Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
what's wrong with deckeda's dog: a follow-up
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 10, 2021 09:13AM
[forums.macresource.com]

She's gained significant weight, largely from the steroids helping her keep food down. So that's good. The procedures to feed her involve placement in a thing that keeps her upright and either feeding her with a blended mix of stuff via spatula, or sometimes letting her lap at ice or plain jello-like stuff.

We take her outside to potty, which is partially successful; the steroids make her pee often. The feeding is mostly successful but she can't keep it all down reliably.

The steroids are now being reduced because of two serious issues. Steroids make her fat while simultaneously causing her joints to have problems. So her feet never developed correctly, they point outwards kinda. And we think one shoulder got dislocated perhaps from picking her up and she cries.

More serious is the steroids suppress her immune system, and the latest vet visit detected a small amount of pneumonia, which will be her death sentence if not corrected.

As for the cause of all of this "i.e. puppy strangles," the latest X-ray shows her esophagus being just way too large of a diameter. You should barely be able to see it in an X-ray and her's is just huge and taking up way too much space, and not doing it's job.

It contributes to her inability to breathe well. She's such a sweetheart, but her quality of life sucks and it's about all she can do to lay around all day unless being fed or taken outside. This can't continue.

I'm not pushing my wife, but I do frequently ask her how the pup is doing to hopefully help her reach a decision eventually.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: what's wrong with deckeda's dog: a follow-up
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: November 10, 2021 09:30AM
It is sounding like the hardest decision is going to be the best decision.

It sounds like your family has been the angels in this pupper’s inevitably short life. Thanks to all of you she has at least basked in love and caring for a brief time. I have no doubt, even through her distress, she returns that love.

When the time to rest comes, all involved, four footed and two, can end this chapter knowing it has been a oasis of genuine love. You have done well.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 10, 2021 04:56PM
Steroids are a huge double edged sword. We went though this snake dance with two cats. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.
You have been a good doggie dad. So sorry you are having to go through this. It always seems to be the super sweet pets that have to go through things like this. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 10, 2021 07:42PM
deckeda

As for the cause of all of this "i.e. puppy strangles," the latest X-ray shows her esophagus being just way too large of a diameter. You should barely be able to see it in an X-ray and her's is just huge and taking up way too much space, and not doing it's job.

Esophageal achalasia with secondary megaesophagus?
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 11, 2021 06:52PM
Blankity Blank
It is sounding like the hardest decision is going to be the best decision.

It sounds like your family has been the angels in this pupper’s inevitably short life. Thanks to all of you she has at least basked in love and caring for a brief time. I have no doubt, even through her distress, she returns that love.

When the time to rest comes, all involved, four footed and two, can end this chapter knowing it has been a oasis of genuine love. You have done well.

Well said.

As a dogsitter to several pets that have aged out in the past few years, my decision would be based on the quality of life of the animal, and of course the people who deal with the animal daily are the best ones to make that call. It takes some a little more time to make peace with that realization.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020