there??
Date: November 09, 2021 05:37PM
Southern California, near 5 miles inland from the Queen Mary, in Long Beach, Ca
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 09, 2021 10:04PM
Can you guide a fish tape through the old pipe and then pull a thin flexible line as a replacement? Since it will be much smaller in diameter, run the water for a longer time period.

Or use a string attached to a small ball and let water push it through, then pull a heavier cord and your smaller tubing.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2021 10:07PM by Speedy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020