advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Easy good diabetic meals for newly diagnosed truck driving brother?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 10, 2021 12:53PM
His A1C was 9.2. He had no idea he was diabetic. He needs to get it down to the 6’s in three months. He eats one or two meals a day out of his ice chest. He doesn’t drink sugared colas or fruit juice. He’s been eating a candy bar between meals. He likes boiled eggs so that’s good. He can make an omelette for breakfast. He goes to work around 3:00 PM and works close to 12 hours, so he doesn’t really get a chance to have a real supper.

Things that are freezable would be great, as well as things that can be eaten cold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2021 01:10PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Easy good diabetic meals for newly diagnosed truck driving brother?
Posted by: STL
Date: November 10, 2021 01:10PM
Stop the carbs and sweets.
Contact a nutritionist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2021 01:11PM by STL.
Date: November 10, 2021 01:12PM
My mom and I, both diabetics, have had lousy results with nutritionists, who toe the ADA line of too many carbs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2021 01:13PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 10, 2021 01:23PM
Beef sticks/beef jerkey (Duke's is really good and doesn't have added sugar and they have a bunch of flavors). Cheese sticks or string cheese. Hard boiled eggs. Low carb granola bars. Mixed nuts.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: STL
Date: November 10, 2021 02:27PM
A work associate did what his doctor suggested and dumped carbs and sweets.
A1C dropped from about 9 to just over 5 in about 12months.
During that time he also dropped about 20lbs.
You've got to stick with it, No cheating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2021 02:28PM by STL.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: November 10, 2021 02:29PM
I’ve heard diet soft drinks are almost as bad as regular. Something related to insulin resistance mumble…
Steamed fish and greens can be made in 15 minutes I’d say. Seasoning may take some experimentation.
Good luck to him. It’s doable, but breaking habits is hard.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 10, 2021 03:11PM
You didn’t mention his weight.

The driver I most often paired trips with was diabetic. He ate what I ate which wasn’t healthy eating - lots of McDonald’s, etc., anything fast. At about age 57 he developed cancer on his tongue and lost 30 pounds during treatment and was considered no longer diabetic (no more daily blood sugar testing, no dietary restrictions). He beat the cancer, then went back to his old eating habits and was once again overweight and diabetic. Now almost 15 years later he is still carrying that extra weight but at least his diabetes hasn’t gotten more severe.

As far as food recommendations, I’ve got nothing.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 10, 2021 03:20PM
I think he should make his own beef jerky. He should eat fruit when he craves a snack. He should try to give himself a good budget for fresh foods.

Date: November 10, 2021 03:25PM
He’s about ten pounds overweight, if that.

Isn’t homemade beef jerky where you take $20 worth of meat and make it into $10 worth of meat?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 10, 2021 03:28PM
If you want to buy stuff, any ready to eat called "keto" is a good place to start.

Beyond that, dump the white foods-sugar, flour, rice, potatoes. Green veggies are good, moderate protein is good, healthy fats are good-nuts and avocados.
Date: November 10, 2021 03:28PM
Dennis S
Isn’t homemade beef jerky where you take $20 worth of meat and make it into $10 worth of meat?

Anything can be done poorly.
Posted by: chopper
Date: November 10, 2021 04:31PM
Less roller dogs, more roller salad.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 10, 2021 04:34PM
anonymouse1
If you want to buy stuff, any ready to eat called "keto" is a good place to start.

Beyond that, dump the white foods-sugar, flour, rice, potatoes. Green veggies are good, moderate protein is good, healthy fats are good-nuts and avocados.

cry smiley
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 10, 2021 04:37PM
We tried the jerky, but found we were just eating to much of it. It was costing a fortune.

Hard-boiled eggs, especially if you skip the yoke a couple of times. Snack of cut veggies, fresh ground peanut butter (not skippy, jif, etc), soda crackers and cheese.

The best thing is to lose weight. Get out and walk, if nothing else he could walk around his rig twice before getting in every time - the additional benefit is the safety check

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: fauch
Date: November 10, 2021 04:45PM
It's not only sugar. Seriously cut down on any Bread, Pasta, Rice, Potatoes etc. They can be even worse than actual sugar (rice is for me). High protein, low carb and make sure the carbs don't have a high glycemic index.

I was diagnosed at like 8.9 and got it down to around 6 in a few months just by not eating garbage. Now I'm a bit more liberal and hover around 6.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2021 04:47PM by fauch.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 10, 2021 05:26PM
From the get-go, ignore the ADA. This is one of the single worst US medical associations. It has been thoroughly infested by big grain thinking for 60 years. Their meal suggestions/recommendations are almost acceptable if you eliminate all the grains/carbs.

A couple of brands of snack/meal-replacement bars are barely acceptable.

Meal prep at home is fine, but it will take a HUGE change to really get it turned around. For store bought meals, it is the standard troika easy/good/cheap -- pick any two. Anything easy and good will be $5 to $6, $4.50 on special, and they have borderline too much carbs. Just about every brand of 'protein drink' has too much added sugar.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: November 10, 2021 06:05PM
I know all about the ADA and their ridiculous diet ideas.
Date: November 10, 2021 06:10PM
IMO this is mostly about his ability to change his behavior. Its also about whether he can pay more for his food. He should try a lot of fruit and veg and not worry about the price. Address the price portion of things once he knows what he likes. Eating fresh fruit and veg might mean more trips to the grocery store but they should be quicker - hopefully its not a long trip for him.

Hopefully he can eat healthier AND enjoy his food more although not everyone can get there mentally / emotionally.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 11, 2021 02:31PM
Matt,

Fauch is spot-on. As a diabetic, I'll add a few things.

It isn't just a change in diet. It's a change in mindset and lifestyle. The days of just grabbing a candy bar and using that to curb his appetite for a short time are over. One of the things he's going to need the most is willpower. Sugar and carbs can be very addictive. Think chips. It's very difficult to eat just one.

If your brother is married, he needs to make sure his family is there to support the changes. It isn't so much avoiding carby and sugar food in his presence. It is to keep him in check, cheer him on as he makes the changes and celebrating the success as he lowers his A1C to safe levels.

1. Exercise. A well rounded program, preferably. I like cardio boxing.
2. Lose weight. This in itself will make a difference.
3. Reduce carb intake. All carbs. Sugar. Starches. Breads. Pasta. Chips. You name it. You can't avoid carbs entirely but you can definitely reduce them. Switch to low-carb or no carb drinks, i.e. seltzer, sugar-free almond milk, diet soda, etc.
4. Switch to low-carb substitutes for carbs when possible, i.e. low-carb wraps instead of regular wraps and bread, low-carb pasta made from beans, lentils, etc. baked cheese chips, pork rinds, nuts and other low-carb crunchies help tremendously.
4. Increase protein intake. Beef, chicken, fish, you name it. Skip jerky and switch to biltong. It's similar to jerky. Unlike the vast majority of jerky, biltong is nearly always sugar-free. Some brands of jerky have very little sugar. Most commonly available brands have a large amount of it.

Netrition.com has an excellent selection of diabetic friendly foods ranging from bread to snacks to drinks.

Low-carb wraps will work well for him. I've had many low-carb PB&J sandwiches made from low-carb Mission wraps, peanut butter and low-carb grape jelly. Same goes for sandwiches of all sorts. It's just a matter of choosing the ingredients, wrapping them up and scarfing them.

He needs to invest in a quality accurate glucose meter and test his blood sugar multiple times per day. His health insurance company will subsidize the cost of the meter and, more importantly, the finger sticks. If he doesn't have health insurance, choose the quality accurate meter and then use goodrx.com to get the sticks at lower costs.

With an A1C that high, I'm betting his doctor has put him on Metformin, Jardiance, Januvia or some combination of them. One or more of them will help get his blood sugar down very quickly as he implements the changes necessary to his diet, lifestyle and mindset. Once his blood sugar is under control, the doctor will slowly reduce the doses and quantity of meds. If he does well enough, he may be able to get rid of them entirely. This assumes I'm correct and he's been put on something to help get his blood sugar under control as he changes his diet, lifestyle and mindset.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020